Car and Driver C2 vs M4

Old 07-19-2014, 09:19 AM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wanderfalke
More agile? What 991 are you driving, mine is light on its feet.
Like all 911 drivers, you want to believe the 911 handles well. It should, it's a Porsche right? They do to a degree, but not compared to Porsche's mid engine offerings and many competitors. Like all 911s, they enter corners slower than they should due to the lump hanging out the back, but do power out quick. That can be fun, but it's misleading compared to cars which actually do corner much better, and are more stable entering corners. Cornering is really not the 911s forte. Never has been, and doubt it ever will be. I'm not saying it's critically bad or anything close, just not what I desire it to be. I prefer a car that enters corners quick and can carry the corner speed. The 991 is definitely an improvement over the 997 though.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:55 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve997S
Like all 911 drivers, you want to believe the 911 handles well. It should, it's a Porsche right? They do to a degree, but not compared to Porsche's mid engine offerings and many competitors. Like all 911s, they enter corners slower than they should due to the lump hanging out the back, but do power out quick. That can be fun, but it's misleading compared to cars which actually do corner much better, and are more stable entering corners. Cornering is really not the 911s forte. Never has been, and doubt it ever will be. I'm not saying it's critically bad or anything close, just not what I desire it to be. I prefer a car that enters corners quick and can carry the corner speed. The 991 is definitely an improvement over the 997 though.
I guess you can't beat physics and weight distribution right?

I do like having an open area behind the seats in the 991 though with the rear engine placement. With the mid engines I feel too confined. Just a sensory thing because obviously the front seat area is a comparable size.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:00 AM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by galion
ohh....He drives a 981s
Standard response when you don't want to acknowledge reality. If I ever live in Germany again, I would want another 911. Great autobahn machine for sure. B roads, not as much.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by STG958
I guess you can't beat physics and weight distribution right?

I do like having an open area behind the seats in the 991 though with the rear engine placement. With the mid engines I feel too confined. Just a sensory thing because obviously the front seat area is a comparable size.
I agree. I miss the cabin space of the 911. The back seats make for odd shaped places to place things you may need to carry. But the extra volume is nice. I have to applaud Porsche for not giving up on the 911, and still pushing to make it better and better. It does define Porsche. Just wish it cornered better, especially when entering. Corners I used to tip toe through I can now push into very aggressively. Of course i don't have the grunt pulling out anymore. I guess you pick your poison.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:22 AM
BCS14 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by STG958
I do like having an open area behind the seats in the 991 though with the rear engine placement. With the mid engines I feel too confined. Just a sensory thing...
Yeah, same here. I like being able to place things in the back like my camera bag and reach back for it readily, instead of needing to put it in the trunk if I'm with a passenger. My first P-car was a BoxsterS and I didn't much like the limited space. So when I swapped it for my first 911 the roominess was one of the things I really liked about the 911.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:35 AM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
Do people even cross shop these 2 cars?

If I was in the hunt for a 911 again, I would probably look at the R8, GTR, used SLS, used Continental Supersport and the new Z06.... but not the M3.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:03 AM
sportscentury is a jewel in the roughsportscentury is a jewel in the roughsportscentury is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 1analguy
I don't know about everyone else, but I understood you perfectly, first time around...

Yes, I had no problem understanding him either. Either way, the post was certainly nothing to stress out about!

Old 07-19-2014, 11:04 AM
sportscentury is a jewel in the roughsportscentury is a jewel in the roughsportscentury is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by wanderfalke
More agile? What 991 are you driving, mine is light on its feet. It is always composed and ready for the next hairpin..

Yup, there are a few twilight zone comments in this thread.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:30 PM
AllForTheCash will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by sportscentury
Yup, there are a few twilight zone comments in this thread.
Yes...Like many have said, the article compares the M4 to a non-PDK base 911. And it still came close.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:08 PM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Seriously? I don't have any interest in the M4 but it's buckets more agile and quicker than the 991 base. The fact the 981 Boxster S/Cayman S slaughter the 991 base around Nurburgring with detuned versions of the same motor show just how weak the 991 chassis is. 911s are capable only due to power, not cornering.
Oh yes my 991 is piece of crap, I always come to a full stop, turn the car around and drive through the corners backwards so in effect I have a fe & fwd car, that's how bad the chassis is. Last time out a Dacia Logan blew past me !

Funny enough that it still is the yardstick in nearly every sportscar test it read.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:12 PM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Yet still Porsche picks that crap chassis and layout as their preferred (and successfull) racing platform !

Old 07-19-2014, 03:32 PM
Capsfan is on a distinguished road
If I was in the market for a base Carrera I would consider an M4 primarily because of value. The M4 is beautiful and offers quite a lot for $75k. I would definitely buy it over a Boxster or cayman. There is no way I would replace my 991s with an m4 unless I had to downsize my budget.

In regards to handling, Porsches, especially 911's are known to be amongst the best handling cars in the world. I know the cayman does very, very well and with equal power would beat the 991 around a track all day. Having said this I would still take the 991s because I'm not racing.

BTW, who care what some writer thinks? Just another opinion that means nothing. Buy what you like and enjoy it. When you get bored buy something else.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by bccars
Yet still Porsche picks that crap chassis and layout as their preferred (and successfull) racing platform !
Their racing program customer cars are a far cry from production models. Who said the chassis was crap? I didn't. Just pointed out it hinders the car from being a better performer. You explain why the base 991 with 350 hp and the same motor as the 981 S (Boxster and Cayman) albeit detuned with 315 and 325 hp respectively, and same brakes, is considerably slower around the only race course in the world where these cars are engineered and perfected.

Must be the chassis! Ding, Ding, Ding!!

Last edited by Steve997S; 07-19-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Capsfan
In regards to handling, Porsches, especially 911's are known to be amongst the best handling cars in the world.
How's that Kool-Aid taste?

911s have been known for ill-handling since the very beginning. Sublime steering, but cornering bordering on dangerous through the years. Porsche has done a great job to bring it to the level of performance it now exhibits, but without the mass electronics and super wide rubber on the rear, the car would live to swap ends.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:59 PM
Capsfan is on a distinguished road
How's that Kool-Aid taste?

911s have been known for ill-handling since the very beginning. Sublime steering, but cornering bordering on dangerous through the years. Porsche has done a great job to bring it to the level of performance it now exhibits, but without the mass electronics and super wide rubber on the rear, the car would live to swap ends.
You are referencing cars from 20-30 years ago and when compared to their competitors Porsche has always done well. I have had many Porsches, BMWs, Ferrari, Audi, AMG, etc and that is what I am comparing it to. What's your reference point?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver C2 vs M4