50th edition vs. Sport Classic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 05:46 AM
iambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud of
50th edition vs. Sport Classic

Dear All,

My background is I came from Cayman S -> 991 C2S, and I just sold my loverly 991 C2S last month since I want to get 991 GT3. However, 991 GT3 is not available due to the recent fire problem so if I want to get 991 GT3 then my dealer told me that I will have to wait at least 16-18 months to get the new production batch.

I don't want to wait that long (my bad habit) so I put a deposit on a new 50th edition. However, I came across 2nd hand 997 Sport Classic (2011) with only 5,000 miles and it is mint. I think the sport classic looks really great. I cannot decide which one to go, both cars are more or less at the same prices in my country. The Sport Classic seems to hold a value very well since it is available only 250 cars. I hope to keep it as long as I can!

What do you guys think? Will i am disappoint to go back to a ride on 997? I did not spend much time with 997 since I moved from Cayman S to 991 and 991 has a very good ride (my last 991 C2S has Sport Chrono, PDK, PASM, and PDDC). Of course, 997 has a manual which I am really like.

Which one will you choose and why?

Thank you in advance for your kind inputs.

Last edited by iambon; 04-19-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:17 AM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
Personally, I would buy the car you think you would enjoy the most, and not worry about resale. If you drive the Sports Classic and put any appreciable miles on it, you will probably not realize a lot of high resale value. Limited edition cars with high mileage don't hold their value short term, meaning 0-20 years or so, at least from what I have seen. A few exceptions to that rule.

Also, if you do buy the Sport Classic, you may get into that mindset of, "I have to preserve the value, so I better not drive it." That defeats the true purpose of owning the car in the first place. Drive it and have a good time.

That is the way I treat my Turbo S. If I bought it to not drive it, I might as well have a nice 1/18 scale model on my desk instead of a car in the garage.

Just my thoughts on it. But it is your money, so buy what you think you will get the most fun from.

Last edited by 991TurboS; 04-19-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:51 AM
FrstPorsche is on a distinguished road
I think if you have the have the chance to drive both, the decision will be easy. The 991 platform in my opinion is a lot more advanced than the 997. Both cars have the power pack upgrade. If you don't mind the color choices of the 50th definitely go in that direction.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:15 PM
empunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of light
Sport Classic, no contest!!!

One of the ultimate 997's.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:42 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
991 imo.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:25 PM
iambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud of
Thank you for your kind comments. I am not worry too much about a resales vaule since this is my weekend car.

I just not sure if I will enjoy the ride on 997 as much as I did with 991 so I will definitely follow your comment to test drive a manual sport classic this Sunday to see if I really like it it not.

I my opinion Porsche has done a great job on a sport classic body shell since it is looking quite apart from a normal 997 compare to 50th edition which is quite the similar to a standard Carrera.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2010_Porsche_911_sport_classic.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	360.9 KB
ID:	362973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Porsche-911-Sport-Classic-05.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	576.4 KB
ID:	362974  

Last edited by iambon; 04-19-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:28 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
The Sport Classic will be more special; the 50th will be more better.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:30 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
You may not like going from a 991 to a 997. I did it myself -for multiple reasons that are too long to explain here- and am back in a 991. The 991 is simply way superior from a technical standpoint (personal opinion, let's not derail the thread with this).

This is if you are thinking of a standard C2S, or even the 991 50th edition that is nice but not as exclusive as the Sport Classic. I totally love the the Sport Classic and it is a truly unique 911. I think I could consider driving the previous generation 911 vs the newer one just because it looks so good, even if it would feel like a normal GTS from behind the wheel (still nothing bad here, the 997 GTS is a great car). It makes me think of what a Singer will be in 20 years when they will have moved to the 997 platform .

I think you will still prefer the 991 in terms of driving experience, but if you go for the Sport Classic, do not make it a garage queen and DRIVE IT!

Old 04-19-2014, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
You may not like going from a 991 to a 997. I did it myself -for multiple reasons that are too long to explain here- and am back in a 991. The 991 is simply way superior from a technical standpoint (personal opinion, let's not derail the thread with this).

This is if you are thinking of a standard C2S, or even the 991 50th edition that is nice but not as exclusive as the Sport Classic. I totally love the the Sport Classic and it is a truly unique 911. I think I could consider driving the previous generation 911 vs the newer one just because it looks so good, even if it would feel like a normal GTS from behind the wheel (still nothing bad here, the 997 GTS is a great car). It makes me think of what a Singer will be in 20 years when they will have moved to the 997 platform .

I think you will still prefer the 991 in terms of driving experience, but if you go for the Sport Classic, do not make it a garage queen and DRIVE IT!
Thank you for your kind suggestion, yes i do follow your tread so i know a bit about your story . I won't put any of my car as garage queen, it is a Porsche so you need to drive it hard.

Here are some pictures of 50th edition with ceramic brake, sport PASM, sport chrono package, PSE, glass sun roof but no powered kit. Yes, she looks gorgeous!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1655.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	362975  
Old 04-19-2014, 06:04 PM
Charcharius is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by iambon
Thank you for your kind comments. I am not worry too much about a resales vaule since this is my weekend car.

I just not sure if I will enjoy the ride on 997 as much as I did with 991 so I will definitely follow your comment to test drive a manual sport classic this Sunday to see if I really like it it not.

I my opinion Porsche has done a great job on a sport classic body shell since it is looking quite apart from a normal 997 compare to 50th edition which is quite the similar to a standard Carrera.
Thanks very much for posting these pics. I am relatively new to Porsche-fanaticism, but that SC is beautiful. I wish my 911_50 order had a ducktail like that (and dare I say, the stripes!). Would have made it perfect in my eyes - til then, I'll suffer through.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:37 PM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
Either get your 991 C2S back or wait for a GT3 or GTS.
Why bother with a lateral move to a 50th or 997 SC?

Old 04-19-2014, 10:10 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
As I understand it, the 50th annv comes standard with the power kit.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:13 PM
Charcharius is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
As I understand it, the 50th annv comes standard with the power kit.
It is standard in North America only I believe.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:17 AM
pyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by iambon

Which one will you choose and why?
For me is rather easy when I was in your position.
Are you a collector? If not, go with the latest/newest car.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:09 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
This is a dilemma !
I prefer the 991 over the 997 !
BUT, allthough it is slowly growing on me, I'm not completely in tune yet with the mix of modern and classic touches in the 50th. The SportClassic on the other hand is downright GORGEOUS in the flesh (much more so than on pics) !

When I think of it some more, I'd get 50th in black, it will be a nicer drive and it is a gorgeous car. If I couldn't get it in black, I'd get the SportClassic, because I don't really like the other 50th colors.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 50th edition vs. Sport Classic