View Poll Results: which car would you choose?
991 c2 or maybe a very lightly optioned S
75.82%
bmw m4
15.38%
other sports car?
8.79%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

991 C2, New M4, or somthing else?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 06:21 PM
MikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of light
991 C2, New M4, or somthing else?

I have about a year left on my s6 lease, once I return it, I plan on making my wife drive the cayenne s fulltime. I made a mistake of getting 2 baby haulers around the same time and I would like to jump back into a sports car. the cayenne s I purchased so im prob going to keep it awhile longer. ive driven a 991s and like it. ive never driven a base and that's probably going to be the car I get in order to keep the payments where I want it. I also like the way the new bmw m4 looks as well. my question to you guys is, would you rather get a base 991, M4 or another sports car that's around $90-100k and less? I don't want a big payment and that's around the cap I can get away with without having to sleep on the couch while pissing the mrs. off. I like the 991, but feel the base might be a little under powered, just wanted some feed back from the owners.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:35 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Honestly it really depends the type of driving you do and the transmission you are going to get. The M4 will the a turbo charged car and while BMW may have figured out how to make it act like an NA engine I find that in my M5 it just misses the engagement and progressing down low. You need to be in the higher RPMs to really see the beauty of those engines shine. With the 991 Base I felt that you could really enjoy it down low and up high .... it was not a a super powered car but enough for getting around the city and doing a nice drive..

There is something to be said about driving a car you can push to the limits..

Last edited by uhn2000; 03-28-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:09 PM
MayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by uhn2000
Honestly it really depends the type of driving you do and the transmission you are going to get. The M4 will the a turbo charged car and while BMW may have figured out how to make it act like an NA engine I find that in my M5 it just misses the engagement and progressing down low. You need to be in the higher RPMs to really see the beauty of those engines shine. With the 991 Base I felt that you could really enjoy it down low and up high .... it was not a a super powered car but enough for getting around the city and doing a nice drive..

There is something to be said about driving a car you can push to the limits..
I feel the exact opposite. The NA Porsche 3.4 is really disappointing down low. If you aren't the sort of person to be driving above 3000 rpm frequently, the m4 will feel much quicker. Heck, my S4 feels quicker around town than the 991S. If power is important, it's tough not picking the BMW or vette.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:30 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I picked "other" sports car .

My first choice would go to a Macan Turbo . Even though you might consider it a "baby hauler" consider this : 1) It has spaciousness and more comfort than a 911, 2) it is as fast as a base C2 in a straight line and might even be the fastest SUV unless Porsche puts PDK in a Cayenne, 3) it's priced as low as a Cayman S . I saw the car in person and put a deposit on one even though there is nothing wrong with any of my cars .

Second choice would go to a Boxster S . Again it's priced reasonably and on top of that I find mine more fun to drive than my modded 911 Turbo . Of course its not nearly as fast but it is extremely well balanced and offers the best convertible experience i have ever seen for the price . The cabin space is the ideal size and the door sills are the perfect height to protect the driver from wind found in larger cabin vehicles . The mid engine platform is amazing .

Both of these cars with high options will run from the 70's to low 90's .

Old 03-28-2014, 10:30 PM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
Get the M4, it will be an amazing car.
You need to have Porsche disease to pay so much more for a 991.
If you are asking, then you are still of sane mind (unlike us).

The M4 makes more sense.
If you are not put off by the looks, the upcomming W205 C63 AMG will be insanely fast, with its BiTurbo V8.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:37 PM
LPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to all
The M4 is an interesting proposition. It offers a lot for the money. I do really like that car and the performance should be outstanding. However, I personally find it too big (the 3/4 series have really grown in size) but if you like the size it's plenty car for the money.

Why not a Cayman S? It's a really great mid engine sports car that won't break the bank. Or a Boxster S as suggested above - I had an 06 Boxster S and that was a fantastic car. Or of course a Carrera or lightly specced Carrera S. The 3.4 Carrera is a fantastic car but in test drives found I really had to rev it to get the performance out of it which is great fun but it's not a torque monster. Are you after pure power and torque or after the feeling of a nimble, driver's type sports car?

