Money2536's White 991 C2S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:47 AM
addysdaddy has a spectacular aura aboutaddysdaddy has a spectacular aura about
Then I would say it's all good. In the end, most of the top shelf detailing products are excellent. Smell, cost, ease of use probably drive sells to one product over another more than anything imo. I haven't tried the Sonax Net Shield but I'm a huge fan of several of their other products. My go to mild polish is the Sonax 3/6, paint cleanser is the Sonax and I have their SONAX Premium Class Carnauba Wax which is outstanding. Wheel cleaner, not so much but their stuff is right up there with the best.

Let me also suggest P21s Total Auto Wash which is a TUV approved all purpose cleaner. Prior to using my nanoskin (claying) I will spray the entire car down with TAW and then gentle rub into the paint. Rinse thoroughly and then dray. This really helps to clean the paint and the only APC product I would use on my paint. Been around for years and made for German paint. It's on the pricey side but it really helps.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:36 AM
Money2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by addysdaddy
Then I would say it's all good. In the end, most of the top shelf detailing products are excellent. Smell, cost, ease of use probably drive sells to one product over another more than anything imo. I haven't tried the Sonax Net Shield but I'm a huge fan of several of their other products. My go to mild polish is the Sonax 3/6, paint cleanser is the Sonax and I have their SONAX Premium Class Carnauba Wax which is outstanding. Wheel cleaner, not so much but their stuff is right up there with the best.

Let me also suggest P21s Total Auto Wash which is a TUV approved all purpose cleaner. Prior to using my nanoskin (claying) I will spray the entire car down with TAW and then gentle rub into the paint. Rinse thoroughly and then dray. This really helps to clean the paint and the only APC product I would use on my paint. Been around for years and made for German paint. It's on the pricey side but it really helps.
I'm not wild about Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner. It definitely takes the junk off the wheels, but I don't like how it doesn't add any type of lubrication. What's was you go to? Is it this: http://www.p21s.com/products/bis_wc1.html

Old 02-23-2014, 12:00 PM
Charcharius is on a distinguished road
Wow - great post on the cleaning Matt... I haven't heard of the Adam's stuff til now (a little isolated here in Calgary), I will definitely check it out.

+Rep Power for you!

Old 02-23-2014, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by Money2536
I'm not wild about Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner. It definitely takes the junk off the wheels, but I don't like how it doesn't add any type of lubrication. What's was you go to? Is it this: http://www.p21s.com/products/bis_wc1.html
The P21s wheel cleaner is fine, nothing exceptional. For well maintained wheels, I like Autoglym non acid wheel cleaner. Audi's for some reason really generate lots of brake dust. Glossiest finish around and pretty much what I use on a regular basis on my DD. Only one source in the US that I'm aware of: 615-885-9822 Radiant Auto Supply - Charlene. For heavy brake dust, I like 1Z ColorTec http://www.autogeek.net/1z-colourtec-wheel-cleaner.html Keep a gallon on hand for when I help out friends detail their cars.

On the wife's new X3, I'm was able to get my entire hand into the barrels so when I first got the SUV, I clayed the rims & barrels and coated them twice with Blackfire Crystal Seal. (that was in December) Only use car shampoo and water in a spray bottle and the wheels look brand spank'n new. Amazing actually. Others actually remove the wheels to polish the barrels with a DA and use Optimum Opti-Coat which is a permanent coating and never have to use wheel cleaner again. YMMV but I don't mind doing the wheels like I described 2x year - for me it's not a biggie and I enjoy it.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Charcharius
Wow - great post on the cleaning Matt... I haven't heard of the Adam's stuff til now (a little isolated here in Calgary), I will definitely check it out.

+Rep Power for you!
Haven't tried the new Adams heavy duty wheel cleaner but my brother raves. http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-884-a...l-cleaner.aspx I don't use enough of their product line to justify the shipping and again, my wheels are in well maintained condition. They're also known for their detail spray. Generally these are good products made in the USA but not great and sold at a super premium price. I've tried some of their polishes but was underwhelmed, especially for the price. Like their color coded system approach and terrific for newbies to detailing.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:47 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Have a question for Money or Addy -- Can you put a sealant like Sonus Net Shield on your clear bra? You are suppose to treat your clear bra like paint - clean it, wax it, etc. So I assume the answer is "Yes". Anyone else know?

