Car and Driver C2 vs M4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 09:12 AM
wanderfalke will become famous soon enough
Words can be parsed forever, where are the numbers coming from? I am not saying they are imaginary, just asking about the source.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:14 AM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STALKER
Steve997S,
I track all my cars, I have had a lot, and a lot of track time over the last 15 years.

You have no idea what you are talking about regarding the 991 chassis. The 991 in fact is fast because of it chassis and stability, not it's motor.

The car is extremely well balanced and you can take such liberties with it that it often amazes me how Porsche got it to work so well.

Is it the best handling car or the quickest....no, but it does everything exceptionally well.

I have no doubt a Cayman is a better handling car, but your assumptions regarding the 991 are no where near the truth. On a side note I think the new Cayman GT4 is going to be the car to have.
I'm open minded, and never said the chassis is crap. Just looking for reasons why the base 991 seems to fall short of where it should. So then you explain why it doesn't best the Cayman S on track with the same motor and brakes (and 25 more hp on tap). Yes, the 991 base weighs about 160 lbs more, which is a factor. Here's Hockenheim's short course official times for another example. Note, Hockenheim is more of a power course than Nurburgring. Far fewer corners.

991 Carrera base: 1:13.10 (350 hp)
981 Cayman S: 1:12:80 (325 hp)
997 GTS: 1:12:80 (408 hp)
BMW M4: 1:12:80 (437 hp)

So if you describe a 991 Carrera chassis as brilliant, how would you describe the 981 chassis??

Last edited by Steve997S; 07-20-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:14 AM
Weim911 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Steve997S
It's fun to dream, isn't it?

NFW can a 991 base lap that quickly. That's Audi R8 V10 and Porsche 997 Turbo S territory. Both those cars produce over 500 hp. The official base 991 lap time is 8:02. Until there's another professional effort, it stands. Most likely it's there to stay. 7 seconds slower than the Cayman S. What's not to believe about that? The Cayman charges into corners. I'm hoping the Cayman GTS clocks at least a 7:50, which is on par with a 997S.
I have to say that maybe you should check your facts. The 991 is a fast car. I know this is the 991S time but here is some validation that it isn't slow!

http://www.ausringers.com/2011/09/22/porsche-911-cuts-13-seconds-off-ring-lap-time.html

The boxster s does it in 7:58.

I couldn't find a 991 time. Please send us some link to the time you found as proof.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:18 AM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
^^
What above shows is that neither the M4 or the base 991 are that impressive, which is my MAIN point to all this dialogue!!

Old 07-20-2014, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by Weim911
I have to say that maybe you should check your facts. The 991 is a fast car. I know this is the 991S time but here is some validation that it isn't slow!

http://www.ausringers.com/2011/09/22...-lap-time.html

I couldn't find a 991 time. Please send us some link to the time you found as proof.
Yes the 991S is amazingly quick. I've pointed out again and again that it's quicker than a 997 GT3. That says quite a lot. As for ring times, the base 991 time is on the list. Keep in mind the cars are available in Germany a year earlier than the US so you'll find it listed as a '11 model. Just look for the Carrera with 350 hp. That would be it.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:27 AM
There's nothing else left to say WRT to the C2 v. M4. I've only further confirmed I have no desire to own either. Cheers!!

Old 07-20-2014, 10:44 AM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
I'm open minded, and never said the chassis is crap. Just looking for reasons why the base 991 seems to fall short of where it should. So then you explain why it doesn't best the Cayman S on track with the same motor and brakes (and 25 more hp on tap). Yes, the 991 base weighs about 160 lbs more, which is a factor. Here's Hockenheim's short course official times for another example. Note, Hockenheim is more of a power course than Nurburgring. Far fewer corners.

991 Carrera base: 1:13.10 (350 hp)
981 Cayman S: 1:12:80 (325 hp)
997 GTS: 1:12:80 (408 hp)
BMW M4: 1:12:80 (437 hp)

So if you describe a 991 Carrera chassis as brilliant, how would you describe the 981 chassis??
The 981 being smaller, lighter and mid engined will make it a more nimble car. But your previous argument was that the 991 is all about power, where you are 100% wrong. Its the chassis, suspension and brakes that make it quick around a circuit, I know this because I have first hand experience. You want a really cast 991 thats about power, go look at the 991 Turbo S.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:49 AM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Like all 911 drivers, you want to believe the 911 handles well. It should, it's a Porsche right? They do to a degree, but not compared to Porsche's mid engine offerings and many competitors. Like all 911s, they enter corners slower than they should due to the lump hanging out the back, but do power out quick. That can be fun, but it's misleading compared to cars which actually do corner much better, and are more stable entering corners. Cornering is really not the 911s forte. Never has been, and doubt it ever will be. I'm not saying it's critically bad or anything close, just not what I desire it to be. I prefer a car that enters corners quick and can carry the corner speed. The 991 is definitely an improvement over the 997 though.
Actually if you want to get really technical, the factory Porsche racers will tell you that with the 991 you trail brake extremely late into the car, almost to apex then get back on the power…chassis ain't bad to do that.

