Another PDK failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 02:41 PM
robbieracer will become famous soon enough
Another PDK failure

There are a few other PDK failures for our car posted here but I thought I'd add to the list to keep everyone informed of another failure. My car is a early 2012 model with 37k miles.
Driving home on Tuesday the car lost power like it was in neutral then jumped in and out of gear a couple times. I had a "yellow" drivetrain failure on the dash. Pulled over the tried to back into a parking space but reverse didn't work, so coasted backwards. Called Porsche and they said I should be able to drive it if it's a yellow warning, not red. Started the car and wouldn't go into drive or reverse. The drivetrain fault turned into a check engine fault. When flatbed arrived I was able to drive in forward and in reverse, but engine fault was still there. At Porsche dealer, they could drive it too.
They downloaded the error codes and sent them to Atlanta, which sounded like there were many. Cleared them and drove it, same thing happened to them as I described. They needed to send another tech with computer to download and clear the codes again in order to drive it back to the dealer. They sent those codes to Atlanta too. Next step is replace valve body on transmission, it should arrive tomorrow. The step after that would be to replace transmission which another member here experienced. More to come...

Old 10-25-2013, 03:34 PM
amdave is on a distinguished road
That sucks! Sorry to hear that!

Old 10-25-2013, 03:40 PM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Sucks big time !

Old 10-25-2013, 07:08 PM
dyim will become famous soon enough
What modes do you normally drive your car in?

Normal/ sport/ or sport+? Track use? Use the paddle much?

This is making me rethink the extended warranty.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:41 PM
black_991s is on a distinguished road
Glad I got my extended warranty :-) I'm actually curious to know how much a new PDK costs.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:36 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I am trying to figure out why so many posts appear with a 991 PDK problem and none appeared with the 997 . Although it was a common 997 complaint that the auto downshift from second to first in sport auto mode was jerky that was about the only common snag. Oddly enough the 991 was totally smooth when I test drove it . The PDK was so improved !!

This brings up a general concern of mine with PDK . If the technology of this unit is evolving rapidly then I feel it will become dated quickly . If these flaws or "failures" are part of the growing pains of PDK then plunking down 115+K for a car is (IMO) a high priced risk exposure .

1) Replacing an out of warranty PDK might be very expensive
2) A dated PDK in an otherwise contemporary 911 poses a resale nightmare
3) number 1 and number 2 combined has the potential to take a very expensive new car and subject a long term owner to facing a loss .

Last edited by yrralis1; 10-25-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:52 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Yuck! As much as I remember, these pdk transmission issues have been reported predominately on MY2012 991 cars. It could be due to:
1. either pdk is unreliable and issues show up on high mileage cars
2. There's a fix in MY2013 991 cars

??

Old 10-26-2013, 06:38 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Did I miss something? This is the first 991 PDK that I have heard about after a few thousand miles (infant mortality) period and only in early 2012 cars. My June 2012 car is much better than my 2009 PDK in shifting smoothness (up and down) and has given me no trouble at all. Conversely, my 2007 MT had to have a clutch replaced at 35K miles and was almost $4,000 (warranty).

ChuckJ

Last edited by ChuckJ; 10-26-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by dyim
What modes do you normally drive your car in?

Normal/ sport/ or sport+? Track use? Use the paddle much?

This is making me rethink the extended warranty.
I use it as a DD and drive in normal mode most of the time. I'm actually very easy on the car, but I'm the second owner and have no idea what happened before me. I do know the first owner was a female, leased the car and put on 22k miles in the first six months... I figured all the bugs would be worked out. I have a CPO for added assurance.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:47 AM
dyim will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by robbieracer
I use it as a DD and drive in normal mode most of the time. I'm actually very easy on the car, but I'm the second owner and have no idea what happened before me. I do know the first owner was a female, leased the car and put on 22k miles in the first six months... I figured all the bugs would be worked out. I have a CPO for added assurance.
Either she has a lead foot or her boyfriend does. I'd say blame it on the previous owner. God knows how many launch controls were done!?!

Old 10-27-2013, 07:28 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
at 10,700 miles here with no issues. The occasional clunk when stopping as it shifts back to 1st, but heck the thing seems bulletproof to me. CPO from 380 miles when purchased.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by black_991s
Glad I got my extended warranty :-) I'm actually curious to know how much a new PDK costs.
According to this link the the MSRP is $18k, Sonnen sells it for $14k.

http://sonnenporscheoemparts.com/parts/2012/Porsche/911/Carrera%20S/?siteid=215405&vehicleid=378973§ion=AUTOMATIC%20TR ANSAXLE

Old 10-29-2013, 04:55 AM
pal joey is on a distinguished road
along with a good number of others i had a tranny problem with a 2002 acura tls.
acura sent out notices to owners and did the necessary repair,and or replacement.
in additon they gave another number of years warranty coverage beyond the standard coverage for the transmission.
if pdk problems appear in significant numbers perhaps porsche will respond with a similar program.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:57 AM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by pal joey
along with a good number of others i had a tranny problem with a 2002 acura tls.
acura sent out notices to owners and did the necessary repair,and or replacement.
in additon they gave another number of years warranty coverage beyond the standard coverage for the transmission.
if pdk problems appear in significant numbers perhaps porsche will respond with a similar program.

Well. Actually, a number of Hondas between 1998 to 2002 had transmission issues. It was known. Including the Odyssey, Accord, TL, etc. Since these were such a significant number, and to be good citizens, Honda might have fixed it. Porsche on the other hand, I doubt it unless the Govt forced them to.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:58 AM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by robbieracer
According to this link the the MSRP is $18k, Sonnen sells it for $14k.

http://sonnenporscheoemparts.com/par...IC%20TRANSAXLE

HOLY CRAP 14-18k, but no installation. Gonna call my dealer for that extended warranty too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another PDK failure