Do you keep any service records?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 06:50 PM
jrubman is on a distinguished road
Do you keep any service records?

Is it worth it to keep any paper receipts for service anymore? Generally I trade in so they aren't necessary but always end up keeping them just in case. Given that it all exists electronically is there any real value to keeping them?

Old 01-28-2014, 07:08 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
I like them. I think it's good to have if you sell outright. Private purchasers, speaking for myself, LOVE to see a nice big stack of maintenance/service receipts.

Just my $.02

Old 01-28-2014, 07:56 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
I keep every receipt regarding the car, excepting fuel, in a blue folder. If or when I sell it, the next owner can see everything that was done to it with accompanying mileage as it's marked on there. Doubly so if you have any issues.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:16 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest
Private purchasers, speaking for myself, LOVE to see a nice big stack of maintenance/service receipts.

Just my $.02
Agreed. Porsche is not always the most attractive option in trading in vs selling your car privately. Not a lot of effort to keep maintenance receipts. Does not matter to me if it was at the dealership or a good indy, as long as it shows that the car was properly taken care of.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:23 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
In Europe a FSH (full service history) is essential for any sale.
In the US it seems to be less important and certainly not essential.

I've also heard of some service departments (primarily BMW) not releasing service records to the new owner for reasons of confidentiality etc.

In any case, I have always kept every record and receipt in a folder, which has always been greatly appreciated by the subsequent buyers.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:02 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
I don't understand why you need to physically keep the records--isn't it in dealerships database as they're all connected? I moved from Texas to Cali and my BMW and Lexus records were all available in the system in California...is it different for Porsche??? It's 2014 folks !!!

Last edited by Fester; 01-28-2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:09 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dux
In Europe a FSH (full service history) is essential for any sale.
In the US it seems to be less important and certainly not essential.

I've also heard of some service departments (primarily BMW) not releasing service records to the new owner for reasons of confidentiality etc.

In any case, I have always kept every record and receipt in a folder, which has always been greatly appreciated by the subsequent buyers.
When I sold my BMW, I got dealership to print all service records out in PDF and simply emailed that to the buyer. If someone goes to the 3rd party for service, I'd understand - but I always go to the authorized dealers where electronic service history is available...

Old 01-28-2014, 10:13 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fester
I don't understand why you need to physically keep the records--isn't it in dealerships database as they're all connected? I moved from Texas to Cali and my BMW and Lexus records were all available in the system in California...is it different for Porsche??? It's 2014 folks !!!
We're talking about keeping records to assist / compliment a future sale. Yes, you can get service records before you sell.

Yes, the records are available to YOU, but not the new owner.

I sold a car and the new owner couldn't get the service dept to release my records...

And receipts for all other non-service related purchases are also invaluable.

Last edited by dux; 01-29-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:15 PM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
I keep all of them.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:44 PM
nleeumd is on a distinguished road
It's all perception too, I think an owner who had the discipline to keep organized records probably took better care of the car than one that did not keep them.

Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest
I like them. I think it's good to have if you sell outright. Private purchasers, speaking for myself, LOVE to see a nice big stack of maintenance/service receipts.

Just my $.02

Old 01-28-2014, 11:24 PM
cal911 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nleeumd
It's all perception too, I think an owner who had the discipline to keep organized records probably took better care of the car than one that did not keep them.
Well, thats a nice comfortable assumption for you and nothing more.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:40 AM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
I just sold a 1973 BMW 2002tii that I bought from the original owner and then kept for 20 years. I have every single receipt for that car going back to the original window sticker. That 4" thick binder of receipts is like gold! And it absolutely increases the value of the car.

I recently sold a 2007 Cayman S which I also had every receipt for. It clearly helped with the sale of the car.

I am starting my book of records for my 2014 Carrera S and am confident it will also be of future value as well.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:02 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
I keep all of mine until I trade the car. I usually don't keep a car for than 2-3 years, and it only goes in for service around 2x/yr, so not much paper for me to keep.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:15 PM
nleeumd is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cal911
Well, thats a nice comfortable assumption for you and nothing more.
ok...

Old 10-17-2014, 02:56 AM
CmannP is on a distinguished road
I think they're worth keeping. It only takes a second to stick them in a folder but if and when you do go to sell your car anyone that sees that stack of paper will know the cars has been well maintained. So I don't think the papers themselves are worth anything but the psychological effect can be worth its weight in gold.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do you keep any service records?