First Oil Change

Old 04-23-2014, 08:48 PM
Expect212 is on a distinguished road
First Oil Change

Its almost been a year so i scheduled my oil change for tomorrow at 10am, I'm getting a loner and was wondering how long does it usually take for them to do it, as well as what kind of loner do they typically give you.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:36 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
The loaner depends on the dealership and availability.
Cayman, Cayenne and Panamera's are normal. Sometimes you'll get a cheap Enterprise rental.
Oil change should take no more than 60 - 90 mins but prices are all over the place.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:15 AM
MikeDi is on a distinguished road
My dealership took 2 hours. I asked why so long and they said they let it drain for an hour. Don't know if that is really necessary or if this is standard. It was my first oil change as well.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:35 AM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
do it yourself, its easy and cheap,,i drain mine and let it drain all night, refill in morning

Old 04-24-2014, 08:41 AM
wanderfalke will become famous soon enough
how do reset the oil change notice the computer brings up? the price here in southern cal. for a oil change is 259 dollars at the dealership.

Last edited by wanderfalke; 04-24-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:09 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wanderfalke
how do reset the oil change notice the computer brings up? the price here in southern cal. for a oil change is 259 dollars at the dealership.
Get a durametric tool...

Although $259 is on the the reasonable side (at leat for a Porsche dealer). For that I'd almost just let them do it..

But I tend to like changing my oil at a higher frequency (5K miles for the 991) so I just do it myself. I also don't subscribe to the obsession to let it drain for hours to get every single drop of a 9 Quarts sump. Even if you think you got it all you never would anyway because there are likely places oil pool in an engine anyway that would never drain out. And the actual volume of oil that is left is insignificant.

Just pop it open, come back in 30 or 40 minutes, put on the new filter and then button it up. Takes a total time investment on my part of about 15 minutes.

Then take the money I save and go out to dinner with the wife..

Last edited by scatkins; 04-24-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:14 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MikeDi
My dealership took 2 hours. I asked why so long and they said they let it drain for an hour. Don't know if that is really necessary or if this is standard. It was my first oil change as well.
They may say that but the real reason is because the same guy is working on multiple cars simultaneously.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:28 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
If you don't let it drain for at least 45 minutes you run the risk of over-filling.

I'm still chuckling over the "loner".

Old 04-28-2014, 10:43 AM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by wanderfalke
Which SoCal dealership quoted you $259?

Old 04-28-2014, 10:48 AM
Richard911 is on a distinguished road
My Florida Dealer was $400 less PCA discount

Old 04-28-2014, 10:57 AM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
Park Place in Dallas is 199 for an oil change.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:28 AM
CO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud of
I just did mine at the dealer and it was $330 I think. However they called it my first year service and oil change. So they checked over everything I guess and also changed the oil. Just an oil change is much cheeper I suppose. I think going forward I'll probably change my own oil, especially if it's before the normally scheduled time. But ill need the dealer to reset the service notification unless you buy your own tool to do that.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by beemer guy
If you don't let it drain for at least 45 minutes you run the risk of over-filling.

I'm still chuckling over the "loner".
Not really.. When you fill you, don't blindly put in 9 quarts.. You fill based based on what is needed based on dip (or electronic dip as is the case for the 991). And the replacement qty varies, depending if you change the filter (I typically change oil at about half the recommended mileage, but do change the filter at at standard intervals). [Not wanting to debate the oil change frequency as that has been done endless]

When you drain oil, it isn't so much about waiting for a specific period of time, rather it is about waiting until what is draining out is down to a drip.. If stuff is still draining out that amounts to a significant amount in terms of qty, then if course you let continue.

That said I agree about 35 to 45 minutes seems like a reasonable time.

Last edited by scatkins; 04-28-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:50 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tommyboy214
Park Place in Dallas is 199 for an oil change.
Have you done a 2 year with them yet? How much was it?

ChuckJ

Old 04-29-2014, 09:05 AM
wanderfalke will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Christophosphorus
Which SoCal dealership quoted you $259?

San Diego Porsche I will report back on cost when I actually do it .

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First Oil Change