New tires: Pirelli P Zero to Michelin Super Sports

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 02:16 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by hawc
Unless it's "N" rated I will not put in on my Porsche. Let me know when Michelin Super Sports are "N" rated.
It will be next year when the 3 year exclusive marketing deal that Porsche has with Pirelli - for the 991 - is up.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:32 PM
BCS14 will become famous soon enough
Pirellis over Michelins, that's what I've always preferred on my p-cars when it comes to performance and looks.

Sure, P-Zeros wear faster but that's the price you pay for really sticky, grippy treads.

On my Mini, it's the Michelins, for the mileage.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:47 AM
Robsc2s is a splendid one to beholdRobsc2s is a splendid one to beholdRobsc2s is a splendid one to beholdRobsc2s is a splendid one to beholdRobsc2s is a splendid one to beholdRobsc2s is a splendid one to beholdRobsc2s is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by STALKER
I mounted 255/35 and 305/30 PSS a few days ago on 20" Forgeline GA1R wheels.
I had a few sets of PSS on previous cars, and I forgot how great these tires are. Simply fantastic for daily use!! They are compliant, quiet, and grip extremely well. I will be attending a track day at Calabogie this weekend so I'll see how they hold up compared to the P Zeros. I would def pick these over the stock P Zeros , and I liked the stock tires.

The do have a very different profile then the P Zeros, some might not like it. The rear tire provides a good degree of rim protection, the front not so much.

I had 10 track days and about 16000kms on the stock tires, let's see how these hold up.
I can't find michelin pss 305/30/20 anywhere- they are back ordered. Are they available in Canada?

Old 08-01-2014, 07:30 AM
Nuke986 has a spectacular aura aboutNuke986 has a spectacular aura about
About 2 weeks ago I Ordered a full set of Michelin 20" from tire rack. Rear tires where on back order until Sept. 15th. (est)
Yesterday I get an email that all 4 have shipped.
Looking forward to getting them mounted. I always loved them on my boxster and hoping for a similar feeling on 911.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:06 AM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Robsc2s
I can't find michelin pss 305/30/20 anywhere- they are back ordered. Are they available in Canada?
They might be, but I ordered the tires about 6 weeks ago.
When I ordered it was actually the fronts that were back ordered.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:03 PM
Robsc2s is a splendid one to beholdRobsc2s is a splendid one to beholdRobsc2s is a splendid one to beholdRobsc2s is a splendid one to beholdRobsc2s is a splendid one to beholdRobsc2s is a splendid one to beholdRobsc2s is a splendid one to behold
They might be, but I ordered the tires about 6 weeks ago.
When I ordered it was actually the fronts that were back ordered.
Just called tire rack. Michelin pss 305/30/20 Back ordered with no definitive time for production run. Quoting December but not definite. Told csr about your post. He balked/ couldn't give explanation. Wondering what tire rack warehouse those came from.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:36 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chuckbdc
It will be next year when the 3 year exclusive marketing deal that Porsche has with Pirelli - for the 991 - is up.
If Porsche and Michelin do a N rated PSS, it will be interesting to see the price difference between the N and non N rated tire.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:37 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Robsc2s
Just called tire rack. Michelin pss 305/30/20 Back ordered with no definitive time for production run. Quoting December but not definite. Told csr about your post. He balked/ couldn't give explanation. Wondering what tire rack warehouse those came from.
I didn't order them through the TireRack. We have a local source we use.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:52 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by GS997S
If Porsche and Michelin do a N rated PSS, it will be interesting to see the price difference between the N and non N rated tire.
I expect the N rated sizes for Porsche to replace the non N rated sizes now available- a the same price. The market should require that given available alternatives. It is also likely they well be somehow better overall than the current tires- Michelin does not stand still. Even the older technology in PS2s gets revised from time to time- hence the N(n) series naming.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:50 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I expect the N rated sizes for Porsche to replace the non N rated sizes now available- a the same price. The market should require that given available alternatives. It is also likely they well be somehow better overall than the current tires- Michelin does not stand still. Even the older technology in PS2s gets revised from time to time- hence the N(n) series naming.
I hope you are right, but I think the N rated tires will be more. They always have been more,no reason to think they won't be this time.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by GS997S
I hope you are right, but I think the N rated tires will be more. They always have been more,no reason to think they won't be this time.
Agreed.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:18 AM
DKC
DKC is on a distinguished road
So has anyone fitted Michelin PSS 255/35/20 to the front and 305/30/20 to the rear of a 4/4S? Is this ok with the 4 wheel system?

I'm planning to change to PSS when my Pzero are done but don't know if I should put 245/35/20 or 255/35/20 to the front as per the OP's concern about appearance.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:12 AM
Originally Posted by DKC
So has anyone fitted Michelin PSS 255/35/20 to the front and 305/30/20 to the rear of a 4/4S? Is this ok with the 4 wheel system?

I'm planning to change to PSS when my Pzero are done but don't know if I should put 245/35/20 or 255/35/20 to the front as per the OP's concern about appearance.
I just put on the 255/35 and 305/30 combo on my C4S last week. No issues thus far, I am running 20x9 and 20x11 Forgeline wheels. The PSS has a different profile due to the rim protector, especially the rear. I think they look great, my car also has SPASM.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	398194  
Old 08-02-2014, 09:00 AM
I just put on the 255/35 and 305/30 combo on my C4S last week. No issues thus far, I am running 20x9 and 20x11 Forgeline wheels. The PSS has a different profile due to the rim protector, especially the rear. I think they look great, my car also has SPASM.
Re: "look great"- they do!!

Re: "look different" - after a week you will get a laugh out of any expression of concern. It's not like that minuscule stone mark in the clear coat that only you can see that drives you crazy. :roll eyes:

Old 08-04-2014, 07:19 AM
wanderfalke will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by DKC

I think Porsche uses the narrower tire up front to dial in understeer, seems using a wider tire up front would affect that balance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 2.00 average.

Quick Reply: New tires: Pirelli P Zero to Michelin Super Sports