Stereo Upgrade Audison/Focal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 01:32 PM
Did's is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by robbieracer
A few more PICs
Hi Robbieracer, I was wondering why you don't have the filters for the 165KRX3 ?
On your trunk picture we can see 4 filters, I assume 1kit for front and 1 kit for rear, but both kits correspond to the 100KRS, you did something special ?

Old 03-13-2016, 09:18 AM
robbieracer will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Did's
Hi Robbieracer, I was wondering why you don't have the filters for the 165KRX3 ?
On your trunk picture we can see 4 filters, I assume 1kit for front and 1 kit for rear, but both kits correspond to the 100KRS, you did something special ?
Good eye. Yes, the 3" mid from the 165KRS was replaced with a 4" mid from the 100KRS to get a lower mid-range, the crossovers were also replaced. I'm sure the 3" will sound great, but my stereo shop did a little upgrade to make it even better.

Old 03-13-2016, 03:36 PM
Hi, When you said that the spacer is a 6mm one, you mean the larger part that you screw on the door, correct ? I will name it "the plate"...
After you have a second spacer (circular ring) between this 6mm plate and the 165mm woofer, correct ?
I measured in total a need for a 26mm total spacer. This is strange but on your picture I have the feeling that it's lower. Below 26mm, in my case, the back of the woofer will touch the window (when window down).
Do you remember the total thickness of your spacer : the plate + the circular ring ?
Many thanks...

Last edited by Did's; 03-13-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:47 PM
My plate is 6mm that screws into the door. I then have a ring screwed into the plate, the total thickness it 21mm. It worked for me, maybe your 26mm calculation isn't correct?

Old 03-15-2016, 12:28 AM
Excellent, I took 5mm margin thinking that door black plastic panel can ''unfortunately'' move when we close the door / "huge" speaker weight --> with window open I wanted to secure the back of the speaker from touching the window...
So, it fits, really great your information, thanks a lot :-)

Old 03-20-2016, 02:22 AM
Install not finished but on good way...
For the woofer, I finally used 25mm spacers : 10mm (in contact with the black door plastic panel) +15mm (in contact with the speaker)
For the medium this is a 6mm spacer
Also some work to damp / nvh all the door wiring (back side & front side), plastic box (DCU) and so on...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020260.JPG
Views:	715
Size:	3.53 MB
ID:	443127   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020256.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	3.21 MB
ID:	443128  
Old 03-20-2016, 07:22 AM
porsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to behold
Yup a couple of my previous Porsches had the Bose, not too impressed. With this car went with the Burmester, but for $3500, I was thinking get the base stereo then upgrade it for something better. Hard to beat that Burmester for sound, but is it worth the price. For a car with a base price of $182k you think it would be a standard no cost option, of course neither is leather.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:19 AM
Did's, I'm sure you'll happy with the sounds once complete. Good job!
porsche42, I agree, for such expensive cars the audio is weak, the Burmester should be the standard stereo in these cars.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:36 PM
In one word INCREDIBLE !!! I didn't expect to have such result, impressed...
I still have to put the sub but for what ??? perhaps just to be state of the art.
Nevertheless I have an issue engine running with EMI on the rear right filter (the medium output), Focal will change it...

For the integration of the TN53K Tweeters, I made a drawing for people who want to integrate them in the Dashboard with Burmester set-up

Name:	P1020269.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	3.59 MB
ID:	443620   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020272.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	3.50 MB
ID:	443621  

Last edited by Did's; 03-23-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:18 PM
Fendiesal is on a distinguished road
I love a good clean install. bring on the popcorn

Old 04-10-2016, 11:03 AM
I reworked the install / EMI issue while engine running and wasted many time to find best filters locations.
Indeed in the passenger cell EMI is a real issue and this is extremely hard to find locations where the filters are not disturbed while engine running, really a nightmare...
(I wanted to avoid to put the filters and amp in the trunk / volume needed, but afterwards....)
I installed the KRX3 filters (without their plastic box) at the top of the fuse box for the right speakers and closed to the subwoofer for the left speakers.
For the KRS 100 (also without their plastic box), the most difficult location to find / rear EMI coming from the engine ECU, fuses box..., I put them (with Aluminum EMI protection) below the engine carpet sticked on the rear left and right speakers panels : not 100% EMI free but noway to get rid off EMI for the rear....

