Am I Rich Enough for a 991?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 08:24 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
To the OP: maximizing future net worth is not a goal as such. It is all a balance of what maximizes how you enjoy life from TODAY until you leave this world. To dumb it down to the extreme, would you rather drive the same used Porsche for the next 20 years so you can buy a Ferrari when you retire or get yourself a new 911 every 4-5 years?

Just my 2 cents. Based on your income, you are not taking any risk and will not jeopardize your future.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:52 AM
Money2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
To the OP: maximizing future net worth is not a goal as such. It is all a balance of what maximizes how you enjoy life from TODAY until you leave this world. To dumb it down to the extreme, would you rather drive the same used Porsche for the next 20 years so you can buy a Ferrari when you retire or get yourself a new 911 every 4-5 years?

Just my 2 cents. Based on your income, you are not taking any risk and will not jeopardize your future.
Well said.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:11 AM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
If the OP is in fact making $300,000 year and asking if he can aford to buy a $90,000 991, it's the equivalent of a guy making $100,000 per year asking if he can afford a $30,000 car.

This thread is stupid.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:20 AM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hawc
If the OP is in fact making $300,000 year and asking if he can aford to buy a $90,000 991, it's the equivalent of a guy making $100,000 per year asking if he can afford a $30,000 car.

This thread is stupid.

If you make $300k a year and have to get on a forum to ask if you should buy a $94k car...............you need more help than we can give you.

Just keep making money, and for a small fee I'll tell you what car you can afford to buy and even find the right one for you every 2-3 years.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:22 AM
porschemama will become famous soon enoughporschemama will become famous soon enough
This sounds a lot like the thread regards to lifestyle, but giving op the benefit of the doubt...

I also looked into 991 for my husband but decided I wanted one too! For the short term, go for it and have fun. Should you have plans to have a family... wife, kids, private school, college could take a chunk of your money. Top prep high school tuition runs $45,000+ annually and college $50k+. A friend traded in his Ferrari when he started paying $10k monthly tuitions for 3 school age kids. Enjoy while you can.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:51 AM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
I feel like I'm on a reality show reading this thread. "I don't know Kim do you think Kayne should really spend the money on a 10ct diamond, he only makes $30 million a year". "Woe is me, Khloe".
Really, this is a car forum not a therapist office.
Sorry the "Jersey" came out in me. I don't live in Jersey anymore but a little Jersey still lives in me.

Last edited by Jersey Shore; 05-21-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:35 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hawc

This thread is stupid.
+1, this stinks of a 14 year old playing on the internet..

To the OP, if you are so immature you have not learned basic finance to understand if you afford it, then I'd suggest putting your 300K a year in a big pink piggy bank and give it to your mommy to hide in the back of the freezer until you grow up.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:39 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
You're too rich.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:35 PM
Luciddaydream has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I am not a troll. And yes I just wanted some feedback.

I just wanted responses that combine financial logic vs the emotion of a porsche fanatic.

Of course my financial guy will tell me to put the money with him instead.

Because financial guys are very logical. And it means more money for him.

But I assumed people here would be smart with money, but also love porsches.

I dont think my question was that absurd, but maybe I presented it wrong.

Of course I realize I can technically afford it, but I was just wondering how crazy it is. That is all. I was just looking for peoples feedback: Maybe its better to lease? Maybe its better to buy in X years? Maybe I dont pay any in cash and put the rest in the market? How much will the car depreciate each year, etc. etc.

And I am sorry if I offended anyone.

(Also, My dad made twice I do, for many many years... and he would never buy a 100k car.. But he also had a family and a large home.. so that is another factor).

I guess there are so many variables at play..that perhaps asking on here was a stupid question, and I am sorry for that.

Last edited by Luciddaydream; 05-21-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:07 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Luciddaydream
I am not a troll. And yes I just wanted some feedback.

I just wanted responses that combine financial logic vs the emotion of a porsche fanatic.

Of course my financial guy will tell me to put the money with him instead.

