DIY Carrera S Front Brake Pad Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 03:45 PM
mtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond repute
DIY Carrera S Front Brake Pad Replacement

I couldn't find a good thread showing how to replace the front pads on a 991 Carrera S, so I decided to post one with pictures.

First of all work safe. If you're not familiar with jacking up a car and getting it on stands, then this is not for you. Loosen your lug bolts before jacking the car up. On the 911, the easiest way to get it on stands is to jack from the side rear factory points and get the car high enough to get stands under the front side factory jack point and under the rear crossmember.

Once the car is secure remove the wheels, remove the brake fluid reservoir cap, and then look for the brake pad wear sensor on the inboard brake pad. Grab it with needle nose pliers and pull it out. Make sure you pull it from the sensor itself and not by the wires. There should be a spring loaded clip on the sensor when you remove it.

The 991 uses a style of caliper that requires the entire caliper be removed to replace the pads. Since the brake line entering the caliper is rigid, I removed the bracket that holds the brake sensor harness and brake line in place to allow me to move the caliper without damaging the rigid line. All you have to do is remove one small bolt.

Now release the wiring harness from the bracket to allow some more slack.

Now we can remove the two bolts holding the caliper in place. For this you will need a T55 (torx male) socket.

After the bolts have been removed, wiggle the caliper off of the rotor so you can get to the pads. The pads will then simply slide off of the posts inside the caliper. Before removing the old pads you might want to insert something between the pads and pry them apart slowly to retract the pistons into the caliper.

Install the new pads. I prepared my pads ahead of time with anti-squeal on the contact points.

Once the pads are seated on the posts in the caliper, work the caliper back onto the rotor and reinstall the caliper bolts. Porsche recommends they be replaced when reinstalling the calipers. Torque to 63 ft-lbs. Reinstall the sensor by pressing it into the groove in the inboard pad. The sensor wire then gets pressed into a small channel on the outside of the caliper.

Reattach the bracket you removed earlier and insert the harness grommet back onto the bracket. I also would recommend applying some anti-seize to the hub area that contacts the center of the wheel to avoid the wheels seizing onto the hubs. My car never sees rain, but the wheels were already slightly difficult to remove.

Mount and torque the wheels. Replace the reservoir cap. Apply the brakes a few time before driving to get the pads seated against the rotors. Otherwise, you might be in for a bit of a scare the first time you hit the brake.

Good luck!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0014.jpg
Views:	13338
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	360698   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0013.jpg
Views:	12700
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	360699   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0036.jpg
Views:	15633
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	360700   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0017.jpg
Views:	13386
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	360701   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0019.jpg
Views:	12735
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	360702  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0020.jpg
Views:	12365
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	360703   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0033.jpg
Views:	12594
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	360704   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0022.jpg
Views:	12432
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	360705   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0028.jpg
Views:	12351
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	360706   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0037.jpg
Views:	12369
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	360707  

Old 04-16-2014, 05:14 PM
Banned
Naaranha has a spectacular aura aboutNaaranha has a spectacular aura aboutNaaranha has a spectacular aura about
Nice, thanks for taking the time out to provide the DIY for the front brake pads. Would I be wrong in assuming that the rear pads would involve the same amount of work?

Old 04-16-2014, 05:52 PM
Money2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond repute
Great DIY. This will come in handy for me a few years from now.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:03 PM
mtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Naaranha
Nice, thanks for taking the time out to provide the DIY for the front brake pads. Would I be wrong in assuming that the rear pads would involve the same amount of work?
Haven't done the rears yet although i did order new rear pads. I'll update this thread when i replace them. I assume it is similar unless they are like the old style Porsche calipers where you push two pins through the calipers to release the pads. The rear pads did come with some extra hardware which might be the spring clip that holds the pins in place.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:44 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice write-up! Thanks!

Old 04-16-2014, 06:54 PM
ma991 has a spectacular aura aboutma991 has a spectacular aura aboutma991 has a spectacular aura about
So the wear sensor doesn't need to be replaced?

Old 04-16-2014, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by ma991
So the wear sensor doesn't need to be replaced?
Only if the sensor has worn to where it triggers a warning light or message. It's easy to replace. Unplug the old one from the harness side. Plug in the new one and install it into the pad.

Last edited by mtony; 04-16-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:10 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Great DIY. Thank you very much! This will be very helpful for many.

OH -- and please post this with a link in the sticky DIY section, so we can all find it a lot faster months and years from now! thanks!

Old 04-16-2014, 07:36 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Nice!
Thanks for your hard work!! You get a rep point for this.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:03 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Great write up, hopefully it will get added to the DIY thread for reference..

Old 04-17-2014, 04:28 PM
MikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of light
the rears are pretty much same as the front. need to remove caliper to swap pad or rotors. why did you swap your pads out so early? dust?

Old 04-17-2014, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by MikeL
the rears are pretty much same as the front. need to remove caliper to swap pad or rotors. why did you swap your pads out so early? dust?
Yes. I have always swapped the dustless pads for track pads when I've tracked my other cars and the potential loss of fade resistance or initial bite has never been an issue.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:23 PM
TRM
TRM will become famous soon enoughTRM will become famous soon enough
Excellent write up. Amazing how easy a pad swap actually is for the 991.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:48 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
Originally Posted by TRM
Excellent write up. Amazing how easy a pad swap actually is for the 991.
Actually, before the 991 it was a LOT easier. Just pull two pins. No caliper removal needed. Kind if a shame, it makes track side pad changes just a bit more time consuming.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:42 PM
cool flash is on a distinguished road
Excellent work!

You state: "wiggle the caliper off the rotor". My rotors are worn half-way and have a lip at outer edge. How do I clear that lip with the pads. I must somehow push in the pistons enough. Can I just pull and push on the caliper (with legs propped against the rotor!) or does it take more force to get the pistons to move???

Thanks.

Best regards,

CF

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY Carrera S Front Brake Pad Replacement