Old 02-23-2014, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
Have a question for Money or Addy -- Can you put a sealant like Sonus Net Shield on your clear bra? You are suppose to treat your clear bra like paint - clean it, wax it, etc. So I assume the answer is "Yes". Anyone else know?
I've heard the same thing. I don't have first hand experience but let me recommend going over to the autogeek.net forum and finding out the answer. No doubt some of the guys have dealt with this.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:28 PM
Money2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
I don't know much about taking care of a clear bra. I'm a big fan of clean corrected paint. Being in a rather rural area of FL, I haven't had many issues with rock chips.

I did a couple of quick searches on Autopia, Detailing Bliss, and Autogeek and didn't come up with much. I'm pretty certain you can just top it with a sealant.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:42 PM
mtarone is on a distinguished road
I don't know much about taking care of a clear bra. I'm a big fan of clean corrected paint. Being in a rather rural area of FL, I haven't had many issues with rock chips.

I did a couple of quick searches on Autopia, Detailing Bliss, and Autogeek and didn't come up with much. I'm pretty certain you can just top it with a sealant.
I had an Expel clearshield fitted to my M3, the detailer opticoated the clear bra after he fitted it.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:54 PM
Gator Smiles is on a distinguished road
Money--

Great thread and beautiful car. I grew up in Oklawaha on Lake Weir and spent a lot of time in my dads 930 and 993 turbos around your area. I live in Ocala now and cross fit at iron legion--come join us anytime! Also a fan of Adams and Menzerna stuff and just started messing around with a Rupes Bigfoot. Keep the updates coming.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by Gator Smiles
Money--

Great thread and beautiful car. I grew up in Oklawaha on Lake Weir and spent a lot of time in my dads 930 and 993 turbos around your area. I live in Ocala now and cross fit at iron legion--come join us anytime! Also a fan of Adams and Menzerna stuff and just started messing around with a Rupes Bigfoot. Keep the updates coming.
I'm at CF Pinnacle down the street. You'll see my car sitting out by 441 every day. I'm sure we've crossed paths a few times.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Gator Smiles is on a distinguished road
I'm at CF Pinnacle down the street. You'll see my car sitting out by 441 every day. I'm sure we've crossed paths a few times.
Hope to run into you someday! Open soon--good luck.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:11 PM
991 iPhone Mount

Someone posted about their favorite iPhone mount on 6speed quite some time ago, so I bought it for my S4. I never really used it as I haven't been able to get a long enough cable for that car, but it works pretty well for the C2S.

http://www.kenu.com/products/airframe

I learned a couple of things tonight. One, I really need a 24-70mm lens. I sold my old one thinking we didn't need it any longer. It's darn near impossible to do an interior shot with a 50mm. Not to mention, the f1.2L has a super hard time focusing in low light. Second, I really need to clean up the leather after the window tint. I'll break out the Leather Masters next week. I guess I'll just add it to the list.

I hate wires, but there is a very audible difference between a lightning cable-USB connected phone and streaming over Blue Tooth. I use Spotify at 320kbs often. Even at 320kbs, it doesn't sound great, so adding another bottle-neck in Blue Tooth makes it worse.

Here is what I came up with for mounting the phone. I'm certainly open to suggestions on making it a cleaner set-up.

I also stuck my pre-paid tolls sticker, E-Pass, onto the windshield. I hate seeing this, but I hate stopping for tolls more. Sorry for the blurry shots.

One last quick pic to show what the tint looks like when you are looking through it. It's not as dark as it appears from the outside. I think it's perfect for the blazing FL sun.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9341.jpg
Views:	1326
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	338325   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9342.jpg
Views:	1574
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	338326   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9343.jpg
Views:	1257
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	338327   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9344.jpg
Views:	1283
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	338328   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9345.jpg
Views:	1255
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	338329  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9356.jpg
Views:	1298
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	338330   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9357.jpg
Views:	1292
Size:	312.6 KB
ID:	338331   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9338.jpg
Views:	1554
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	338332   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9339.jpg
Views:	1342
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	338333   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9355.jpg
Views:	1265
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	338334  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9349.jpg
Views:	1276
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	338335  
Old 02-24-2014, 12:55 AM
Ulukai is on a distinguished road
Maybe you could paint the iphone cable black/grey? That way you wouldn't notice it as much. I think the liquitex markers is a great choice for it as they have a very strong base.

Last edited by Ulukai; 02-24-2014 at 02:09 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:27 AM
mtarone is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Ulukai
Maybe you could paint the iphone cable black/grey? That way you notice it as much. I think the liquitex markers is a great choice for that as they have a very strong base.
I was thinking the same thing re: black cable. Other than that it looks good!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Money2536's White 991 C2S Journal