Because financial guys are very logical. And it means more money for him.

But I assumed people here would be smart with money, but also love porsches.

I dont think my question was that absurd, but maybe I presented it wrong.

Of course I realize I can technically afford it, but I was just wondering how crazy it is. That is all. I was just looking for peoples feedback: Maybe its better to lease? Maybe its better to buy in X years? Maybe I dont pay any in cash and put the rest in the market? How much will the car depreciate each year, etc. etc.

And I am sorry if I offended anyone.

(Also, My dad made twice I do, for many many years... and he would never buy a 100k car.. But he also had a family and a large home.. so that is another factor).

I guess there are so many variables at play..that perhaps asking on here was a stupid question, and I am sorry for that.
Your question was asked in a way as to if it makes financial sense and in that sense you got flamed because you sounded exceedingly financially clueless for someone in the top 2 or 3% income range.

If you question was does it make sense to buy a 100K car.. assuming you can afford it, then that is also a ridiculous question because any non-essential luxury purchase is by definition based on how you value things. And no two people are the same.... Obviously the enthusiasts here believe it is to us, that's why we paid the money..

However it seems your real issue is that you are seeking a way to rationalize or feel better about spending the money..

And from that perspective I think you have your answer.. NO you personally shouldn't do it.. Because your valuing is different or maybe your maturity level is such and is why you ask such an open ended question that has no real answer to a large group.

But I'd also say to a guy who can barely afford it, but has wanted and dreamed of one all his life and worked hard .. I'd tell him to go for it, life is short..

Old 05-21-2014, 02:08 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Money2536
I have the same questions. I just always wanted to say, "Approved!"
Not to mention how many kids are you going to have to put through college, and when at an average price of $55K/year.

ChuckJ

Last edited by ChuckJ; 05-21-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:42 PM
naples991 is on a distinguished road
One other thought. You could go on the Shark Tank and see if they will fund the car up-front in return for a royalty deal on your future income and investment gains

Old 05-21-2014, 03:55 PM
Porschejeff is on a distinguished road
Guys lighten up on the OP. Yes he can afford it and he should go for it. I'm a CPA and have plenty of client's that know how to make lots and lots of money (like 7 digit annual salaries and even those that make 8 digits), they don't know squat about finance. It's a good thing they know how to do what they do to earn the income.

I think this young guy should be praised, not being harassed about his question for for not being foolish and asking for some advice if he should spend close to $100K on a car. I can tell you I see many foolish financial decisions by those buying $100K cars that have no business buying them because of all of their debt and are living paycheck to paycheck yet they are making $750K- $1mil a year and can't understand why they have no money.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by Porschejeff
Guys lighten up on the OP. Yes he can afford it and he should go for it. I'm a CPA and have plenty of client's that know how to make lots and lots of money (like 7 digit annual salaries and even those that make 8 digits), they don't know squat about finance. It's a good thing they know how to do what they do to earn the income.

I think this young guy should be praised, not being harassed about his question for for not being foolish and asking for some advice if he should spend close to $100K on a car. I can tell you I see many foolish financial decisions by those buying $100K cars that have no business buying them because of all of their debt and are living paycheck to paycheck yet they are making $750K- $1mil a year and can't understand why they have no money.
All of that was true.. but the OP stated he could afford and it was not a financial question. So in reality all of the "advice" that was offered was irrelevant because he didn't care about that..

His question was instead a solicitation to made to make him "feel" better about a purchase. Which in itself is fine, but to a certain extent the reaction is not going to be overly helpful to someone who clearly stated up front he makes a lot of money.

If he simply stated, "hey I can afford it, but these things are radically expensive.. do you guys think it's worth it?" The reaction would have been a little warmer..

But agree, we should all lighten up.. Life is short. .

Old 05-21-2014, 04:53 PM
Luciddaydream has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Thank you Jeff
And thank you Scatkins.

Scatkins you're actually right, I am mainly trying to justify it.

I just dont want to be dumb with money.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Am I Rich Enough for a 991?