MB AMG GT - A 911 Killer??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 03:07 PM
FrstPorsche is on a distinguished road
No way they make it $200K. They are after the $100/140K market with this car. The SLS, while a great car, doesn't sell like they want it too because they made it to expensive. They are correcting their mistake with this one.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:44 PM
SilverSled is on a distinguished road
I've driven the SLS at speed on the track. It was my dream car until then, but you know what? It was incredibly disappointing - it had zero grip, was too heavy and had no room inside, and I mean no room.

AMG will come out with a modified SL coupe body, the car will weigh 3,990 lbs - and they'll tout that as a performance super car because it'll do zero to 60 in 3.2 seconds. It'll sound awesome, look different and do everything but turn. All for 145k. Oh, and the wheels you want for it? You can only get them on the Euro Spec car. Been there. Done that. No thanks. Love my 991 and loved my 997.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by SilverSled
I've driven the SLS at speed on the track. It was my dream car until then, but you know what? It was incredibly disappointing - it had zero grip, was too heavy and had no room inside, and I mean no room.

AMG will come out with a modified SL coupe body, the car will weigh 3,990 lbs - and they'll tout that as a performance super car because it'll do zero to 60 in 3.2 seconds. It'll sound awesome, look different and do everything but turn. All for 145k. Oh, and the wheels you want for it? You can only get them on the Euro Spec car. Been there. Done that. No thanks. Love my 991 and loved my 997.

Couldn't have said it better.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:09 PM
Kleev is on a distinguished road
Beautiful? Really?

Well, to each his (her) own. To me this contraption is racer boy jagged without a clean line to save its cross-eyed overbite on a decalcomaniacally big mouth. And what's with the vacuum cleaner-faired rear wheels jacked up like a $29 Home Depot hand truck?

Probably goes like stink, but bloodlines are bloodlines and I'd bet it's more like an sl230 vs. 356.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:50 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Wouldn't it be priced above the SL63? And that is one expensive car already.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:44 PM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
Every review I've read of the SLS says it sucks in handling. Seems more a trophy car than anything else. Even the European reviewers like Top Gear and Fifth Gear panned the SLS.

Owned a 2013 C63 AMG Coupe with the AMG Development Package, and the car was fast and handled pretty well, but I felt so isolated from the road.

The 911 is the complete package in a sports car.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:31 AM
AndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of light
There is no substitute

MB and Jag can put big torque V8 turbo/SC engines in their cars and they will surely appeal to some, but dynamically they will be very different from the 991. Wonderful and sporty cars that will appeal to many, but they are not a Porsche. All the 911 killer journalist stuff to me is about the same as the tired comments that the 991 TTS is just too easy to drive fast and that while they respect it they do not love it. Give me a break. Get the AMG or Jag on a wet surface and then see how much their owners like the power. In fact, I'd venture that the Audi D4 S8 would give them a serious run on a straight or twisties in the wet and it is a 4500 lb car.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:40 AM
shaytun will become famous soon enoughshaytun will become famous soon enough
In terms of design, I think the AMG GT will be beautiful. But one thing about the 911, when I see any generation, except the 996 (sorry 996 owners , I am envious. In that sense, the rewards of ownership of a 911 will last longer than almost any other car.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:51 AM
Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by shaytun
In terms of design, I think the AMG GT will be beautiful. But one thing about the 911, when I see any generation, except the 996 (sorry 996 owners , I am envious. In that sense, the rewards of ownership of a 911 will last longer than almost any other car.
No problem....I am very happy that people don't care for the 996! Makes it easier for me to afford and highly mod! I actually like the front of my 996tt...less like a beetle IMHO. The only thing that really dates the Turbo is the huge tail lights! I sure will be happy if the new LED tails come out!

Old 04-19-2014, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by Vantaredoc
No problem....I am very happy that people don't care for the 996! Makes it easier for me to afford and highly mod! I actually like the front of my 996tt...less like a beetle IMHO. The only thing that really dates the Turbo is the huge tail lights! I sure will be happy if the new LED tails come out!
Oh ya, I should have mentioned that I make an exception for the 996TT. I think those look fantastic! They look more muscular than the base models. I don't mind the big tail lights.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:30 PM
LPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to all
2 seater?

Old 04-20-2014, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by LPB987S
2 seater?
Im wondering also. If it's only a two seater with rear wheel drive I have no interest.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:58 AM
Pretty sure it is a 2 seater.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:07 AM
sportscentury is a jewel in the roughsportscentury is a jewel in the roughsportscentury is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by FrstPorsche
Only if it handles like a 911 and loses a lot of weight in comparison to their other amg version.

Yeah, good luck with that. And I'm a MB fan/owner.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:17 AM
sportscentury is a jewel in the roughsportscentury is a jewel in the roughsportscentury is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by FrstPorsche
Im wondering also. If it's only a two seater with rear wheel drive I have no interest.

Yes, it's a two-seater:

http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...#axzz2zRYq6qcj

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MB AMG GT - A 911 Killer??