Does driving a Porsche ever make you feel socially awkward?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 06:42 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by need4speedmotors
That might be just all in your head. If you want to drive a 991 Porsche in Milwaukee, Wisconsin you should drive it unapologetically. If you love the car so much for what it is, why would it matter what others think? Once you roll that window back up and drive away, you have no control over what they'll think about you anyways.
Yep agree..

The one thing about this thread I realized is that there are really two issues. 1) Is it awkward which is how you feel and 2) How other peoples who are aholes or exhibit inept behavior.

For #1, To feel awkward about having something nice (name it.. car, watch, clothes etc) I suppose is just a personal thing.. If you like it and enjoy it do it.. it isn't hurting anyone else. If you can't deal with it then drive a Toyota or see a shrink.

For #2, you can't control what other people think. I'm not going to not do something because my neighbor or someone else thinks it is precocious or whatever. Couldn't care less if they like it or not.

That isn't to say, you shove it down other throats by bragging, showing off etc. That's just as inept as someone asking how much something costs.

On the other hand, I watch myself in certain parts of town.. Seems like there is a certain area near me (for lack of a better term I'll call it very working class and I don't mean that to demean working folks.. just an area that is rough around the edges..).. seems like everytime I'm at a stop light in that area I've got some dingleberry hanging out his pickup truck or rusty 1975 datsun B210 window wanting to make a comment and get my attention. For the most part I just attempt to avoid the situation entirely.

Last edited by scatkins; 07-17-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:13 PM
Banned
CALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond repute
I truly can't believe this is still being discussed? Who give a SH-T. Drive the car and enjoy it. F everyone else.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:14 PM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by scatkins
Yep agree.. The one thing about this thread I realized is that there are really two issues. 1) Is it awkward which is how you feel and 2) How other peoples who are aholes or exhibit inept behavior. For #1, To feel awkward about having something nice (name it.. car, watch, clothes etc) I suppose is just a personal thing.. If you like it and enjoy it do it.. it isn't hurting anyone else. If you can't deal with it then drive a Toyota or see a shrink. For #2, you can't control what other people think. I'm not going to not do something because my neighbor or someone else thinks it is precocious or whatever. Couldn't care less if they like it or not. That isn't to say, you shove it down other throats by bragging, showing off etc. That's just as inept as someone asking how much something costs. On the other hand, I watch myself in certain parts of town.. Seems like there is a certain area near me (for lack of a better term I'll call it very working class and I don't mean that to demean working folks.. just an area that is rough around the edges..).. seems like everytime I'm at a stop light in that area I've got some dingleberry hanging out his pickup truck or rusty 1975 datsun B210 window wanting to make a comment and get my attention. For the most part I just attempt to avoid the situation entirely.
Agree.

If you can help me out by not having to be working class and still enjoy nice things, please help a fellow Porsche fan out here! : )

Old 07-18-2014, 08:26 AM
wanderfalke will become famous soon enough
In my life I have spend a lot of money on cars, the rest of it was just wasted.

Last edited by wanderfalke; 07-18-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:19 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CALGUY
I truly can't believe this is still being discussed? Who give a SH-T. Drive the car and enjoy it. F everyone else.
I think it is evidence that some people understand the impact of one's perceptions, and how it can affect your life/objects. If people are in a position to alter your property, it may help to "give a SH-T", and to NOT "F everyone else". Easiest way to find an egg thrown at your car, a key mark, door ding, boot mark, etc... on your vehicle.

(That's without any other property or politics at play, from a person in a position to alter anything else in your life)

Old 07-18-2014, 03:15 PM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I think it is evidence that some people understand the impact of one's perceptions, and how it can affect your life/objects. If people are in a position to alter your property, it may help to "give a SH-T", and to NOT "F everyone else". Easiest way to find an egg thrown at your car, a key mark, door ding, boot mark, etc... on your vehicle.

(That's without any other property or politics at play, from a person in a position to alter anything else in your life)
From the above statment, I am pretty sure you are an attorney

Old 07-18-2014, 11:54 PM
1analguy is on a distinguished road
How much did it cost?

There was a thread over on Rennlist about answering this question. The response I liked best: "I won't know until I sell it". Personally, I'll be saying "My Corvette, my Challenger, and my BMW and Harley bikes"...

