MB AMG GT - A 911 Killer??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 02:50 PM
rallybagger is on a distinguished road
It is a lovely car and MB has been hitting home runs since the SLS design followed up by the S redesign and even the C and small CLA.

The problem is that if it is a two seater, I do not consider it a "fighter". I am in the market for a sports car and I require a rear seat with room for kids along with junk. I have no desire to but the C7 doesn't even enter my list. I am really "stuck" with the GTR or a 911 for my 2+2 arrangement requirements.

This car will be a lovely drive I am sure, amazing engine and finish, but to take me away it would need to grow two more seats.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:55 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
You know this and most things MB just isn't something that inspires me. That's just a personal esthetics thing and highly subjective..

So it doesn't even register in the 911 killer department because it would need a lot more than just a good design and good performance. It needs a sense of history and purpose.. One thing Porsche does understand it is the heritage.... So to kill it would take something that has similar traits.. Only a few car models come to mind in that sense, mainly because they come and go so often.. especially with MB, BMW even with the exotics..

I'm not particularly a fan of Corvette, but it is one of the few car models that has a long and connected history. So in a sense it is one of the few cars that evoke similar emotion. (Probably why there are so many knock down dragout fights about Vette vs 911)..

But if you are talking killer in the sense of raw performance, .. who cares.. go buy a COPO Camero.. probably blow all of these away.

Last edited by scatkins; 04-17-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:00 PM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
How much is it gonna cost?

Old 04-17-2014, 03:09 PM
rallybagger is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 991TurboS
How much is it gonna cost?
Great question - as with the McLaren 911 fighter priced at TurboS range, you have to start asking yourself exactly what iteration of 911 are they all targeting?

Old 04-17-2014, 03:26 PM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by STALKER
Its a good looking car.
Front end and proportions look like a Z4, pointed out on M3forum.
That's a beautiful car without a doubt!

Old 04-17-2014, 09:38 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by MKW
" 911 sales will be seriously impacted by the arrival of the.... " ....'89 NSX .....Viper .....Aston Martin V8 Vantage...... Corvette Z06/ZR1....Jaguar F Type......AMG GT ... next !
I'm sliding away from my 911 turbo. Its a true sports car that really needs a manual box. Now, no more auto-box, so if obligated to go auto-trans, then may as well match auto-box with a more luxurious-styled GT car like Aston Martin, Merc, Jaguar, M-cars, Maserati GT, Audi RS5, Ferrari F12 or even Bentley GT.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:37 AM
BlackSpeed will become famous soon enoughBlackSpeed will become famous soon enough
rumor has it, that it will have a v8 4.0TT motor. It's also believed that it will be priced around $120-130k.
AMG has been making leaps and bounds with it's lineup over the last 4 years and it is NOT the company it was 5-10 years ago. If you haven't driven some of their latest iterations, you're missing out. I'm loving my 991S, but if this GT is the real deal, I may be back in an AMG very soon!

Old 04-18-2014, 07:41 AM
RIndy will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ale70
The almost released new MB AMG GT (which replaces the beautiful, but way overpriced SLS SMG) is supposed to be 'The New 911 Killer'....

Does anybody else think that maybe the back of the car is a little too similar to a car we all know? What's up Mercedes?? Can't think of anything new?
IMO the back of a 911 looks good b/c of the front. They are beautifully balanced. The MB and z4 are great looking cars, but with their longer front ends, just not as appealing to me.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:44 AM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
Don't forget that the $100K market just got more crowded:

Aston Martin just announced their 911 fighter.

From what I see, this is a bigger threat to 911. Aston is a premium brand like porsche (they don't make panel vans like Mercedes ).

And they know how to tune a chassis......

Oh, and they are pretty too.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:21 AM
BlackSpeed will become famous soon enoughBlackSpeed will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by JohnM
Don't forget that the $100K market just got more crowded:

Aston Martin just announced their 911 fighter.

From what I see, this is a bigger threat to 911. Aston is a premium brand like porsche (they don't make panel vans like Mercedes ).

And they know how to tune a chassis......

Oh, and they are pretty too.
In defense of AMG and more specifically the new GT, it is a ground up creation by AMG (only the 2nd time, SLS being the 1st). So the chassis is all AMG and not a modded MB platform like the majority of AMG cars. Sure it will share some parts from other MB lines, but the performance items will be all AMG.

You're right, it is getting awfully crowded in the $100k+ arena! A good thing for all of us lunatics who buy these machines

Old 04-18-2014, 08:29 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Who copied what now?

SL from the '60s:

Seems as the the same car has evolved.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1960%20Mercedes%20300SL%20RO%2002479.jpg
Views:	1246
Size:	347.0 KB
ID:	361616   Click image for larger version

Name:	1960%20Mercedes%20190SL%200812.JPG
Views:	1148
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	361617  
Old 04-18-2014, 08:30 AM
Recent quotes from AMG about the GT:
"The Mercedes-AMG GT will thrill sports car fans throughout the world with breath-taking design and supreme agility."
"the GT is destined for a new segment - turning the dream of the authentic Mercedes-AMG sports car into reality. "
"Following the global success of the SLS AMG, the new GT is the second sports car developed fully independently by Mercedes-AMG."

Making statements like this is not something AMG will do without backing it up!
I have high hopes for this car and we all should be excited as petrol heads--raising the bar is good for all of us. And for anyone who watches F1, I think you'd agree AMG has some good minds at work

Old 04-18-2014, 11:04 AM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by rallybagger
Great question - as with the McLaren 911 fighter priced at TurboS range, you have to start asking yourself exactly what iteration of 911 are they all targeting?
Yup...if it is priced like the car it replaces, hard to call it a 911 fighter at over $200K. I wouldn't use a benchmark that is a lot less expensive. Looks bad on Mercedes, looks good on Porsche, hehehe!

Old 04-18-2014, 11:12 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BlackSpeed
rumor has it, that it will have a v8 4.0TT motor. It's also believed that it will be priced around $120-130k.
AMG has been making leaps and bounds with it's lineup over the last 4 years and it is NOT the company it was 5-10 years ago. If you haven't driven some of their latest iterations, you're missing out. I'm loving my 991S, but if this GT is the real deal, I may be back in an AMG very soon!
The price expectations that I saw are closer to Turbo prices, well equipped at $200k.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:14 AM
shaytun will become famous soon enoughshaytun will become famous soon enough
I think it's priced to compete with a decently loaded C2S. I'm sure they'll have iterations that will be priced higher.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MB AMG GT - A 911 Killer??