Back up Camera for Porsche 991

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 05:30 PM
nleeumd is on a distinguished road
Back up Camera for Porsche 991

http://www.tadibrothers.com/Catalog/...-Camera-System

This looks like a fairly new offering in the land of backup camera options. I am curious if anyone has tried it. The price seems very high for a simple camera, not sure if I want to go the license plate option, but wanted to see if anyone has installed this yet.

Last edited by nleeumd; 09-22-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:21 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
I had a much less feature rich camera installed for about $1,600.00. It only looks straight back and has no lines/guide the move as you turn in reverse. It only look back about 4 feet. Still better than nothing.

Just picked up a BMW 328xi this weekend. The electronics put my 991 to shame. Sorry to have to say it, but it is true.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:16 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
The view from the camera looks very oem like but it does show panamera in the image ... Doesn't panamera come with this? I'm not very sure how authentic this system and the advertisement is....

AG991... So you went with 328xi instead if GLK for your wife?

Old 09-23-2013, 05:47 AM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fester
The view from the camera looks very oem like but it does show panamera in the image ... Doesn't panamera come with this? I'm not very sure how authentic this system and the advertisement is....

AG991... So you went with 328xi instead if GLK for your wife?
Hi Fester. To quote from Trading Places, "can't we have both?". My Subaru, which I did not like, was coming up on the end of the lease so the 328xi is for me - and for my daughter to learn on (more on that in another thread - I don't want to hijack this one). The GLK is for the wife, and that is on order - she loved it - it is an SUV so I hated it. Between those two, and the new kitchen coming in, any dream I had of a turbo are out the window for a while - the money cupboard is bare!

Old 09-23-2013, 08:22 AM
Go123 has a spectacular aura aboutGo123 has a spectacular aura about
Probably not necessary if you have Park Assist, but I wonder if it integrates with the sensors, showing the image with proximity alerts.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by Go123
Probably not necessary if you have Park Assist, but I wonder if it integrates with the sensors, showing the image with proximity alerts.
I would, with respect, disagree. I have Park Assist. It is OK for big things, like not backing up into a wall. But, it does a very poor job on objects near the ground - like parking barriers/bumpers. Indeed, the front Park Assist has been a disappointment to me because of this - anything big enough to be seen on a front facing camera, I can see thorough the window - proximity to one of those splitter-killing parking bumpers that are 6 inches off of the ground when I am parking - I can't see below the level of the hood and wish I could rely on Park Assist to help - it is very inconsistent on this.
To me, a rear camera could make Park Assist redundant, but not the other way around.

And, if you get the front Park Assist, you will have to drill the front bumper to mount the license plate - the mounts that fit in the tow hook mount will block it and can't be used - at least that was the case when I bought mine 18 months ago. It is the one option I would likely not order again. JMHO!

Old 09-23-2013, 09:00 AM
Go123 has a spectacular aura aboutGo123 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by AG991
I would, with respect, disagree. I have Park Assist. It is OK for big things, like not backing up into a wall. But, it does a very poor job on objects near the ground - like parking barriers/bumpers. Indeed, the front Park Assist has been a disappointment to me because of this - anything big enough to be seen on a front facing camera, I can see thorough the window - proximity to one of those splitter-killing parking bumpers that are 6 inches off of the ground when I am parking - I can't see below the level of the hood and wish I could rely on Park Assist to help - it is very inconsistent on this.
To me, a rear camera could make Park Assist redundant, but not the other way around.

And, if you get the front Park Assist, you will have to drill the front bumper to mount the license plate - the mounts that fit in the tow hook mount will block it and can't be used - at least that was the case when I bought mine 18 months ago. It is the one option I would likely not order again. JMHO!
Valid point, In my Audi A6, the 360 degree camera with front and rear sensors is the ultimate solution. Hopefully Porsche will have an OEM option soon and that could be adopted to earlier years.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by Go123
Valid point, In my Audi A6, the 360 degree camera with front and rear sensors is the ultimate solution. Hopefully Porsche will have an OEM option soon and that could be adopted to earlier years.
I agree with you completely on that point. I have seen the Audi system - it is very good. And the 2013 BMW I just purchased is also, but no front camera - still, better ground clearance and the side camera allows you to cheat. Overall, the electronics and computer systems of the Audi and BMW are far better than those of Porsche. The voice module alone is so much better in the BMW - and one thing about driving experience - it is enhanced, and safer, when you never have to take your eyes off of the road. I share your hope that Porsche improves - and offers a retrofit - which the never do.

On the other hand, I am not rushing out to sell my 991 - on every other measure it is sooooooo much better!

Old 09-23-2013, 11:42 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Both systems have their place.. Reverse cameras are great because you have such a blindspot, and gives you a situational awareness of kids, stuff that is more of a distance.... stuff the sensor would never go off on.. Personally a front camera would be less value to me than a rear..

Agree park assist is good, but I like it more for super tight places where you are inching in or back... Don't get into them as much in suburban california, but everytime I'm in europe driving, the parking garages always seem to be made for super tiny cars.. and these days the cars I rent seem to always cause a tight squeeze.. So front and back park assist is a nice thing...

Interesting on the front lic bumper issue covering the sensor if you use the tow hook.. I've got this same issue on another car.. I only install the plate when I'm going somewhere I know they are going to ticket me.. Other than the parking lot at LAX, I've never had any problems in the last 30 years in California being pulled over or ticketed.. It is usually only at the airport that I've had any problems. So now I just put the plate on when leaving my car there..

Originally Posted by AG991