Old 07-19-2014, 09:59 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 998M
From the above statment, I am pretty sure you are an attorney
This, sir, is one of the rudest comments I have ever seen, anywhere... The only one worse than that would have been a (car) salesmen.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:25 PM
chiroporsche will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by wanderfalke
In my life I have spend a lot of money on cars, the rest of it was just wasted.
That's perfect!

Old 07-22-2014, 06:59 PM
strandolph is on a distinguished road
First, to the original post,... A little. I've driven some pretty nice cars over the years, but most were "old" and "interesting" so the kind of attention I got was mostly positive. With this car, as with others, I'm not in it for the attention, so it feels a little awkward when it comes. Unless it's a fellow car guy/gal. If someone walks up and asks, "how did you get quad exhaust tips on a C2?" I'm perfectly at ease.

Secondly, a bit of an aside about situational awareness... In 1989 I got my first real job and bought my dream car. A 1987 928S4. Two months after I bought it, I parked in the far back of a parking lot at an office building I was visiting--Against the fence surrounding the lot, away from other cars and possible door dings. I came down from my meeting to find my new baby keyed across the side, around the back, and up the other side. Down to the primer. Little did I know, the section of fence I parked against housed a door that connected the lot to the high rise apartment building next door. Evidently, someone used that door to cut through the lot and had a jealous, destructive moment. I like to think karma has repaid the a-hole many times over, but the $6K repaint taught me a lesson about situational awareness that I never forgot. When I sold that car 10 years later, it was as pristine as it was when it left the paint shop.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:23 PM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jaspergtr

I've never had any of these things happen to me. 2nd if you go into politics and buying a nice car make keep you from getting a raise well then you don't buy it and take it to work. Do you see Obama driving a ferrari? Do you see any president driving a Ferrari? They could if they wanted to. Think about it......

Old 07-22-2014, 10:58 PM
shaytun will become famous soon enoughshaytun will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by speedsterr
I've never had any of these things happen to me. 2nd if you go into politics and buying a nice car make keep you from getting a raise well then you don't buy it and take it to work. Do you see Obama driving a ferrari? Do you see any president driving a Ferrari? They could if they wanted to. Think about it......
I wish our presidents did drive Ferrari's. But this country is so conservative about politics it wouldn't happen. Politicians only wear navy suits with red or blue ties. Anything else would be un-American. They have to wear the pin of our flag to prove their loyalty. God forbid they're stylish and drive a nice car, and a foreign one at that.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:08 AM
charlielong3 is just really nicecharlielong3 is just really nicecharlielong3 is just really nicecharlielong3 is just really nicecharlielong3 is just really nice
Awkward.. YES

Most of the comments I get or look I get are usually negative in my 991 C2S Cabriolet.. I don't drive like a jerk, i just attracts negative attention. I have heard of others who suffer from the same problem. I live in South Dakota, however, so I understand the small town aspect of it. Most farmers don't see the Porsche positively like cities do.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:45 AM
keitholcha is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by charlielong3
Most of the comments I get or look I get are usually negative in my 991 C2S Cabriolet.. I don't drive like a jerk, i just attracts negative attention. I have heard of others who suffer from the same problem. I live in South Dakota, however, so I understand the small town aspect of it. Most farmers don't see the Porsche positively like cities do.
Agreed. I've bought 7 Porsches for the street, 5 of them new, along with a 5 other high-end cars over the years. I live in Texas. I also have had 3 Diesel pickup trucks (currently drive a 2013). In Texas, depending upon where you are you can pull up in a $65k MSRP maxed-out F250 or F350, and they say nothing at all, or "nice truck." If you pull up in my 1980 911SC worth about $20k on the open market, they look at you and size you up, or possibly say something to you. A lot of this is where you live, who you interact with, and what they do, etc.

-Keith

Old 07-23-2014, 08:56 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by keitholcha
Agreed. In Texas, depending upon where you are you can pull up in a $65k MSRP maxed-out F250 or F350, and they say nothing at all, or "nice truck." If you pull up in my 1980 911SC worth about $20k on the open market, they look at you and size you up, or possibly say something to you. A lot of this is where you live, who you interact with, and what they do, etc.

-Keith
So true. I had a 10 year old M3 that people made fun of while they were driving $40k SUVs.

Marc

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does driving a Porsche ever make you feel socially awkward?