Stereo Upgrade Audison/Focal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 02:27 PM
Did's is on a distinguished road
In my case it was not linked to the clips but rather to the speaker all panel resonance under low frequencies, I tried foam compressed between the speaker panel and the interior trim panel, no way...the bitumen plate was the solution.
For the sound port on the right side we have to remove the gloves box to reach it ?

Old 04-14-2016, 02:33 PM
robbieracer will become famous soon enough
I'd suggest trying out the sound before doing the spray in foam, it maybe fine. Or maybe even make a small sub box and see if you can tell a difference sealed or nonsealed. I believe the glove box does have to be removed.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:59 PM
Hi, Sub Utopia 13WS installed, I changed the phase to have the best sound output.
No comparaison with the Bose which delivered bass really not tightened
The capability to drive bass with the full system is so good that you have to take care to not overrun them. I set the bass on the head to -2db (the rest to 0). I will make measurements later, after run-in...
Thanks a lot Rob for all the good recommendations, it helped me a lot !
Great, really great result !

Rem : I did not seal the volume for the sub, it was OK like that, let's see later...

Last edited by Did's; 04-19-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:28 AM
robbieracer will become famous soon enough
Sounds excellent Did's! I'm glad I could help out, I'm sure others will read this in the future for reference too, so all your contributions are great too! Enjoy the system, you earned it after all the labor you put into it; now you have a great car with awesome sound for your ears too.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:41 AM
A second way to fix the sub on the Bose holder, I did it like that keeping Bose screws set-up...
If one of you need a Bose sub, I have one...but really, it's a big sh... and at 199€ the Focal one, all people with a Bose should update it :-)...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020288.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	3.35 MB
ID:	446389  

Last edited by Did's; 04-23-2016 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:45 AM
Sbh991 is an unknown quantity at this point
question on DSP/Amp wiring

Originally Posted by robbieracer
My car came with the Bose system and I went in open minded even though I've never heard a factory system that was music to my ears. I had the HK system in my previous BMW and that only lasted 3 weeks before I swapped out everything except the head unit. I never liked Bose for home systems; I always thought they were over rated and just good marketing made them so popular. Anyway, I gave this car a good month and decided it just wasn't going to satisfy my musical tastes. It was too muffled and lacked clarity. I stopped by my local installer which specializes in Porsches. Every time I've ever been in the store I've seen anywhere from 1 - 3 Porsches, so I knew if I did a upgrade he was going to do it. He never worked on the new 991 (PCM3.1), and I didn’t want to be the guinea pig, but he assured me it would go well and sound great.

I initially built a sub box that fit in the rear shelf, I made it as large as possible and was able to get 1 cu ft. but the thing was a tank, 30 lbs without a sub even in it and we’re already back end heavy. I've always believed a sub should be hidden in a trunk and that's not possible on the 911. I like a clean interior (OEM look) with everything hidden. I did a lot Internet researching tracking down what's in these cars (since my installer wasn’t familiar with the new design) and found a few different sites with the Bose/Burmester system and found some sizes and location where the OEM sub/speakers were located. I then found the Focal Utopia Be 5" sub and thought maybe that's an option. My installer said those were great little subs. I had a couple weeks prior to bringing my car in so I started investigating where the OEM sub is actually located. It's basically under the tweeter on the driver side. To access it you have to remove the shin airbag, remove a screw for a air duct and unclip two bracket sections of module and plug-in harness. But, you don't have to unplug any connection plugs, just move them to the side to gain access to the underside of the top of the dash. There are three bolts holding the sub in place. I had a sore neck after figuring out all that and removing it, it a very tight squeeze but it'll come out. I did all the measurements and decided to buy the Focal 5”sub. It fits great in the OEM location with minimal modification to the sub bracket. There is a sound chamber that runs from the driver side to passenger side and then two 2" sound ports at each side to let the sound in (driver side) or out (passenger side). See PIC below ofthe driver side to get an idea. I installed the sub and let my local installer do all the rest.

Initially an Audison Bit One was used to sum the Bose amp, but for whatever reason it didn’t work well and lack sound clarity. My installer has used it on Panamera’s but for some reason he couldn’t get it to work well with the PCM3.1 so it was replaced with Audio Control DQ-61 to sum the channels. He also replaced the 3” midrange of the165KRX3 up front with a 4” from the 100 KRS to get the mid-bass frequencies a little lower. Overall, I’m over joyed with the system. It has great bass and super clear highs. It sounds awesome at lower volume levels as well as when I crank it up.

Build:
Audison LRX 6.9 amp
Arc Audio 125.5 sub amp
Audio Control DQ-61 processor
Focal 165KRx3
Focal100KRS
Focal Utopia Be 13W (5")sub

I realize your post is from a few months back, but wanted to make an inquiry...I did a similar setup to my 991 using ARC PS8 DSP, Mille and Hertz speakers and JL 8" woofers with 2 amps/1000 watts. 2 issues I am having is with the 991 if you even glance at the car (sarcasm of course) the car wakes up. so when I open the drivers door you can hear a slight pop thru the speaker (seemingly dsp/amp waking up). We have dialed in a delay on the DSP, however when I turn the ignition key I get a much louder crackle...wondering if you or anyone on thread has diagnosed this problem? I have heard about using the signal sense input in DSP for turning on amp and other common issue can be some ignition noise with increase in rpms which may be resolved with ground loop isolater on input side of processor...anyway appreciate any additional input? thanks sbh991

Old 08-18-2018, 05:33 PM
BrntRubber is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Sbh991
I realize your post is from a few months back, but wanted to make an inquiry...I did a similar setup to my 991 using ARC PS8 DSP, Mille and Hertz speakers and JL 8" woofers with 2 amps/1000 watts. 2 issues I am having is with the 991 if you even glance at the car (sarcasm of course) the car wakes up. so when I open the drivers door you can hear a slight pop thru the speaker (seemingly dsp/amp waking up). We have dialed in a delay on the DSP, however when I turn the ignition key I get a much louder crackle...wondering if you or anyone on thread has diagnosed this problem? I have heard about using the signal sense input in DSP for turning on amp and other common issue can be some ignition noise with increase in rpms which may be resolved with ground loop isolater on input side of processor...anyway appreciate any additional input? thanks sbh991
Bringing this thread back to life.

I am looking to upgrade all the speakers in the door.

Can anyone confirm if the JL Audio 8w1v3 fits in the doors? I am concerned about depth and if with excursion they hit the door panel.

Thank you
Thank you