How Porsche Created The 911 Turbo ****ty: The 'S' Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 12:57 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
How Porsche Created The 911 Turbo ****ty: The 'S' Problem

Don't flame me. Just sharing an article I read.

I have no opinion.

http://jalopnik.com/how-porsche-crea...lem-1566542551

Old 04-24-2014, 01:23 PM
FrstPorsche is on a distinguished road
I can somewhat see the point, although if you can afford a "base" turbo, don't tell me you can't afford the S. But one must draw the line somewhere. I do think the base turbo probably gets hurt more with lower resale values than the S. I've read that Porsche sells more of the S than the base. Im wondering if that's the case with non turbo base and S models as well?

Old 04-24-2014, 01:33 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by aaronchanfilms
LOL. Won't flame you but I read the article yesterday and found it to be a POS (disappointing coming from Jalopnik). Here's the response I posted regarding the "S vs base" thing (apply just as much to Cayman, Carrera or Turbo IMHO):

"I have a Carrera S because I wanted a faster car for track days and have friends who own Carrera 'non-S' because they did not feel they did to need the extra hp and were more focused on comfort and other options. I do not consider them as 'cheap' because they did not go for the S. Sorry to say, but this article is completely pointless. Get down to earth: owning a base 911 or a Turbo S already gets you in a very privileged group. Not all Porsche owners are mindless show offs who want to prove they can afford the most expensive car possible. As the author said: "At least, that's my ideological take. Don't bet on my opinion. ". I totally agree with him on that point!!!"

Jalopnik continued today with another weak Porsche-bashing article: http://jalopnik.com/why-porsche-911-...off-1567011597

Again, I could not refrain from posting my opinion: "Each customer case is different: was the car already delivered? how was it paid for (downpayment? cash? lease? loan? )? what is the market price and the cost of the "next best alternative"? what are the local taxes, insurance costs, etc? do the owner get a loaner from Porsche? does he get a discount on another model if he gives up on the GT3? Is it a daily driver ? Porsche has to bring some method to the madness in each market but having a standardized worldwide approach is not possible (all other parameters are NOT standardized, starting with price, warranty, service level, taxes... or to keep it simple total cost of ownership)."

I have a feeling there is something 'cool' about Porsche-bashing these days. I know about Nick's lemon (and am happy it got resolved even though we do not know the full details), the poor service or communication talent of PNA, etc., but I still love my car and still think there is no substitute

Old 04-24-2014, 01:45 PM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
I will gladly take a Turbo Shi**y.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:46 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by aaronchanfilms

I have no opinion.

http://jalopnik.com/how-porsche-crea...lem-1566542551
But he seemed to have glossed over a few minor things in route to making his point.. I believe the S also gets PDCC, Park assist.

So I don't know my quick math says about $20K of included options for other than the extra 40HP?

PDCC ($3,160)
LED Lights ($2,340)
Park Assist ($380)
Center Wheel Lugs (??)
PCCB ($9210)
Side Mirrors ($600)
Sports Chrono ($4,090)

So that would make the 40 HP cost about $10K ..

But I kinda scratch my head at his conclusion as somehow de-valuating the value of the Turbo by offering a higher priced version that includes some additional options..

Yeah I see his basic point, but it doesn't lead me to any kind of dismissal of the base turbo as a "Cheapie Version".. I think there is probably a larger psychological distinction between the Base 911 and S..

If anything as a potential buyer I'm more at the perception of there isn't really that much more in the Turbo S to warrant purchase over the Base Turbo. Maybe I'd do the base that and just ala carte add what I want..

Just seems like a lot of wind in this article that makes a rather weak point at best..

Old 04-24-2014, 01:53 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FrstPorsche
I can somewhat see the point, although if you can afford a "base" turbo, don't tell me you can't afford the S. But one must draw the line somewhere. I do think the base turbo probably gets hurt more with lower resale values than the S. I've read that Porsche sells more of the S than the base. Im wondering if that's the case with non turbo base and S models as well?
I think his argument applies more to the 991 vs 991S than the turbos.. It does kinda seem that Porsche treats the 991 base as more of an "Entry Level" 911... with a very strong push to upsell you to the base.. I don't consider the base 911 underpowered in any sense, but it seems they don't mind keeping it marginal in terms of HP to differentiate from the 991S..

I think the air just gets more rare with the Turbos... and it is a different market.. Once you are scary fast as he mentions... I don't think you get devalued.. just because there is an S differentiating the models...

Old 04-24-2014, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Michael_s
I will gladly take a Turbo Shi**y.

Me too if I could afford.. I sense the author may have an axe to grind.. There is just a sense of exaggeration of the stated issues.. Even calling it Turbo ****ty just seems over dramatic and out of touch...

Maybe he has turbo envy and is compensating

Old 04-24-2014, 02:01 PM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
Next year the Turbo, Turbo S and the Turbo S+. Turbo, Turbo Sheitty, and Turbo Sheitty with extra Sheitty Sauce

Last edited by 991TurboS; 04-24-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:23 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
lmao!

Originally Posted by 991TurboS
Next year the Turbo, Turbo S and the Turbo S+. Turbo, Turbo Sheitty, and Turbo Sheitty with extra Sheitty Sauce

Old 04-24-2014, 03:03 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Every car company preys on the insecurities of their potential customers.
This is why 0-60 times are so important, in spite of being of little relevance to those in the know.

All you have to do is look at the letters used to designate their "top end" models.
S, SLX , SLR, FX, XLR etc... but never AEB, GDC or HTD.

It's all a well-honed science to make you feel part of The Club.

A 911 is a 911. There is no "entry level" or base.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:24 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dux
A 911 is a 911. There is no "entry level" or base.
^This!

Old 04-24-2014, 03:29 PM
rayng is on a distinguished road
How were sales? Not as bad as if Porsche didn't make the S, GTS, Black, or RS versions of essentially the same car. It's not a problem to market the 997 in a different package by essentially packaging various options and upgrades and rebranding the car. This is how car companies make more money from existing parts as engineering and production ramp up for the 991. This tactic essentially keeps the car fresh. For those of us who obsess on these cars, a few of us will pay a lot of money for limited editions of these models, such as the 4.0 rs or the 73 rs, the speedsters, and of course the 97 turbo s.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:52 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I never got the point of getting the TTS. If keeping a base TT you'd end up tuning and a new exhaust and probably different turbo's anyway and end up way faster than a TTS for a whole lot less than $40k. At least that's how it played out on 996 and 997 variants.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:35 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Interesting article.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:55 AM
DaveChapin is on a distinguished road
I think Porsche ought to phase out the base 911. Just sell the S Coupe/S Cab on up. [Shoot I even think they could make the 4S the new entry point.] Leave the former base 911 market for the Cayman S/Boxster S. And elevate the 911 prestige in the portfolio.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How Porsche Created The 911 Turbo ****ty: The 'S' Problem