View Poll Results: which car would you choose?
991 c2 or maybe a very lightly optioned S
75.82%
bmw m4
15.38%
other sports car?
8.79%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

991 C2, New M4, or somthing else?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 11:12 AM
sportscentury is a jewel in the roughsportscentury is a jewel in the roughsportscentury is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by naples991
Drove an M3. And given the weight of the car and the engine placement there will be a tendency to oversteer. I was a physics major - are you

You were a physics major? That is super impressive.

I just think it's a bit early to characterize the driving of the M4 based solely on the e92 given how different the f82 is expected to be.

Last edited by sportscentury; 04-01-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:50 AM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by sportscentury
You were a physics major? That is super impressive.

I just think it's a bit early to characterize the driving of the M4 based solely on the e92 given how different the f82 is expected to be.
Agreed. I have owned last 3 generations of the M3 and each drove completely different. No way to know how the M4 will be till you drive it, and to really know you will need to drive it out on track.

These threads make no sense to me since the car is yet to be released.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:51 AM
sportscentury is a jewel in the roughsportscentury is a jewel in the roughsportscentury is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by STALKER
Agreed. I have owned last 3 generations of the M3 and each drove completely different. No way to know how the M4 will be till you drive it, and to really know you will need to drive it out on track.

These threads make no sense to me since the car is yet to be released.
Yup.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:48 PM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
It's fine if you don't believe me. Enjoy your R8s. It's a great car, just not my cup of tea. I didn't mean to upset JohnM or you. My apologies. And perhaps to say "not close" is going too far on my part. I have had a lot of time in 991s and only 45 minutes or so in an R8, but I just didn't like the way it handled as much.
Fair enough - I wasn't upset, just wanted to give the perspective of someone who has experience with R8's and 911's.

The R8 will push (understeer) at lower speeds and especially if the tire pressures are set incorrectly. Audi specs the tire pressures on the R8 at 45 front/41 rear, and those pressures enhance the understeer. We have found that pressures of 36/35 makes the car more neutral. In general, the handling the R8 "feels" better as the speed increases and as you use the power of the engine properly in the corners - you can easily go into oversteer. It is a trickier car to drive fast than the 991. The 991 is much more willing to "turn-in" and it is more neutral at most speeds.

Last edited by Alan; 04-01-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:44 PM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
It's fine if you don't believe me. Enjoy your R8s. It's a great car, just not my cup of tea. I didn't mean to upset JohnM or you. My apologies. And perhaps to say "not close" is going too far on my part. I have had a lot of time in 991s and only 45 minutes or so in an R8, but I just didn't like the way it handled as much.
No worries! Truly, these are 2 of the finest cars around!

I wish I could afford both!

Old 04-14-2014, 06:54 AM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
What a pathetic exhaust note..

Old 04-14-2014, 07:05 AM
mrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by BrandonH
What a pathetic exhaust note..
The most enjoyable audio in that clip is the guy yelling "Sounds like my Prius!" in the background.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:10 AM
tx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of light
The Safety Car for the MotoGp in Austin was an M4 and the exhaust note is not good and a real step down from the V8 IMO.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:23 AM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
the sad thing is that the M will pipe-in phoney exhaust sounds through the stereo, so the driver thinks he is driving a V12 ferrari......from outside it sounds like a UPS truck

Old 04-14-2014, 11:39 AM
JoeyBananas is on a distinguished road
Wow. I couldn't feel more differently. I test-drove an R8 V10Plus (180k sticker) and thought it didn't come close to comparing to a modestly optioned 991 C2S for 60-70K less. R8 handling is not close to 991 handing.
These are the kinds of comments that really turn me off from buying a Porsche. Are you an actual car enthusiast or just a Porsche fanboy? An R8 doesn't come close to the handling of a 991?, are you being serious?

I have been a member of many car forums, however I find the 991 section on this forum to have more than a few Bougie clowns who assume/think the 911 is the end all and be all of all sports cars. (the turbo variant?, maybe, but certainly not a base 911, or S model. The fact that this car comes with a "sport exhaust option" so you can hear the exhaust more is enough to make you wonder how much of a "real sports car" it's is. Next I assume you'll mention you drove a $120,000 (because you love throwing $$$$$ figures out there) Dodge Viper and the acceleration was nowhere near as impressive as c2s, lol

Look, the 991 is a gorgeous car, I plan on buying one but let's be honest, you are paying an astronomical dollar amount for a car that's really not all that impressive numbers wise.....get off your high horse, "911, doesn't come close to an R8, GMAFB"

Last edited by JoeyBananas; 04-14-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:09 PM
empunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of light
Go for the 991 if your budget allows!

If not, then the new M3/M4 should be fantastic cars for the money.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:41 PM
Vintage Racer will become famous soon enoughVintage Racer will become famous soon enough
I want a 991 4S.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:53 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
wow the M4 front end looks extremely ugly to me.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:36 PM
ipse dixit can only hope to improve
How about a 981 Cayman GTS?

Old 04-14-2014, 10:22 PM
empunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by ipse dixit
How about a 981 Cayman GTS?

+1

If the 991 is out of reach, I'd consider the 981 along with the M3/M4.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 C2, New M4, or somthing else?