Money2536's White 991 C2S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:38 AM
SilverSled is on a distinguished road
I have a Makita cordless - it's nice and has a rubber nozzle - not nearly the power of a gas one, but gets the job done. Rock on Money👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Old 07-29-2014, 11:55 AM
Capsfan is on a distinguished road
i think i am going with the leaf blower, then i can blow all the crap off my driveway, patios, and yard without missing a beat. The wife will love me.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:54 PM
Money2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond repute
Auto Finesse Desire

My Auto Finesse Desire Review

For some reason, I have been wanting to my hard-earned money and purchase a high-end wax. Over the past few years, every time I've gone to pull the credit card out of my wallet, I've closed my web browser and decided against it. I really wanted to buy Swissvax Concorso. There is something about Swissvax as a company that appeals to me. For some reason, I just never pulled the trigger.

I saw quite a few reviews on Auto Finesse Spirit and Illusion carnuba waxes. Let me be honest, Auto Finesse packaging really turns me off. It makes me think "Jersey Shore." I just don't think their branding reflects high quality products. I've avoided them for quite some time.

As you may be able to tell from some of my Journal posts, I’m a bit of a Detailer’s Domain follower. Phil and his blog have led me away from the avid amateur ranks of a being a Griot’s Garage supporter toward the more professional grade hobbyist that I have become. Detailer’s Domain switched a lot of their product use to AF, so after some apprehension, I have followed closely behind.

I’ve used their Citrus Cleaner, Obliterate, and Iron Out with great success. Now to blaspheme a bit, Auto Geek had a ridiculous sale on all products with free shipping (Detailer’s Domain didn’t have in stock), so I jumped in a jar of Desire.

http://www.autogeek.net/auto-finesse-desire.html

Retail is $179.00, but I got 25% off and free shipping to take away some of the pain. This certainly made it more affordable than the price protected $330 Concorso and made me pull the trigger.

Before I reviewed the results, I wanted to get some time with it on the car and get several washes done. I can’t comment on durability as I’ve only had it on the car for about three weeks.

Naturally, I prepped the paint with a 50/50 Chemical Guys Citrus Red Shampoo/Adams APC wash mixture, AF Iron Out decon, Auto Scrub, Menzerna SF4500 finishing polish, and IPA wipe down. My paint looked good prior, but I did take the time to do a quick jeweling polish prior to AF Desire application.

Packaging:
I already mentioned my displeasure with the branding, but the packaging is decent enough. It comes in a cardboard black box and a typical heavy plastic tub. It’s packaging certainly isn’t as nice as Swissvax’s, but I guess I’d rather keep my $100+ and have a more basic box.

I know AF has their own applicator pad that is designed to fit the tub, but I wasn’t able to find one anywhere that had them in stock. Maybe it’s to create the optical illusion that you are getting more for your money, but why make a container that doesn’t fit a regular sized waxing pad? The opening is annoyingly small. Too small to get a nice even, light coating on you pad. This isn’t a deal breaker, but I would want a larger container. Maybe there is a reason why, but I think most manufacturers use a similar size. I thinks it’s dumb.

Application:
First, let me comment on the smell. Oh my, the smell! To me, it smells better than pretty much anything else in the world. It smells better than my new baby girl. It makes me want to wax my toolbox to ensure my garage retains the incredible fragrance. My garage smelled great for days afterwards.

Now, I’m pretty sure you could simply wipe on a panel and immediately wipe off(WOWO), but I decided to err on the side of caution and apply a thin layer to the entire car. I started at the front right quarter panel and worked my way around the entire car. I wiped off the starting panel about 30 minutes after finishing the rest.

I laid it on super thin. Despite my complaining about tub size, I think I only needed to put more wax on the applicator five total times for the whole car. AF recommends at least a 3 hour curing time before layers, but I let the car sit overnight before adding a second layer.

Wiping off with a microfiber towel was easy enough. I wouldn’t say it was the easiest wax to remove in the world, but it certainly wasn’t hard. Did I mention the smell? Heaven!

Beading:
One of my favorite properties of an LSP(Last Step Product) is its ability to reject water. I think that is why I liked Sonax Polymer Net Shield sealant so much until the FL spring pollen annihilated it a month after application. It beads like crazy.

This is going to be a little hard for me to explain. The beading of water during a wash with this wax is good. It’s not great, just good. It’s certainly not as good as most sealants or as good as Collinite 845.

How do I say this? I drove my car in a heavy down-pour after a wash, and I swear the car was dry and relatively clean when I arrived at my destination. It’s as if the dirt that typically sticks to my white car didn’t adhere like normal. And the usual pools of water were completely gone and dry. So it doesn’t bead as impressively, but it keeps junk and gets the water off the car in a superior fashion. I think of it as more go than show. Beading is cool, but cleanliness is paramount in my book. It appears to be doing a better job than anything I’ve experienced.

