New tires: Pirelli P Zero to Michelin Super Sports

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 06:47 PM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve997S
Only in America do people prioritize aesthetics over engineering.
Steve O, there's nothing wrong with a little STYLE ....

Old 07-24-2014, 06:50 PM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Steve O, this outfit is engineered to work, but would you wear it??? Maybe....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3792237247.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	397365  
Old 07-24-2014, 06:57 PM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
Is it possible that your car hasn't settled onto the suspension yet after being up on a lift for over an hour or two?

May need to be driven on the street to settle it and close the gap between top of tire and wheel well opening?

Old 07-24-2014, 08:23 PM
I haven't shopped tires yet. What are the price differences between the Pirelli's and Michelins?

I'm kinda liking the rounded look of the Pirelli rears more than the squared lip of the Michelins.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:37 PM
Only in America do people prioritize aesthetics over engineering.
"Only in America"???

Has San Antonio joined Mexico without me knowing??

Yes Steve O, only in America and proud of it!

Old 07-24-2014, 09:46 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STG958
"Only in America"???

Has San Antonio joined Mexico without me knowing??

Yes Steve O, only in America and proud of it!
Don't know what you've ever done for America, but I served 24 years in the Air Force. And I'm a disabled veteran because of it. You're welcome!

But more importantly, I've had 2 sets of PSS and hated both. I believe the PS2 is a better performer (had 3 sets of those). I also currently have the Pirelli and find them more compliant and grip better than the PSS. Not sure how long they'll last though, or how they'll be after 10,000 miles.

Everyone wants to think the PSS is some sort of miracle tire. It's a harder compound than the PS2 and has more tread depth. So it lasts longer. That's the best i can say for it. It's a hard tire (for a max performance tire) and really loses appreciable grip with mileage, and bounces off bumps. The Pirelli is a quite soft tire, grips quite well, and offers great rim protection.

At this point I'm going to stick with N rated tires, unless someone can prove to me it's of no value. I may try the Goodyear F1 next. N rated of course.

As for tire size, OEM is the right answer. There's nothing to gain by going bigger for stock wheel sizes. Except you'll possibly pick up more nails and screws. In that case, have at it.

Last edited by Steve997S; 07-24-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:57 AM
Don't know what you've ever done for America, but I served 24 years in the Air Force. And I'm a disabled veteran because of it. You're welcome! But more importantly, I've had 2 sets of PSS and hated both. I believe the PS2 is a better performer (had 3 sets of those). I also currently have the Pirelli and find them more compliant and grip better than the PSS. Not sure how long they'll last though, or how they'll be after 10,000 miles. Everyone wants to think the PSS is some sort of miracle tire. It's a harder compound than the PS2 and has more tread depth. So it lasts longer. That's the best i can say for it. It's a hard tire (for a max performance tire) and really loses appreciable grip with mileage, and bounces off bumps. The Pirelli is a quite soft tire, grips quite well, and offers great rim protection. At this point I'm going to stick with N rated tires, unless someone can prove to me it's of no value. I may try the Goodyear F1 next. N rated of course. As for tire size, OEM is the right answer. There's nothing to gain by going bigger for stock wheel sizes. Except you'll possibly pick up more nails and screws. In that case, have at it.
Steve O.. Thanks for your years of service to this country. It's honorable.

I am a proud American and really contribute a lot in taxes!!!

I might pick your brain soon on some tire info!

Old 07-25-2014, 05:12 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by STG958
Steve O.. Thanks for your years of service to this country. It's honorable.

I am a proud American and really contribute a lot in taxes!!!

I might pick your brain soon on some tire info!
For street use I believe you will not go wrong with any of the three under discussion- and agree that it is best to stay to the OEM size if you stay with the same width wheels- plenty of tire for the car.

If you look through the forum and check the Tire Rack reviews, you will find many Porsche owners who really like PSS for street and track duty. I find them to be at least as good as the P0s that came on my C2S (with about 5k miles on them). The latest PSS have the "wheel protection rims on both front and real wheels (un like the others).

I had no complaint with the P0s, by the way, excellent performance and 20k miles. A couple of years ago I replaced the PS2s on my Boxster S RS-60 with PSSs and found them to be far better in every way- especial in terms of ride quality. That may have been due to the the PS2s being nearly three years and 20k miles old, heat cycled etc.

