Does anyone use the auto stop/start feature?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 09:34 PM
shaytun will become famous soon enoughshaytun will become famous soon enough
Never used it. Probably never will. Luckily it can be set to off as standard.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:15 AM
Jctsc is on a distinguished road
How do you set it to "off" as standard?

Old 02-15-2014, 06:34 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
As mentioned above I tend to use it on highway trips and disable it in local traffic. I wonder just what kind of toll the stopping and starting takes on the engine and starter

The coast feature is good but it is disabled when the cruise control is employed.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:37 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jctsc
I have keyless entry and the off setting appears to get remembered

Old 02-15-2014, 08:31 AM
studlee is on a distinguished road
i use when. but it seems to shut off at the oddest times and stays on when i think it should shut off. example....sitting at a long red light...stays on. pausing to make a left on green light....shuts off. i still don't understand how the car thinks.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:02 AM
rnl
Originally Posted by studlee
i use when. but it seems to shut off at the oddest times and stays on when i think it should shut off. example....sitting at a long red light...stays on. pausing to make a left on green light....shuts off. i still don't understand how the car thinks.
It appears to have an algorithm which aims to have the car at a preferred temperature. Idling at a red light? Perhaps it's too cold or trying to keep the interior temperature regulated Stopped while waiting to turn, it may be too hot. It's sort of a goldilocks device.

I have a Prius too. It will turn off the engine at weird times but I have noticed that if I turn off the heater ithe engine stays off (and increases mileage) - not a good idea

Last edited by rnl; 02-15-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:27 AM
shaytun will become famous soon enoughshaytun will become famous soon enough
I also have the Entry and Drive and it remembers the setting. Not sure if it still applies if you don't have it.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:05 PM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
It's useless to me.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:45 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like PDK owners get more use out of this feature (because of neutral coasting) than us 7MT guys.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:26 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
I tried the start-stop the first day I got the car (April '12), and not since. It works and is as enjoyable as gnats. On the other hand, I use the "sailing" AKA coasting feature when trips on the interstate get boring. It provides cheap entertainment when attempting to maximize mileage. It is the envirnomentally responsible way to make up for running up through the gears just to hear the PSE every chance I get, isn't it?

Old 02-15-2014, 05:24 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
There is a setting in the menus to turn it off..

EDIT: I was wrong, no menu settings that I could find. I guess it is just a console button. And believe remembering it is to the Key and memory settings. Not sure what happens if you don't have memory seats.. Also any time you turn on Sport it is turned off automatically..

Last edited by scatkins; 02-17-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:26 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Christophosphorus
Sounds like PDK owners get more use out of this feature (because of neutral coasting) than us 7MT guys.
Don't think it is available to MT..? The turn off would be weird, you would think you stalled..

Old 02-15-2014, 05:56 PM
SilverSled is on a distinguished road
Standard on the MT- I just keep it off. It's hard enough to get out of first

Old 02-16-2014, 06:34 AM
porsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to behold
Tried it a couple of times, very annoying in traffic on a 7MT. I also wonder what toll it takes on the battery and starter as well.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by SilverSled
Standard on the MT- I just keep it off. It's hard enough to get out of first
Then what triggers turning it off on the MT? Just being stopped with the clutch engaged?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does anyone use the auto stop/start feature?