1 year service - Bay Area, CA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 05:51 PM
tahoe_joe has a spectacular aura abouttahoe_joe has a spectacular aura about
1 year service - Bay Area, CA

I'm in the Bay Area. My 991S is just coming up on turning 1 and is at 5500 miles. I plan to take it in for standard service (I assume oil and filter change only plus inspection, nothing else).

I contacted two local dealers. Carlsen quoted $379 and Rector quoted $259. Does that sound right for Bay Area (I suspect pricing outside of the Bay Area will vary, and while it's interesting it's not relevant here)? Any rationale for the wide divergence in pricing? These dealers aren't more than 20 minutes apart from each other.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:43 PM
Founder is on a distinguished road
Watching this thread with interest. Carlsen definitely gets better Yelp reviews than Rector, so I was leaning toward taking my car there.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:46 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
If one were to do their own oil changes, would it be a problem NOT to have the service done by the dealer?

Old 04-16-2014, 12:27 AM
2cardinalalums is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Founder
Watching this thread with interest. Carlsen definitely gets better Yelp reviews than Rector, so I was leaning toward taking my car there.
Me three, watching this with interest. Will need to get my oil changed in July.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:44 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
I live in NY and my first annual cost me $350 plus tax. Basically a ripoff. Prices vary a lot by State (and within States), with no standard. There are threads that discuss this issue. Others have reported to have done their own oil changes with no issues.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:51 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
I live in NY and my first annual cost me $350 plus tax. Basically a ripoff. Prices vary a lot by State (and within States), with no standard. There are threads that discuss this issue. Others have reported to have done their own oil changes with no issues.
For those in the NY/NJ area Town Porsche under $300 including tax. Just tell them you have the 10% off coupon at home. Good guys. Open Saturdays.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:59 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
I went to fletcher jones in fremont - mine was free

Old 04-16-2014, 07:03 AM
Spathiinc has a spectacular aura aboutSpathiinc has a spectacular aura about
Same boat as Fester, free from fletcher jones. ;-)

Old 04-16-2014, 07:17 AM
rossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud of
FJ for the win! But then again I might be a little biased

Old 04-16-2014, 08:24 AM
MayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud of
Does anyone see a problem with using a 3rd party shop for service? Much better mechanics around than the dealer.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:55 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Does anyone see a problem with using a 3rd party shop for service? Much better mechanics around than the dealer.
My 991's too new to do much service, but in the past I have no problem with a good independent for routine non warranty maintenance I'm too lazy to do myself.. Oil, filters and eventually brakes (which is really about all there is to do maint wise..).

I will say I want them to know how the 997 or 991 comes apart, given you have to yank the bumper covers and panels off to replace the filters. I really don't want someone who has never touched a 997 or 991 to learn on mine.. But a good independent will know how Porsche's come apart.

Basic maint on a 991 isn't really rocket science.. Just it holds a lot more oil than most expect and the filters are a pain to get at.. It's actually easier in some ways than for example an Audi I had with the friggen skid plates that had to be removed just to get to the Oil plug.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:03 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tahoe_joe
I'm in the Bay Area. My 991S is just coming up on turning 1 and is at 5500 miles. I plan to take it in for standard service (I assume oil and filter change only plus inspection, nothing else).

I contacted two local dealers. Carlsen quoted $379 and Rector quoted $259. Does that sound right for Bay Area (I suspect pricing outside of the Bay Area will vary, and while it's interesting it's not relevant here)? Any rationale for the wide divergence in pricing? These dealers aren't more than 20 minutes apart from each other.
There is a huge disparity in maint between dealers, that's why you should always ask price. The basic parts for the first low milage service are oil and filter.. Which at their cost are probably $80.

The reality is it is going to take them less than an hour, and a good part of that is doing something else while waiting for the oil to drain.(that they are also double charging for). And don't think the 100 point check that they use to make you feel like they are doing a lot. It amounts to topping off the fluids which other than windshield washer fluid is nothing..

But they end up charging you standard rates which is probably 3 hours and that's why it ends up as $400+..

Bottom line, is dealers who want to get you in have margin to work with, since in reality for the same service in an independent it will be $150..

What you should watch out for is the guy charging the lower rate is likely to try and up sell you on other things, so watch out for that. But hell going to Jiffy lube they would do the same thing. My motto is just say no..

Old 06-02-2014, 12:13 AM
tahoe_joe has a spectacular aura abouttahoe_joe has a spectacular aura about
Carlsen offered to match the pricing from Rector. I went to Carlsen. they did a great job, no upsell.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:32 PM
Traderjim is on a distinguished road
For new members of Fremont's savings program, you can get the first oil change for $120. See http://www.porscheoffremont.com/new-member-signup.htm. Of course, I got my car there, so I'm getting the first one for free, like Fester, Spathii and Rossii.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:12 PM
2cardinalalums is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tahoe_joe
Carlsen offered to match the pricing from Rector. I went to Carlsen. they did a great job, no upsell.
Was the $259 for only oil change or it included the full list of inspections in the service handbook. Of course, the inspections are of questionable utility...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 1 year service - Bay Area, CA