As for the N rating, be aware that Pirelli has a three year OEM deal for the 991, so you will soon see N ratings on other tires on new 991s, just as you see them already on other Porsches, including the GT3.

Last edited by chuckbdc; 07-25-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:51 AM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by trysixty
Think he has the sport techno wheels ? Which have larger wheel width?
Thats true. 255/305 on 9/11.5 Sport Techno.

The rear PSS 305 is really stretched.
I think for the PSS, people should do 305 even on the 11.
11" is actually the recommended wheel width for a 305.
Also if it eliminates a spacer, all the better.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:52 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chuckbdc
For street use I believe you will not go wrong with any of the three under discussion- and agree that it is best to stay to the OEM size if you stay with the same width wheels- plenty of tire for the car.

If you look through the forum and check the Tire Rack reviews, you will find many Porsche owners who really like PSS for street and track duty. I find them to be at least as good as the P0s that came on my C2S (with about 5k miles on them). The latest PSS have the "wheel protection rims on both front and real wheels (un like the others).

I had no complaint with the P0s, by the way, excellent performance and 20k miles. A couple of years ago I replaced the PS2s on my Boxster S RS-60 with PSSs and found them to be far better in every way- especial in terms of ride quality. That may have been due to the the PS2s being nearly three years and 20k miles old, heat cycled etc.
Finally a brain. But I'd say the PSS makes you think it's superior to the PS2 only because you displace a worn tire with it. For my RS60, I'm not sure what to replace the PS2's with. Either P0 or Goodyear Eagle F1. I'm burned out on Michelin. And I'm of French heritage!!

Old 07-28-2014, 07:31 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Finally a brain. But I'd say the PSS makes you think it's superior to the PS2 only because you displace a worn tire with it. For my RS60, I'm not sure what to replace the PS2's with. Either P0 or Goodyear Eagle F1. I'm burned out on Michelin. And I'm of French heritage!!
I have often wondered the same thing. When you put just about any type of new tire on your car, it is going to seem much better and quieter than the worn out tire you had on the car. I would like to know from someone that has had the Michelin PSS how quiet they are when they are two or three years old with 12,000 or more miles.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:45 AM
trysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to all
Originally Posted by GS997S
I would like to know from someone that has had the Michelin PSS how quiet they are when they are two or three years old with 12,000 or more miles.
they are at least $500 quieter.......

Old 07-28-2014, 05:53 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
My RS-60 came with PS2s when new, and they were excellent (as you know you have to have an RS-60 to know just how good it is). But they were far too stiff for me, my fillings, and the suspension when the sport suspension was selected unless the road surface was mirror smooth. The car was more supple and handled better when it was not selected- from day 1, road and track.

At 18k miles and after reading the Tire Rack testing, and consulting with my tire dealer (Radial Tire, Silver Spring MD) a long time Porsche pusher and serious racer) I replaced them with PSS. They handled as well and the ride was far more compliant. As far as I was concerned they totally transformed the car- to the good, for track and road use. They are a newer design with newer technology, and are widely used - Ferrari 458 for example.

The 991 wheelbase and suspension are way more supple altogether than the RS-60, so I would not cross compare it with last generation Porsches. I rate the PSS I recently put on as being at least on a par with POs it came with- and far less costly

Last edited by chuckbdc; 07-28-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:50 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
I mounted 255/35 and 305/30 PSS a few days ago on 20" Forgeline GA1R wheels.
I had a few sets of PSS on previous cars, and I forgot how great these tires are. Simply fantastic for daily use!! They are compliant, quiet, and grip extremely well. I will be attending a track day at Calabogie this weekend so I'll see how they hold up compared to the P Zeros. I would def pick these over the stock P Zeros , and I liked the stock tires.

The do have a very different profile then the P Zeros, some might not like it. The rear tire provides a good degree of rim protection, the front not so much.

I had 10 track days and about 16000kms on the stock tires, let's see how these hold up.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:25 AM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
Unless it's "N" rated I will not put in on my Porsche. Let me know when Michelin Super Sports are "N" rated.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 2.00 average.

Quick Reply: New tires: Pirelli P Zero to Michelin Super Sports