Old 04-12-2016, 06:17 PM
PorV8 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by robbieracer
My car came with the Bose system and I went in open minded even though I've never heard a factory system that was music to my ears. I had the HK system in my previous BMW and that only lasted 3 weeks before I swapped out everything except the head unit. I never liked Bose for home systems; I always thought they were over rated and just good marketing made them so popular. Anyway, I gave this car a good month and decided it just wasn't going to satisfy my musical tastes. It was too muffled and lacked clarity. I stopped by my local installer which specializes in Porsches. Every time I've ever been in the store I've seen anywhere from 1 - 3 Porsches, so I knew if I did a upgrade he was going to do it. He never worked on the new 991 (PCM3.1), and I didn’t want to be the guinea pig, but he assured me it would go well and sound great.

I initially built a sub box that fit in the rear shelf, I made it as large as possible and was able to get 1 cu ft. but the thing was a tank, 30 lbs without a sub even in it and we’re already back end heavy. I've always believed a sub should be hidden in a trunk and that's not possible on the 911. I like a clean interior (OEM look) with everything hidden. I did a lot Internet researching tracking down what's in these cars (since my installer wasn’t familiar with the new design) and found a few different sites with the Bose/Burmester system and found some sizes and location where the OEM sub/speakers were located. I then found the Focal Utopia Be 5" sub and thought maybe that's an option. My installer said those were great little subs. I had a couple weeks prior to bringing my car in so I started investigating where the OEM sub is actually located. It's basically under the tweeter on the driver side. To access it you have to remove the shin airbag, remove a screw for a air duct and unclip two bracket sections of module and plug-in harness. But, you don't have to unplug any connection plugs, just move them to the side to gain access to the underside of the top of the dash. There are three bolts holding the sub in place. I had a sore neck after figuring out all that and removing it, it a very tight squeeze but it'll come out. I did all the measurements and decided to buy the Focal 5”sub. It fits great in the OEM location with minimal modification to the sub bracket. There is a sound chamber that runs from the driver side to passenger side and then two 2" sound ports at each side to let the sound in (driver side) or out (passenger side). See PIC below ofthe driver side to get an idea. I installed the sub and let my local installer do all the rest.

Initially an Audison Bit One was used to sum the Bose amp, but for whatever reason it didn’t work well and lack sound clarity. My installer has used it on Panamera’s but for some reason he couldn’t get it to work well with the PCM3.1 so it was replaced with Audio Control DQ-61 to sum the channels. He also replaced the 3” midrange of the165KRX3 up front with a 4” from the 100 KRS to get the mid-bass frequencies a little lower. Overall, I’m over joyed with the system. It has great bass and super clear highs. It sounds awesome at lower volume levels as well as when I crank it up.

Build:
Audison LRX 6.9 amp
Arc Audio 125.5 sub amp
Audio Control DQ-61 processor
Focal 165KRx3
Focal100KRS
Focal Utopia Be 13W (5")sub
So curious on the performance of the Focal Utopia sub which requires sealed enclosure. How does it sound under the dash? Please let me know I am about to order one.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:59 AM
The system sounded really good. I'm not sure if the tiny sub is needed, but I'm sure it added a little low frequencies to the system. The woofers in the doors put out good bass. I cheated a little to get more out of the sub. There is a air chamber across the entire dash for the sub; there is a sound port at the passenger side and I sprayed a little canned foam in there to create a sealed compartment for the sub.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:04 PM
Hi Rob, I finally ordered the Utopia Sub...even if not really sure that it will bring something / incredible performance of the 165KRX3...
Regarding your modification / foam in the sub compartment, you confirm that in the case of the Focal sub, the sealed design is better than the bass reflex one ?

Nota : Regarding the bass from the 165KRX3 woofer, it took me many time to get rid of the rattles from the holder panel. I cover all the panel with bitumen plate. Did you face to such problem ?

Name:	P1020287.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	3.26 MB
ID:	445720   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020285.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	3.70 MB
ID:	445721  
Old 04-14-2016, 02:10 PM
Yes, the Utopia 13WS recommends a sealed compartment. This is from their specs: sealed box volume: 0.11-0.18 cubic feet.
I've heard the panel clips in the 991 aren't as good as previous 996 & 997 cars. I always had new rattles throughout the car and dealer fixed them along the way, but it never seamed to last long and another one would appear.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Stereo Upgrade Audison/Focal