Keep, sell now, buy something interim,...help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 10:29 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Keep, sell now, buy something interim,...help!

I'll start off by stating that I absolutely adore my current '13 991S...but I rarely keep my cars for as long as I have this one and its done 8k miles and before I loose too much on depreciation it may be time to replace it with something. My preference would be to wait for my 2015 GT3 allocation but I don't see it turning up until the end of the year or early 2015! By that time I will have taken a greater hit on my current car if I were to keep it.

So what to do?

Sell now, keep the transaction (plus tax savings of 6k) and my money on the dealers books and wait till the GT3 turns up? Downside is that I'll be without a 911 for quite a few months. I have done that before and survived...with difficulty at times but doable.

Sell now and get something interim? Maybe a 991 Turbo, 4S, Macan Turbo, etc which the dealer would give me a substantial discount on. None are ideal but would keep me happyish. I'd obviously take a depreciation hit when I sold it but the discount may soften the knock.

Or.... keep what I have and put the miles on, keep annoying it as normal and possibly loose $10k in depreciation until the GT3 turns up?

What would you do? any suggestions? am I missing something? Argghhhh!

Old 04-24-2014, 10:56 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Hi Haku!

Not totally sure I understand the depreciation piece well. You have already taken the biggest hit (check resale values of CPO'd 991S minus dealership margin...) and depreciation is now 'slowing down'. If you keep your 991S waiting for the 2015GT3 that is maybe one year out, $10k of additional depreciation over one year is what you would lose for any car of this value, so you are not 'saving' anything by selling it unless you do not replace the 991.

Buying stuff you do not really want (Turbo, Macan, etc.) is really not an option IMHO: it will cost you a lot more as you'll end up in the GT3 eventually and will not make you happy.

Let's look at it: money is not really the object, otherwise, you would not talk about getting into a new GT3, or something else just while you wait, etc. SO DRIVE THE CAR YOU LIKE (=keep your 991S) until the GT3 is delivered (or the GT3RS? ).

Maybe I am looking at it too simply and you have the "new car" itch. I read somewhere that detailing your car is the best way to cure the itch (it would unconsciously increase the value and attraction of your car as you put personal efforts in making it look good).

Old 04-24-2014, 11:42 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Keep it while you wait.
You'd be settling with anything other than the GT3, and the depreciation is already "slowing" with your current car.
You'd lose the $10k you speak of with any "bridge car" and the replacement wouldn't be as much fun as your current 911 (except a Turbo S).

YOU CAN DO THIS...

Old 04-24-2014, 12:24 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Haku

What would you do? any suggestions? am I missing something? Argghhhh!
I don't know, I hear what you are saying, but I guess if I were much more wealthy I'd identify with your dilemma more.

But I'm not sure I understand if you are driven more by the financial aspect (i.e. depreciation loss) or by the desire always to have something new..

Most of the time sensitive depreciation hit you took the moment you drove off the lot. So if that is what motivates you, I'm not sure why are so concerned with keeping a car for at least a couple of years so you aren't wasting the initial depreciation hit so frequently...

If however you like to have something that is always new and are wealthy enough that you can afford to buy $130K car every year, then who cares about the depreciation. It's just part of the cost of your obsession with nice cars..

But I can't imagine getting rid of my 991 after a relatively short period of ownership, just because I was worried about depreciation on it... and then not have one for a period of time before I could take delivery of my new car.. The depreciation for holding on to a car for an extra 6 months or year or so is nothing compared to the loss on buying either of the cars new..

Honestly, the folks I know who have a desire to always have something different and minimize deprecation buy year old used..

Last edited by scatkins; 04-24-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:14 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
My thanks to you all!

As you will note from my responses to your replies, my mind wandered ad "something new" took a hold over "what I already have"!

You all make very logical comments and they are genuinely appreciated!

Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Hi Haku!
Not totally sure I understand the depreciation piece well. You have already taken the biggest hit (check resale values of CPO'd 991S minus dealership margin...) and depreciation is now 'slowing down'. If you keep your 991S waiting for the 2015GT3 that is maybe one year out, $10k of additional depreciation over one year is what you would lose for any car of this value, so you are not 'saving' anything by selling it unless you do not replace the 991.

Buying stuff you do not really want (Turbo, Macan, etc.) is really not an option IMHO: it will cost you a lot more as you'll end up in the GT3 eventually and will not make you happy.

Serge, you are of course very right. I think I was going around in circles and thinking an interim car would do. I'd get bored of it quickly and would surely miss my 2S!

Let's look at it: money is not really the object, otherwise, you would not talk about getting into a new GT3, or something else just while you wait, etc. SO DRIVE THE CAR YOU LIKE (=keep your 991S) until the GT3 is delivered (or the GT3RS? ).

I'm liking your logic.... and am feeling good about where this is going....!

Maybe I am looking at it too simply and you have the "new car" itch. I read somewhere that detailing your car is the best way to cure the itch (it would unconsciously increase the value and attraction of your car as you put personal efforts in making it look good).

