Does driving a Porsche ever make you feel socially awkward?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 01:34 PM
chiroporsche will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by TTCarrera
People actually ask you how much your house costs? All the time? Really????

By the way, how much?
They usually ask after seeing the house first. lol

Old 07-15-2014, 02:04 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dkim12
I get asked that by co-workers a lot, "how fast have you taken it up to?" I give them a genuine smile and nod, and say "almost 80." Just can't deal with that question anymore. It's like they won't be happy to judge me unless I top 160.
I HATE those questions. Americans only think in straight line anyway, so they have no idea how much fun you can have at entering a corner at 150mph (or less). They think - the only place you can do this is on public roads, like highways, etc... Some even go as far to say "What's the point? You can't drive faster than my Corolla..."

Ignorance...

Old 07-15-2014, 03:42 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I HATE those questions. Americans only think in straight line anyway, so they have no idea how much fun you can have at entering a corner at 150mph (or less). They think - the only place you can do this is on public roads, like highways, etc... Some even go as far to say "What's the point? You can't drive faster than my Corolla..."

Ignorance...
It is just the value that they place on things, and cars to many folks are just utilitarian things to move from point A to B. Those in that mindset will never understand why... It is also like saying why is an expensive watch any better than a Timex.. or why is staying at the 4 seasons better than motel 6. It is how you value things.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:18 PM
Lostturbo has a spectacular aura aboutLostturbo has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Capsfan
The only question that I dislike is how much did it cost. That is kind of private, I am happy to answer other questions regarding performance, etc. when someone asks about cost I just say a lot. Not sure how else you would answer.
When asked about cost I say ...I don't know ... I just STOLE it an hour ago...always gets a smile ...

Old 07-15-2014, 07:54 PM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Well, I am social awkward already, so not really a big deal.

Charles, I am in Milwaukee. I know of several others. Hope to see you around. I am in Elm Grove. I see another Porsche almost every day. Always give a little wave.

Marc

Old 07-16-2014, 05:32 AM
Robsc2s is a splendid one to beholdRobsc2s is a splendid one to beholdRobsc2s is a splendid one to beholdRobsc2s is a splendid one to beholdRobsc2s is a splendid one to beholdRobsc2s is a splendid one to beholdRobsc2s is a splendid one to behold
Absolutely, that's why I always drive it with my Darth Vader mask on.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:42 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
A quote I like, coming from a guy who doesn't like quotes. On an abandoned old bank in a blighted neighborhood in town.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1289953208.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	444.8 KB
ID:	396652  
Old 07-16-2014, 09:12 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 998M
Well, I am social awkward already, so not really a big deal.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:18 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I've been driving them since I was 22 and you should have heard the comments then!

ChuckJ
PS First one above.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:53 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Funny....I got 10x more attention when I was driving around in an Aston Martin. I consider the 991 to be a stealth car in comparison. The Aston really drew a crowd and I was commenting to one of my pals that it was annoying to constantly have Subie STi's zooming up to you, people taking photos of the car, etc.

He said: "So let me get this straight, you don't like the attention the Aston Martin draws - isn't this like a beautiful woman getting a boob job and now she's complaining because now everyone is staring at her ****?"

Perspective.

Last edited by drcollie; 07-17-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:35 AM
bernpep is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by STG958
A quote I like, coming from a guy who doesn't like quotes. On an abandoned old bank in a blighted neighborhood in town.
True, & also his life!

Old 07-17-2014, 08:51 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by charles.macneil
How do you guys feel? Maybe some of you enjoy it? If so that is fine. Its just not really my style. But I guess driving a car like this makes this happen. Maybe I'll tint the windows.
Yes.... tint the glass - it works well.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by drcollie
Funny....I got 10x more attention when I was driving around in an Aston Martin. I consider the 991 to be a stealth car in comparison. The Aston really drew a crowd and I was commenting to one of my pals that it was annoying to constantly have Subie STi's zooming up to you, people taking photos of the car, etc.

He said: "So let me get this straight, you don't like the attention the Aston Martin draws - isn't this like a beautiful woman getting a boob job and now she's complaining because now everyone it staring at her ****?"

Perspective.
Best quote this year

Old 07-17-2014, 11:23 AM
LPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Lostturbo
When asked about cost I say ...I don't know ... I just STOLE it an hour ago...always gets a smile ...

I like that! Good one !

Old 07-17-2014, 05:19 PM
Former Vendor
need4speedmotors has a spectacular aura aboutneed4speedmotors has a spectacular aura about
That might be just all in your head. If you want to drive a 991 Porsche in Milwaukee, Wisconsin you should drive it unapologetically. If you love the car so much for what it is, why would it matter what others think? Once you roll that window back up and drive away, you have no control over what they'll think about you anyways.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does driving a Porsche ever make you feel socially awkward?