Center lock wheel alignment tool?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 08:00 AM
AndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of light
Center lock wheel alignment tool?

Are there alternatives to the 3R Racing alignment tool? An essential piece for dis-mounting and mounting center lock wheels, but the only one I have found is the anodized 3R tool. It is a beautiful piece, but at $380 it is a very expensive tool. It would seem that Porsche would include at least a plastic piece to align wheels fro mounting. Have not gotten my TTS yet, just want to be prepared. Hopefully the two/three piece 48" torque wrench will suffice without having to get a singly piece breaker bar too. Suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:38 PM
DMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the rough
I had a 997.2 GTS with centerlock wheels. I bought the breaker bar from Suncoast to be able to remove the wheels, and reinstall them in a pinch. My tire shop had a big enough torque wrench for installation. By and large, you don't want to use a torque wrench to break open a (very!) tight nut. I did not have ceramic brakes - so installation wasn't as critical as it will be for you. I did shop around at the time and I never found anything other than the 3R tool (which I never boathered to get) for that purpose. Given the investment in your car, with ceramics standard - my vote is that you just get the 3R tool and be done with it!

DMoore
'13 C2S (back to 5-bolt wheels, whew!)
'13 Panamera GTS

Old 04-19-2014, 07:15 AM
AndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of light
found the Porsche alignment tool

A tech at my dealer got the information on the mounting/dismonting tool. Assembly aid Porsche part number 9794, 00072197940. Don't know the cost, but would be surprised if is more than the 3R piece. They also told me that Porsche sells a two piece torque wrench for $480. Don't know how it compares to the Precision Tools wrench. Tech did not think a breaker bar was necessary. I am not sure that there is space to store a 4' breaker bar under that cover in the front storage area.
I am surprised that there is not more information on the forum about this, as flat tires on a weekend in an area well away from a dealer are a distinct possibility. Aside from plugging a nail hole on the flat surface of the tire, what are the options for a temporary fix? Obviously a sidewall puncture is another problem altogether.