You've may have just hit the nail on the head! Yup, its that itch! I aim to take your advice and give the S a good clean up. It may be time to keep everything as is but also buy a Citroen 2CV which I've always wanted!
Originally Posted by dux
Keep it while you wait.
You'd be settling with anything other than the GT3, and the depreciation is already "slowing" with your current car.
You'd lose the $10k you speak of with any "bridge car" and the replacement wouldn't be as much fun as your current 911 (except a Turbo S).

YOU CAN DO THIS...

Good advice and you are of course correct in the financial loss.
Originally Posted by scatkins
I don't know, I hear what you are saying, but I guess if I were much more wealthy I'd identify with your dilemma more.

But I'm not sure I understand if you are driven more by the financial aspect (i.e. depreciation loss) or by the desire always to have something new..

Most of the time sensitive depreciation hit you took the moment you drove off the lot. So if that is what motivates you, I'm not sure why are so concerned with keeping a car for at least a couple of years so you aren't wasting the initial depreciation hit so frequently...

If however you like to have something that is always new and are wealthy enough that you can afford to buy $130K car every year, then who cares about the depreciation. It's just part of the cost of your obsession with nice cars..

But I can't imagine getting rid of my 991 after a relatively short period of ownership, just because I was worried about depreciation on it... and then not have one for a period of time before I could take delivery of my new car.. The depreciation for holding on to a car for an extra 6 months or year or so is nothing compared to the loss on buying either of the cars new..

Honestly, the folks I know who have a desire to always have something different and minimize deprecation buy year old used..

I, like so many here work reasonable hard for the toys I have. So finance is of course an issue. But these are toys and not necessities and a reasonable loss of value is acceptable. Taking a bath would hurt. I think my logic was skewed by my "itch" for something new. It was also fueled by my expectation of getting into a GT3 sometime this summer. As this is not likely to happen the mind wandered to other alternatives and not on appreciating what I already have!

Old 04-24-2014, 01:18 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Old 04-24-2014, 02:03 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
There must be something about UK people (past or present) wanting to buy a 2CV
Chris Harris just got his as you probably know.

This being said, I love the idea of scratching the itch by buying 'iconic' used cars. I'd do it myself if I had enough room!

Old 04-24-2014, 02:45 PM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !

This being said, I love the idea of scratching the itch by buying 'iconic' used cars. I'd do it myself if I had enough room!
Bought a used '67 XKE once....in frustration, had nearly every electrical component wired directly to the battery. I finally gave up.

Itch scratched!

Old 04-24-2014, 03:01 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
I think you should keep and enjoy what you have until the GT3 comes out.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by HotHonda
Bought a used '67 XKE once....in frustration, had nearly every electrical component wired directly to the battery. I finally gave up.

Itch scratched!

I had a friend in Glasgow who had a Jag' and he would be so mad at us if we rolled down the electrical windows because he knew he would never be able to get them back up!

Old 04-24-2014, 03:33 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Haku
I, like so many here work reasonable hard for the toys I have. So finance is of course an issue. But these are toys and not necessities and a reasonable loss of value is acceptable. Taking a bath would hurt. I think my logic was skewed by my "itch" for something new. It was also fueled by my expectation of getting into a GT3 sometime this summer. As this is not likely to happen the mind wandered to other alternatives and not on appreciating what I already have!
Lol, it's that "itch" behind why some of us have had multiple wives, or at least ex's lol

Old 04-24-2014, 03:34 PM
It's the lack of sunlight

Old 04-24-2014, 07:52 PM
Porschejeff is on a distinguished road
Keep the 991 till the new one comes in. You will lose money on whatever you get as a replacement plus [ay sales tax again. The $10K is nothing. Enjoy it. There is no substitute!

Old 04-24-2014, 10:17 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Haku...keep it and place an order for '15 GT3 (don't need rear seats for the nephews anymore..perhaps they'll grow out of it ).... Don't worry about depreciation..that's my buddy advice.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:16 AM
Thank you all for your sensible comments.
It's another day and things are a whole lot clearer. The car stays and will continue to get pampered and enjoyed!

Serge, it's the notion of reliving the 70's that the 2CV portrays. One could jump into the thing with a bunch of college friends and of to the continent you go. No planning required and travel for as long as your collective meager funds lasted.

Originally Posted by Fester
Haku...keep it and place an order for '15 GT3 (don't need rear seats for the nephews anymore..perhaps they'll grow out of it ).... Don't worry about depreciation..that's my buddy advice.
Fester, good advice thanks. The nephew issue is still pertinent.
Last Saturday I had the best day out in the Porsche EVER! It was just me with the two boys. A great 50 mile drive to Chattanooga, lunch at a swank restaurant, cardboard sledding, a visit to the trek bicycle store, and a drive back on some windy roads which included 3 launch controls! Thrills all around! Just a fantastic day.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	777.7 KB
ID:	365647