Drove the 918 at Road Atlanta

Old 04-21-2014, 02:29 PM
rossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud of
Drove the 918 at Road Atlanta

Not sure where to post but since I do post mostly in 991 I just decided to post here. Mod's you can move if you wish

Last week I had an opportunity to drive the 918 at Road Atlanta. Porsche NA decided to put together a program for North American dealers to experience 918 and myself along with 240 other dealer reps through out North America were given the opportunity.

The car is everything you would expect. Its so easy to drive but can turn into a beast by simply turning the map switch to Race mode. Unfortnately we couldnt try the Hot Lap mode considering how tight the track is probably a good thing. Porsche exes were nervous about wrecking one of these pre production cars. We were allowed 3 laps once as a passenger with Porsche driver and last two as the driver chasing Turbo S's around the track. The handling is just as good with the 4 wheel steering giving you incredible turn in.

The interior is clean and simple. The new tech in the car is easy to use as a smart phone programmed in HTML 5. Unfortunately it wont make it down to standard production cars. According to the engineer VW is pushing the Audi MMI. I've linked my album with some pix and several videos. The last several pix are of the first prototype flown in from Liepzig.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11323...KL-8uLc5-yNjgE

Last edited by rossii; 04-21-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:54 PM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Lucky guy.

Thanks for sharing the experience as well as pictures/videos.

The silver over red car is just stunning... hell, they're all beautiful but that color combo is a winner.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:58 PM
wanderfalke will become famous soon enough
check out the tires

Old 04-21-2014, 03:02 PM
Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !
What an awesome machine!

Old 04-21-2014, 03:07 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Thanks a lot for sharing.
Do you have any idea how fast Porsche drivers went around Road Atlanta? I would be curious to know their lap time.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:26 PM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
I'm a little jealous. Thanks for posting the link.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:38 PM
rossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Thanks a lot for sharing.
Do you have any idea how fast Porsche drivers went around Road Atlanta? I would be curious to know their lap time.
I don't but will try and find out. Just a side note an instructor did a launch control and hit 175mph leaving the pits.....

Old 04-21-2014, 05:16 PM
ipse dixit can only hope to improve
Thanks for sharing.

Maybe it's just me, but wood inserts just doesn't work on that car.

And for some reason, this car feels DOA -- as if it's already dated technology compared with the more hyped and lauded P1, and the yet unveiled LaF.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:36 PM
Wood inserts? Not single piece of wood in the car....lol Ummm.....Dated tech? Hardly this car was designed as a hybrid from the start not based on current models like the P1 engine, chassis, transmission based on 12c with hybrid tech integrated after the fact. Given the fact Porsche has been developing their hybrid drive systems for years and currently has standard production models with similar tech means it will also be reliable. The regen system is amazing. When I started my lap car had 35% battery remaining after two laps in race mode 85%.....others can't do that.

It has better range in full electric than the P1 and Ferarri can't even do that. This is a car that can be driven everyday. But then we all have our favorites.

Last edited by rossii; 04-21-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by rossii
Wood inserts? Not single piece of wood in the car....lol Ummm.....Dated tech? Hardly this car was designed as a hybrid from the start not based on current models like the P1 engine, chassis, transmission based on 12c with hybrid tech integrated after the fact. Given the fact Porsche has been developing their hybrid drive systems for years and currently has standard production models with similar tech means it will also be reliable. The regen system is amazing. When I started my lap car had 35% battery remaining after two laps in race mode 85%.....others can't do that.

It has better range in full electric than the P1 and Ferarri can't even do that. This is a car that can be driven everyday. But then we all have our favorites.
Relax, my friend. I'm not dissing the 918. I actually like it better than the P1, style-wise anyway. Don't really understand the tech enough to comment from a personal perspective -- just commenting on what it feels like the media's sentiment are about these three hypercars.

As to the wood, are those wood paneling inserts in the interior? Or are my old feeble eyes playing tricks on me again?

Old 04-21-2014, 06:11 PM
handfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to behold
Owners have been taking delivery of LaFerrari.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:16 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
That is awesome! Thanks for posting! WOW~

Old 04-21-2014, 08:08 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rossii
I don't but will try and find out. Just a side note an instructor did a launch control and hit 175mph leaving the pits.....
Wow!!!
While you are checking lap times, top speed at the end of the backstraight (before hitting the brakes for 10A) would be interesting -and probably impressive- too. I have never bee able to get faster than 155+mph in my C2S but I bet the 918 must be wayyy faster at that point.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:30 PM
Z356 has a spectacular aura aboutZ356 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Maybe it's just me, but wood inserts just doesn't work on that car.
Originally Posted by ipse dixit
As to the wood, are those wood paneling inserts in the interior? Or are my old feeble eyes playing tricks on me again?
Yes, they are playing tricks, like a 'trompe l'oeil', on your eyes, ipse! It looks to me like the 'interior carbon package' (Option # 508) without reflection reduction (which would have been Option #506). What you are seeing, particularly on the passenger side, is the reflection of the overhead roof on the trim's surface! Good reason to go Option #506, I would say!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-04-21 at 7.12.37 PM.png
Views:	90
Size:	555.9 KB
ID:	363653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-04-21 at 7.13.14 PM.png
Views:	95
Size:	506.8 KB
ID:	363654  
Old 04-22-2014, 04:57 AM
Originally Posted by Z356
Yes, they are playing tricks, like a 'trompe l'oeil', on your eyes, ipse! It looks to me like the 'interior carbon package' (Option # 508) without reflection reduction (which would have been Option #506). What you are seeing, particularly on the passenger side, is the reflection of the overhead roof on the trim's surface! Good reason to go Option #506, I would say!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Ah, I see. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Drove the 918 at Road Atlanta