New tires: Pirelli P Zero to Michelin Super Sports

Old 10-26-2014, 11:01 AM
DKC
DKC is on a distinguished road
I'm about to go from OEM Pzero to MPSS on my C4S, front 255/35R20 and rear 305/30R20.

I know this is ok on a C2 and I know some has put this on a C4 with no issues. However if you consider for the stock C4 sizes:

245/35R20 and 305/30R20 - the rear circumferance is lager by 1.77%.
Assuming new tread of 8mm and legal limit is 1.6mm. Even with brand new fronts and 1.6mm rears, the rear will still have a larger circumferance than the front (just).

However with 255/35R20 and 305/30R20, the circuferance difference is down to 0.73%. If the rears wear faster than the fronts, say we have fronts 8mm tread and rears 1.6mm tread, the fronts will become larger than the rears!

Does anyone this this will be a problem, particularly for the C4?

Second question - without trying to reignite the debate on to "N" or not.
I'm struggling to find
MPSS 255/35R20 rating Fuel E, Wet A, noise 71db, and only can find this
MPSS 255/35/R20 K2 rating Fuel E, Wet B, noise 71db

The K2 is for Ferrari F12. Personally I subscribe to the "I don't care about N or not" theory. However I'm a little concerned about putting on K2 tyres especially the Wet rating becomes B vs the normal A.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by DKC; 10-26-2014 at 02:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-26-2014, 02:36 PM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by DKC
I'm about to go from OEM Pzero to MPSS on my C4S, front 255/35R20 and rear 305/35R20.

I know this is ok on a C2 and I know some has put this on a C4 with no issues. However if you consider for the stock C4 sizes:

245/35R20 and 305/30R20 - the rear circumferance is lager by 1.77%.
Assuming new tread of 8mm and legal limit is 1.6mm. Even with brand new fronts and 1.6mm rears, the rear will still have a larger circumferance than the front (just).

However with 255/35R20 and 305/30R20, the circuferance difference is down to 0.73%. If the rears wear faster than the fronts, say we have fronts 8mm tread and rears 1.6mm tread, the fronts will become larger than the rears!

Does anyone this this will be a problem, particularly for the C4?

Second question - without trying to reignite the debate on to "N" or not.
I'm struggling to find
MPSS 255/35R20 rating Fuel E, Wet A, noise 71db, and only can find this
MPSS 255/35/R20 K2 rating Fuel E, Wet B, noise 71db

The K2 is for Ferrari F12. Personally I subscribe to the "I don't care about N or not" theory. However I'm a little concerned about putting on K2 tyres especially the Wet rating becomes B vs the normal A.

Any thoughts?
I assume you meant 305-30-20 (not 35) in your opening statement.
I dont have any issues with the 255-35/305-30 combo, regarding diameter as the rears wear.
But then I only have about 9K miles on this combo so my rears still have plenty of tread.

Regarding the K2, I would do the K2 over the standard (assuming similar price).
K2 lists a lower tread depth (which in theory is better for dry performance), but I saw the K2 and standard, side by side and they looked and measured nearly identical on tread (K2 was maybe 1/32 less on tread but that is too close to call).
So it's no big deal either way.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:46 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by supercharger
That is exactly what happened. Thank you for having a look.
With the Pzero if they lack grip it happens gradually, not suddenly.

Have a nice weekend :-)
Slightly off topic, but your nice weekend wish came true, thanks for that. I had one of the best weekends of my life actually. Drove up to the nurburgring/nordschleife (didn't have the ***** to drive a lap though), went by the Hockenheim F1 track, and took the AutoBahn to Stuttgart for the annual Porsche Sound Nacht in the Museum and the new exhibition Projekt: Geheim. That weekend will be forever engraved in my mind ...

Old 10-29-2014, 09:14 AM
supercharger has a spectacular aura aboutsupercharger has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by bccars
Slightly off topic, but your nice weekend wish came true, thanks for that. I had one of the best weekends of my life actually. Drove up to the nurburgring/nordschleife (didn't have the ***** to drive a lap though), went by the Hockenheim F1 track, and took the AutoBahn to Stuttgart for the annual Porsche Sound Nacht in the Museum and the new exhibition Projekt: Geheim. That weekend will be forever engraved in my mind ...

Wow, bet you had some high speed runs at the autobahn when you left the Ring!!?

By the way, you car is very much same spec as my C2 but no sunroof on mine :-)

Old 10-30-2014, 11:32 AM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Gts mss

I had PSS on my 997.2 and they were awesome. I used up the OEM pirellis on the 991 and they were good (not as good as the PSSs were on the 997.2).

I have been following this N rated "scandal" since Michelin launched the PSS with a carrera in the media photo materials.

I have posted many times about this in the last 2 years. I ended up staying with the Pirellis but I'm wondering what to make of the fact that the newly announced Carrera GTS is shown wearing MSSs in the official pics...?