Shine/Clarity/Depth:
At first, I was pretty underwhelmed. This probably has a lot to do with me owning a bright white car. Clean, dirty, waxed, or not; it all looks pretty much the same. I wasn’t particularly sure what I was expecting. I hadn’t really thought about it much. I had been using bare sealants like Sonax Polymer Net Shield or Menzerna Powerlock sometimes topping with my go-to Collinite 845. I’ve also used a bunch of lower cost carnubas from various manufacturers. For me, the correction was more important than the LSP.

Well, after having it on the car for a while, this “expensive” wax is worth every penny. It really is pretty remarkable. I realized, I had been looking at the car in the garage or in the shade. Once I got it out in the sun, I came to the conclusion that I have never seen this level of depth and clarity of shine. It reminds me of why I don’t like coatings like Opti-Coat and C-Quartz. You can’t replicate this “buttery” look of a high-grade carnuba.

Conclusion:
I’m sure there is very little perceptible difference between this and the less costly options from AF, but I’m an all-or-nothing kind of guy. If there is a “best,” I want it. So far this wax has changed my opinion on an LSP not mattering as much. I say, break out the wallet, and buy it!

Matt

Old 08-14-2014, 10:51 PM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
Matt, CONGRATS on your new Baby Girl! Car looks awesome. Thanks for the wax review. I just bought a bunch do Adams stuff. Going to try their Glaze and Carnuba Paste Wax before I Pony Up for Auto Finesse. Any experience with Adams Glaze and Carnuba Paste Wax? I tried Pinnacle Souveran recently and think the depth and clarity is amazing, but it just doesn't last. A wash or 2 later and you need to reapply. One of these days I will try Auto Finesse, when Autogeek has another special. Looking forward to a post/video on glass.

Last edited by dhill911; 08-14-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:05 AM
Money2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dhill911
Matt, CONGRATS on your new Baby Girl! Car looks awesome. Thanks for the wax review. I just bought a bunch do Adams stuff. Going to try their Glaze and Carnuba Paste Wax before I Pony Up for Auto Finesse. Any experience with Adams Glaze and Carnuba Paste Wax? I tried Pinnacle Souveran recently and think the depth and clarity is amazing, but it just doesn't last. A wash or 2 later and you need to reapply. One of these days I will try Auto Finesse, when Autogeek has another special. Looking forward to a post/video on glass.
I haven't used Adam's Carnuba, but I've heard it's decent. If you paint is in good shape, you shouldn't need to try a fill in scratches with a Glaze. I would try putting a few thin coats of the carnuba on the car. Apply one, let the car cure over night, and apply a second coat.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:29 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Money2536
It smells better than my new baby girl.
Sounds like she came in just about on schedule. Congratulations!

Thorough write-up on the wax, as usual. Thanks. I was shopping autogeek and it looks like the P21S wax is very well regarded, and it sure is a lot cheaper. Have you Matt, or anyone else here, used the P21S and care to share your impressions, thoughts, feelings, experience and memories of that product?

Old 08-15-2014, 11:39 AM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by beemer guy
I was shopping autogeek and it looks like the P21S wax is very well regarded, and it sure is a lot cheaper. Have you Matt, or anyone else here, used the P21S and care to share your impressions, thoughts, feelings, experience and memories of that product?
I use P21S carnauba paste wax. It's easy to apply, easy to buff off, and in my humble opinion provides a really deep shine on my metallic Agate. I wax every one to two months, and it seems to hold up pretty well between sessions.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:06 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
Nice review Matt. Thanks! Glad you are enjoying detailing with 'high end' waxes now! Just what we/you need: another venue to spend some more $$$! More expensive stuff! LOL

Keep us posted on the durability.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:40 PM
Capsfan is on a distinguished road
Matt,

How about coming up to VA and helping me with my car?

I'll cover expenses.

G

Old 08-16-2014, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Capsfan
Matt,

How about coming up to VA and helping me with my car?

I'll cover expenses.

G
Ha...ha... I charge $3,500 an hour plus travel expenses, and I only fly first class.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:13 AM
addysdaddy has a spectacular aura aboutaddysdaddy has a spectacular aura about
Very glad to hear you like the AF Destiny. IME, letting the wax haze creates more problems than it's worth-but I'm known to have a heavy hand when it comes to applying wax. WOWO seems to work much better with the AF line and any other pure carnuaba for that matter. For other forum members who can't justify the Destiny price point, AF Illusion & Spirit are also great choices and I'm reasonably certain you would not be disappointed. Nice pix Matt.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:29 PM
Got my M3!

All, I got my M3 last week. It's a pretty awesome car, but there is no contest between it and my C2S. I'll be sure to write up the differences I notice once I've had more seat time in the M3.

Check my M3 Journal.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1000683

Old 09-18-2014, 06:59 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome!! Hope to see it soon. This weekend maybe?

Old 09-18-2014, 08:11 PM
mdk888 is a jewel in the roughmdk888 is a jewel in the roughmdk888 is a jewel in the roughmdk888 is a jewel in the rough
gratz! looks awesome. I actually like the looks of the sedan over the coupe

Old 09-19-2014, 04:05 AM
0-60motorsport is on a distinguished road
Looks great! Congrats!

I would get the same combo

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Money2536's White 991 C2S Journal