Old 03-28-2014, 10:49 PM
LPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to all
Originally Posted by lunarx
Get the M4, it will be an amazing car.
You need to have Porsche disease to pay so much more for a 991.
If you are asking, then you are still of sane mind (unlike us).

The M4 makes more sense.
If you are not put off by the looks, the upcomming W205 C63 AMG will be insanely fast, with its BiTurbo V8.

Agree on the M4 from a value point of view.

Before I got my 991 I was thinking long and hard about the upcoming M4. In the end my heart won out over my brain as I was lusting after the new 991 - I just had to have it.

Have you test driven a 3.4 Carrera yet? Your thoughts ? You really don't need to put a lot of options in it to enjoy it. A bare bones 3.4 Carrera with MT would be a fantastic car and a couple of British magazines have actually called that set up more of a driver' car than a fully loaded Carrera S with all the performance bits.

What is your heart telling you?

Old 03-29-2014, 12:19 AM
mas8002mi will become famous soon enough
alpha romeo 4C

Old 03-29-2014, 04:20 AM
genpop3 is just really nicegenpop3 is just really nicegenpop3 is just really nicegenpop3 is just really nicegenpop3 is just really nice
I posed this exact poll except on m4post last year - http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=870855

55 people chose the 991 c2
50 people chose the m4

Old 03-29-2014, 06:57 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
I say drive both and then see. Tough to discuss a car that you can only read about. However, I think its a tough call assuming you like both drives.

Base 991 - low TQ down low, heritage, its a 911, engineering, traditiol, connected feel, super expensive options, good road feel even with elec steering. Did I mention its a 911? great sound.... have you drive one? really need to experience.

M4 - prob faster, prob more numb, boy racer following, less expensive, certainly better value, better electronics, much more standard options, not a 911.

Just my thoughts......

Old 03-29-2014, 11:19 AM
easy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really nice
Went through the same decision "trap" a while back... M3 vs. 911; chose the M3 based on the same points mentioned. Ultimately traded the M3 in for a 911 and accepted my mistake. Numbers wise, the cars appear similar, but in real life, they are not. If you are considering a 911 and settling for an M4, that is how you will feel the entire time you own the car. If you want an M4 and are contemplating a 911, you might minimize the remorse (but you will still wonder). M4 v. RS5 v. C63 debate; pick one and walk away happy; throw a 911 in there and everything changes - it is a different experience that no other sports car in the $$ range can provide. Lightly optioned 'S' would be the choice.

<biased input warning> been there, done that; and currently drive an RS5 - all things considered, would make the same choice now.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:08 PM
cohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud of
If you need the practicality, get the m4. If not, get a p car...Cayman gts perhaps?

Old 03-29-2014, 12:08 PM
paradocs98 is on a distinguished road
I, too, just went through a similar decision process. My E90 M3 was at lease end, and I had narrowed things down to the new M4 or a 991 Carrera S. I also drove and REALLY liked the M6 GC, but that car is simply not a track car, and the track is important to me.

I would think that if you're willing to wait until late Summer for the M4, and potentially pay a premium over MSRP if you don't already have an order in, and you're willing to deal with the inevitable first-year model problems, and frequent track use is not important to you, but torque/around-town point-and-shoot driving is important to you, the M4 would be the way to go.

I ended up choosing the 991 Carrera S because I knew I wanted to do track events in addition to daily driver duty. The 991 is lighter than the M4, and so should handle better and be easier on tires and brakes on the track. The naturally aspirated flat-6 will be easier to modulate on the track, as opposed to the turbo inline-6 of the M4. And, since the 991 has been in production for a couple of years, there is a body of experience starting to develop for it, which means proven and reliable aftermarket and safety parts. And I've wanted a 911 for the last 35 years. After four BMWs in a row, it was time to make the jump.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:44 PM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
If this vid is accurate...I think the M4 sounds like garbage! ...one of the reasons I hate turbos.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:54 PM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
Corvette Z51

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 C2, New M4, or somthing else?