View Poll Results: which car would you choose?
991 c2 or maybe a very lightly optioned S
75.82%
bmw m4
15.38%
other sports car?
8.79%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

991 C2, New M4, or somthing else?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 01:01 PM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
Audi R8.

Prices are down, content is up!

Old 03-29-2014, 01:37 PM
MikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of light
thanks for the input so far guys, appreciate it. ive driven my friends 991S pdk a good amount. have driven 996/7 c2/s, gt3's, 997 turbo/gt2, etc. so ive driven my fair share of 911's, but not a 991 base yet. what i really want is a 991 gt3, but having a wife and a 2 year old now, i don't think i should/can do that at this point. had i still been single, i would have already put an order for one. ive driven cayman and boxsters, they don't interest me much. i feel theyre under powered. i also have a bmw m roadster that i never drive, so i don't want another drop top. my heart tells me 911, as i really like the 991. i don't like American cars, ive driven the old vette's before and they don't interest me. same goes for the gtr, i can care less how fast the car can go around the n'ring. audi r8 is nice, but id hate to get one with the new one coming out very soon.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:01 PM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MikeL
thanks for the input so far guys, appreciate it. ive driven my friends 991S pdk a good amount. have driven 996/7 c2/s, gt3's, 997 turbo/gt2, etc. so ive driven my fair share of 911's, but not a 991 base yet. what i really want is a 991 gt3, but having a wife and a 2 year old now, i don't think i should/can do that at this point. had i still been single, i would have already put an order for one. ive driven cayman and boxsters, they don't interest me much. i feel theyre under powered. i also have a bmw m roadster that i never drive, so i don't want another drop top. my heart tells me 911, as i really like the 991. i don't like American cars, ive driven the old vette's before and they don't interest me. same goes for the gtr, i can care less how fast the car can go around the n'ring. audi r8 is nice, but id hate to get one with the new one coming out very soon.
Tough choices! All are sublime cars. I had many of the thoughts you do. Love the GT3. But, you know, I just went out and bought a actual race car for the track. Seemed smarter to beat on something made for bump-drafting. And running in the SCCA national series is an adrenaline rush not to be missed!!
The 991 is amazing vehicle. You can make a baby-GT3 if you want with the options. I like the way the 991S is in the "sweet spot" and fills most needs via the option sheet. The fact that the AWD variant is amazing makes it harder than ever to decide.
The reason why I brought up the R8 is that so many Porsche fanatics say, "why don't they put the horsepower in the Cayman/boxster chassis?"
Well...in a manner of speaking, they have. The R8 is very much a mid engined 911. It will surely be replaced in 2 years, but the manual tranny will be gone in that generation. So, if you want one, you need to act now.
I keep going back and forth between the 991S and the R8. Both are amazing. The 991 is a finer tuned product, but when you see what goes into the R8, you wonder why the 991 doesn't cost $80 grand. I spec'd out a loaded R8 at 10K less than a C4S with the same options. Kinda pisses me off actually.. LOL!

Old 03-29-2014, 02:06 PM
MikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I picked "other" sports car .

My first choice would go to a Macan Turbo . Even though you might consider it a "baby hauler" consider this : 1) It has spaciousness and more comfort than a 911, 2) it is as fast as a base C2 in a straight line and might even be the fastest SUV unless Porsche puts PDK in a Cayenne, 3) it's priced as low as a Cayman S . I saw the car in person and put a deposit on one even though there is nothing wrong with any of my cars .

Second choice would go to a Boxster S . Again it's priced reasonably and on top of that I find mine more fun to drive than my modded 911 Turbo . Of course its not nearly as fast but it is extremely well balanced and offers the best convertible experience i have ever seen for the price . The cabin space is the ideal size and the door sills are the perfect height to protect the driver from wind found in larger cabin vehicles . The mid engine platform is amazing .

Both of these cars with high options will run from the 70's to low 90's .

i don't want 2 suv's. i have a 2012 cayenne s that i paid $93k for, has 6k miles on it. i don't want to sell it now and take a hit on it, barely drove it and it still smells like a new car inside.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:16 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Considering the M4 is yet to be released and no one has actually driven it I find these threads somewhat premature. Wait till the car is out and go drive one then decide which you like better, that's really what it comes down too.

I had a modded E90 M3 before my 991 and loved my M3, was a fantastic car.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:32 PM
What seems odd about the M4 is that they aren't making them available to the automotive press yet.

With them coming off the assembly lines, you would think they would want to get the word out!

I hear some people saying they have a delivery date in June. That's right around the corner!

Some have suggested there are some last minute tweaks to the E-steering and exhaust note....