Hmm...
DRP

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Porsche-991-Carrera-GTS-7.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	406342  
Old 11-01-2014, 03:02 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Six months and almost 7000 miles on the PSS tires. Just switched to the Sottozero II tires and winter wheels. Negligible wear on the PSS The tech said that the PSS are not necessarily quieter than PZero tires rather PZeros get real noisy when they are worn out.

I've enjoyed the PSS tires and I did not notice any differences other than lower cost and less wear.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:02 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rnl
Six months and almost 7000 miles on the PSS tires. Just switched to the Sottozero II tires and winter wheels. Negligible wear on the PSS The tech said that the PSS are not necessarily quieter than PZero tires rather PZeros get real noisy when they are worn out.

I've enjoyed the PSS tires and I did not notice any differences other than lower cost and less wear.
Do you use the same size as the P0s? And they are 20" if I remember correctly aren't they?

ChuckJ

Old 11-01-2014, 07:24 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Do you use the same size as the P0s? And they are 20" if I remember correctly aren't they? ChuckJ
Sottozero are 19 inch.
PSS are 20 inch and rears are 305mm

Old 11-02-2014, 04:56 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rnl
Sottozero are 19 inch.
PSS are 20 inch and rears are 305mm
I figured the winters were 19.
Nice to see the 305 Michelin's fit good.

ChuckJ

Old 08-04-2016, 05:58 PM
naples991 is on a distinguished road
Any updates from PSS owners? About to pull the trigger on 4...

Old 08-04-2016, 07:23 PM
TSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by naples991
Any updates from PSS owners? About to pull the trigger on 4...
I replaced the OEM p-zeros on my 2013 C2S with PSS at about 9k mi and had an alignment done at the same time by a very good shop. The front PSS also lasted about 9k mi, but I'll get about 11k mi on the rears. I'm in the minority on performance, ie, I felt that the p-zeros were at least as good as the Michelins. In all other regards, I prefer the PSS's.

Spyder

Old 08-16-2016, 05:20 PM
naples991 is on a distinguished road
Thanks!

Old 08-16-2016, 09:11 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TSpyder
I replaced the OEM p-zeros on my 2013 C2S with PSS at about 9k mi and had an alignment done at the same time by a very good shop. The front PSS also lasted about 9k mi, but I'll get about 11k mi on the rears. I'm in the minority on performance, ie, I felt that the p-zeros were at least as good as the Michelins. In all other regards, I prefer the PSS's.

Spyder
Where did you get them?
How much for all 4?

Old 08-17-2016, 08:04 AM
MagicRat has a spectacular aura aboutMagicRat has a spectacular aura about
I read this thread with great interest when I was changing my tyres. Got 14k off my P-Zero rears, and they probably had a bit left on them, but I got a slow puncture in one so took the opportunity to change them out for MPSS.

My first impressions of MPSS post break-in are:

Sound: not necessarily quieter than P0 but do let me know what's there a bit more. They're quieter on quiet tarmac, but possibly louder on loud. Not a massive difference either way.

Ride: the MPSS definitely feel plusher and more premium when cruising and just driving around. Some of this may be just going from new to old rubber, but the ride quality is noticeably nicer.

Handling: I was initially just blown away by the increased grip. The ABS would kick in at about 1.1G in straight-line maximal braking before. Now it's 1.27. So the car feels much safer. Also the tyres are more confidence inspiring in corners - they just seem to let me know what's going on much more. Before I kind of had to trust the car to grip, now it tells me what it is doing.

But, I did get the understeer thing! Was making progress some roads I knew well and these tyres did feel like they let go somewhat earlier, but then again, to be honest, I was trying to make them let go! After having a word with myself and driving properly, I was pulling higher cornering Gs than I did on the P0s. My conclusion is that the Pirellis are more forgiving if ones inputs are a bit sharp, but the Michelins are better if one is smooth.

Overall I am very happy with the tyres and would buy them again, though I'm hoping when it's next time to change there will be an N-rated version for peace of mind etc.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:21 AM
TSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by eldertec
Where did you get them?
How much for all 4?
I had Wheel Enhancement, a Porsche specialty shop in LA, order and install the first set since they agreed to match the Tirerack price. After reading that the MPSS were in short supply last year, I ordered another set from the Tirerack and stored them in my garage until needed. Wheel Enhancement has mounted and road-force balanced the fronts, and I'm about ready to have them to the same for the rears. I have a lift in my garage so it's a simple matter to throw the wheels and tires in my SUV, and, in this case, do an oil change and brake fluid while the 991 is on the lift with the wheels off.

Check Tirerack for current prices.

Spyder

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 2.00 average.

Quick Reply: New tires: Pirelli P Zero to Michelin Super Sports