Old 04-20-2014, 10:09 AM
Go123 has a spectacular aura aboutGo123 has a spectacular aura about
Sport Mode on by default mod

Has anybody tried this mod out yet?

http://www.porschephonemount.com/sport_mode_mod.html

Old 04-20-2014, 10:30 AM
TRM
TRM will become famous soon enoughTRM will become famous soon enough
Not to bash a fellow entrepreneur...but $99 for reversing and soldering one of the contacts together seems ridiculously steep in my opinion. He should also offer a core charge so you can by the modded switch direct and get a refund once you're core is returned.

Maybe if you offer up your 991 as a guinea pig he'll cut you a deal?

Old 04-20-2014, 10:45 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TRM
Not to bash a fellow entrepreneur...but $99 for reversing and soldering one of the contacts together seems ridiculously steep in my opinion. He should also offer a core charge so you can by the modded switch direct and get a refund once you're core is returned. Maybe if you offer up your 991 as a guinea pig he'll cut you a deal?
Nope, It's more than just swapping contacts on a switch.. The switches are all momentary inputs to micro that sends them off to an ECU.. I think he's got something that locally automatically simulates a button push a few seconds after power is applied..

Only reason I aware of this as I'm working on my own mod to do similar for sport or just for pse..

So I'd say for $99 it is pretty reasonable given a bit of work figuring it out..

Old 04-20-2014, 11:04 AM
The core concept would be good, so there is no downtime.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:33 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I have the Powerkit (X51). If in Sport mode this opens the 3rd radiator and the car's oil would take longer to heat up so you can use Sport to it's maximum. I never go into Sport or Sport + until oil temperature is 165' F as per my technicians guidance. I think the same would apply but to a lesser degree in a 991 or 991S.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:41 AM
I believe even if you press sport immediately, it will stay in normal until the engine is warmed up. You can tell by the idle rpm not changing when you hit the button.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:41 PM
nash667 has a spectacular aura aboutnash667 has a spectacular aura about
Yeah but in sport + the engine revs each gear to the max....

The idea of letting the oil warm up first is so that each gear in able to handle that...

That's why you stay below 4k rpm till it reaches operating temperature. Correct me if i am wrong.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:19 PM
wanderfalke will become famous soon enough
I usually glide around in normal mode until the oil hits 165f, then press sport and let it rip.With all due respect how hard is it to press a button.This is a solution in search of a problem.Now if it always started in auto start stop that would be almost something.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:57 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wanderfalke
I usually glide around in normal mode until the oil hits 165f, then press sport and let it rip.With all due respect how hard is it to press a button.This is a solution in search of a problem.Now if it always started in auto start stop that would be almost something.
Yep it is only a button push, but then so is turning on the radio, the stations, and the air conditioner and many other things that stay in the same state as when you shut the car off. So why should this be any different? I would strongly argue it isn't a solution in search of a problem, it is a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. As a general rule the car should stay setup as you left it before shutting off.

I don't see any real need to leave it in normal mode until the oil temp rises anyway. I go to sport right after I start and then drivr conservatively for a couple of minutes until things warm up. Sport isn't going to shift at 4K unless you are more aggressive on the throttle.. if you drive it conservatively it is usually shifting in the 2 - 2.5K RPM range. (it isn't like Sport+ which is guaranteed to redline on you with every shift). But then again, that sorta common sense for any car after starting when its been sitting and cold..

To be honest, in the morning in my pre-coffee stupor I would probably forget to even turn on sport if it weren't for the fact that the PSE is default off and the car is too damn quiet. That's what usually reminds me..

Lol, even the wing stays where you left it.. (not sure why but for some reason I think I'm the exception in that I like to leave the wing up most of the time, parked or driving.. just like the way it looks).

That said, I'd still like it to start up the way I left it.. Call me lazy..

The real reason they default to Normal I'm fairly sure is related to the entire MPG/Environmental ninny/nag that wants to make sure that you get the most MPG.. I suspect they default back to normal so to support their mileage claims to the local gvt's . Thank god that they at least allowed you to turn off the autostart..

Last edited by scatkins; 04-22-2014 at 02:11 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:10 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
You guys crack me up. Looking for a mod so you don't have to push a button.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:07 AM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by scatkins
I don't see any real need to leave it in normal mode until the oil temp rises anyway. I go to sport right after I start and then drive conservatively for a couple of minutes until things warm up. Sport isn't going to shift at 4K unless you are more aggressive on the throttle.. if you drive it conservatively it is usually shifting in the 2 - 2.5K RPM range.
^My thoughts, exactly^

Old 04-22-2014, 09:49 AM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by drcollie
You guys crack me up. Looking for a mod so you don't have to push a button.
If Auto Start/Stop did not stay off, I'd be all over this mod to not have to push that button.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:00 AM
wanderfalke will become famous soon enough
Does the oil warm up slower in sport mode? I thought i did because it was being cooled continuously.I have to drive for five miles for it to hit 165f.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:35 PM
MikeDi is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Go123
I believe even if you press sport immediately, it will stay in normal until the engine is warmed up. You can tell by the idle rpm not changing when you hit the button.
Pressing sport or sport+ in mine does nothing until it gets to a specific temp....could be 165f but not sure.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:06 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MikeDi
Pressing sport or sport+ in mine does nothing until it gets to a specific temp....could be 165f but not sure.
I'm pretty sure Sport/Sport Plus changes apply well before 165*. As soon as the car stops idling at higher RPMs after a cold start, my throttle sensitivity changes, PSE opens up, and rev-matching is activated.

Last edited by Christophosphorus; 04-22-2014 at 03:21 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sport Mode on by default mod