This is what the pros do, they tell you this at the Porsche advance racing school at Barber. But thats for the pros.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:32 AM
2cardinalalums is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Weim911

http://www.ausringers.com/2011/09/22...-lap-time.html

Weim, I'm not sure where Steve997S got 8:02 from, but a quick search yielded 7:44 by a non-professional (although an amazing driver) driving a base 991 PDK.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:09 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 2cardinalalums
Weim, I'm not sure where Steve997S got 8:02 from, but a quick search yielded 7:44 by a non-professional (although an amazing driver) driving a base 991 PDK. Porsche 991 Carrera 3.4 PDK 350 hp Nürburgring BTG Dag Johnsen 1 st. lap in new car - YouTube
He didnt complete the lap.
Anyway, it amuses me this kind of discussions, really dont care about Nurburgring lap times, or cornering, blah, blah. The C2 is an amazing car, the alpha dog of the Porsche line, I like the Cayman/Boxter (the M4 not so much) but I wouldnt daily drive any of those with the same pride and joy as my iconic 991.

Last edited by galion; 07-20-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:01 PM
naples991 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by galion
Anyway, it amuses me this kind of discussions, really dont care about Nurburgring lap times, or cornering, blah, blah. The C2 is an amazing car, the alpha dog of the Porsche line, I like the Cayman/Boxter (the M4 not so much) but I wouldnt daily drive any of those with the same pride and joy as my iconic 991.
Great video of a beautiful course!

Old 07-20-2014, 04:54 PM
Capsfan is on a distinguished road
Smile

Let's go to Germany and test your theory. For sure you don't have the experience or ***** to keep up with me on the Autobahns, nor twisty B roads. What Americans learn about their own driving skills when they arrive in Germany, is that their skills are about to enter a steep learning curve. What's the top speed you've achieved in your car thus far? Be honest.
That's funny, I have to go to Germany to qualify as a driver.... So I need a cayman and to be in Germany to compete? Come on now, you don't really believe that.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by Capsfan
That's funny, I have to go to Germany to qualify as a driver.... So I need a cayman and to be in Germany to compete? Come on now, you don't really believe that.
You don't need a Cayman or even a Porsche for that matter, but the vast majority of Americans think they can drive until they get somewhere which ups the ante. When you first get there, you might think sustained 100 mph is fast. Then you see German senior citizens driving 1.2 liter Opels are going that quick. Smart cars too. Driving enthusiasts will usually push forward from there and before you know, anything under 150 feels normal. I used to set my cruise on 130/140 during unlimited autobahn sections for lengthy trips and it felt perfect.

BTW, the that video was an 8:02 lap. Not sure how someone got a 7:44 out of watching that video?? Stay off drugs, kids. I'd say traffic kept him from at least matching 8 minutes. And what I saw in the video was a largely unstable car at times. The instability seemed to amuse the driver. It was sliding all over.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by galion
You don't care about cornering? Why did you buy a Porsche? Is it just a luxury car to you? Something to park in front of the local coffee shop? You might not care about the ring, but Porsche does. It's the proving ground for most all performance cars, especially Germany ones. Your car was set up and fine tuned there, and it wouldn't be the same car without the ring to bring out issues to resolve. Some of you guys need to open your brains a little more and realize there are always other perspectives which although might rub your enthusiasm and pride a little wrong, are worthy of consideration.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:23 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
You don't care about cornering? Why did you buy a Porsche? Is it just a luxury car to you? Something to park in front of the local coffee shop? You might not care about the ring, but Porsche does. It's the proving ground for most all performance cars, especially Germany ones. Your car was set up and fine tuned there, and it wouldn't be the same car without the ring to bring out issues to resolve. Some of you guys need to open your brains a little more and realize there are always other perspectives which although might rub your enthusiasm and pride a little wrong, are worthy of consideration.
What he meant is he was tired of arguing with you, yawn..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver C2 vs M4