Old 03-29-2014, 05:22 PM
naples991 is on a distinguished road
I agree that it depends on your needs. That said the 991 is a sports car and the M4 is a 2-door sports sedan

The handling dynamics are different.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:17 PM
mrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by BrandonH
If this vid is accurate...I think the M4 sounds like garbage! ...one of the reasons I hate turbos.
Wow, please tell me that's a diesel... That sounds awful.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:25 PM
911F1 is just really nice911F1 is just really nice911F1 is just really nice911F1 is just really nice
I have a 991 Carrera 3.4 w PASM option. The handling is purely amazing! You can't really ask for more handling in a sports car for the road. The power of the 3.4 is ok. Not like the 3.8 thats for sure. The gearing on the 7spd manual gear box is really long. With 7 gears, I wish it had shorter ratios. Thats my thoughts. Good luck!

Old 03-29-2014, 09:55 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MikeL
i don't want 2 suv's. i have a 2012 cayenne s that i paid $93k for, has 6k miles on it. i don't want to sell it now and take a hit on it, barely drove it and it still smells like a new car inside.
I also have a 2012 Cayenne . It's going to the land of trade in cars come august when my Macan Turbo build will be complete . The Macan looks like an SUV but it won't drive like one . In fact if I had a 911 I'd be a bit concerned that the Macan can come so close, have useable space, and costs 90K with all the options instead of 105 for a high option base c2.

As for the M4 . I had two M3 cars (an 08 car and a 2011 car ) . It's not slow but it lacks the driving refinements found in a Porsche . I can write volumes on why I liked my M3 cars but never loved them and ultimately I have no regrets trading my last one in on a Boxster S .

The snag in answering yoir question is that I am also not in love with the 991 . That's why I picked "other". Of those two choices I's pick the 991 even though an M4 might be a faster car . It will not be the better car .

There are yet other choices . 90-100K can but a lot of car . My pick on that would be a used 997 Turbo (if a 911 is a must have) . I'd take it well over a base 991 C2 anyday.

Last edited by yrralis1; 03-29-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:54 AM
addysdaddy has a spectacular aura aboutaddysdaddy has a spectacular aura about
Think it depends on what your going to use the car for. Love the R8 but to me, it's more of a Sunday Blaster than a DD which is where the 911 really shines. A supercar for the everyday. Ultimately this was the logic that drove me to selecting the 911. YMMV

Old 03-30-2014, 06:57 AM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
Don't discount a 1 year or 18 month old C2s. Some dealers will still lease a 1 year old car and if it wasn't over optioned it will be in the range you want. You will definitely be happy you looked. Most 1st time P car buyers trade with almost no miles and leave great cars and great value to be snapped up.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:15 AM
RIndy will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by BrandonH
If this vid is accurate...I think the M4 sounds like garbage! ...one of the reasons I hate turbos. Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqlrxGjZ1eA
Sounds like the new F1 engine.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:11 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JohnM
The 991 is a finer tuned product, but when you see what goes into the R8, you wonder why the 991 doesn't cost $80 grand.
Not sure I understand either parts of that sentence.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by Alan
Not sure I understand either parts of that sentence.
Sorry Alan, I was in a hurry and did not explain myself!

What I meant was that the 991 is one of those products that is engineered and tuned to near perfection. Whether it is the weight of the pedal during heel-toe downshifts, or the smoothness of the shifter. It manages to be a neutral handling car when the physics say it probably shouldn't. Even the font used in the instruments shows how obsessed the engineers were. If you judge it that way, it is sublime. Now, go to the web and see how the R8 was manufactured, and what the chassis is like....the details in each part...the connector at the top of the A-pillar looks like it costs a fortune to make! It is just stunning. It is hard to believe they can offer that vehicle for $130K. If porsche made it, it would probably cost a smidge under a gillion dollars. (uh...without deviated stitching....if we added that,then it would be an even gillion) Since the C4S and R8 are similarly priced, (actually R8 is cheaper when equipped similarly) you notice things like the time and effort put into crafting the vehicle. No cost-saving parts like metal stamped chassis and macpherson struts....damn, even look at the underbody tray of the R8 with all the NACA ducts and it gives you an idea about how much cost they were willing to put into the vehicle. With porsche bragging that they average $24K in profit on each car, the point is pretty well proven by their own mouths.
yet the 911 is still something I would happily purchase again and may be the finest product in it's class. But, when I look at the option sheet, I leave lots of boxes unchecked. Not because I can't afford to check them, but I just don't feel like putting together a $130K 911. With the R8, I checked the boxes up to $130K and felt like I was still getting a bargain!
Anyway, just my 2 cents.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 C2, New M4, or somthing else?