Opinions on basic 991 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 04:11 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jmorgan911
So I bought a 2012 991S new in Feb 2012 which I built. Love the car, everything about it. Always thought I would keep it for at least 5 years and just replace it with the new model 911, whatever they name it.

Went to the dealer yesterday to schedule service and they had a 991 Turbo (not Turbo S) which had msrp of $153k. Not highly optioned: (from my memory) PDK, PDLS, parking sensors and reverse camera, clear tail-lights. No sport chrono, no sunroof.

They are willing to sell for $143k (roughly 7% discount). They offered to buy my 991S for 80k (my msrp was roughly $120k).

I wouldn't buy this turbo, probably just lease it. It's funny but I always wanted a turbo but now that the Turbo S is around, it seems the regular Turbo has been watered down. I also think they will do a mid model refresh soon so leasing makes more sense. Any thoughts?
Everyone has their own opinions on how well equipped they like their 911's.. But as much as I'd like a Turbo.. (I'm fine with a non-S as I don't know what I'd do with that much HP anyway).. it would feel like a step backwards going from my nicely specified custom build to a spartan Turbo. Sure the Turbo is a torque monster and that would be fun...

So for me if I was going to go turbo it would have to more than lightly optioned. And to be honest I'd never do any Porsche anymore that wasn't to my own build. But of course each of us value things differently.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:33 PM
eg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to behold
The Turbo isn't watered down in any sense of the word. I drove one last month when I took my car in for a service. It's an absolute monster. Now, I've never driven the Turbo S, but I can't imagine how much faster the S can feel than the "base" Turbo. Also, from what I've heard, a 7% discount on a Turbo is very good, even for a car sitting on the lot, as most dealers are stocking more Turbo S's than Turbos, and so the Turbos are more rare.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:41 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by eg991
The Turbo isn't watered down in any sense of the word. I drove one last month when I took my car in for a service. It's an absolute monster. Now, I've never driven the Turbo S, but I can't imagine how much faster the S can feel than the "base" Turbo. Also, from what I've heard, a 7% discount on a Turbo is very good, even for a car sitting on the lot, as most dealers are stocking more Turbo S's than Turbos, and so the Turbos are more rare.
Let's be honest with the OP here. They stock more Turbo S because the Turbo S is more desirable. The Turbo is "rare" because fewer people want it and therefore depreciation will be greater. Also 7% off an end of year lot car is not a good deal. If it was, it would already be sold

I'm not saying anything is wrong with the Turbo, because there isn't. They are amazing cars! I'm just trying to be unbiased to help you decide eyes wide open.

If you are serious, shop around. Who knows you might get lucky and find the exact Turbo you want! Also, if your dealer knows you are shopping around, they will be more inclined to sweeten the deal.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:40 PM
BlackSpeed will become famous soon enoughBlackSpeed will become famous soon enough
funny, I was just searching cars.com and AT yesterday looking at Turbo and Turbo S.
Trying to decide if I could live with the Turbo sh!tty too.
I've got less than 2000 mls (and 6mths old) on my c2s and already want an upgrade (what a sick puppy)
When I get time, I will test drive a Turbo and Turbo S.
I'm strongly considering doing a lease pull ahead this fall and get into something with more power.
And yes, I do need (and will use) the extra power
I am bummed if the PSE sound is gone.

OP, go drive it and let us know your thoughts

Last edited by BlackSpeed; 07-22-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:56 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Testdrive the damn thing. If it ticks all your boxes, if you feel like you get enough added value for the extra money, get it and don't listen to other people ! If it doesn't, just keep injoying your NA 991.

Watered down ? A 500+ hp 991 Turbo. Really ? While I'm a NA fan myself, who in his right mind would say a 991 Turbo is a watered down car.
99% of the time the only thing in Porsche cars that is seriously watered down, lacking in ability and performance is the driver.
Do you honestly believe you will miss the extra hp ? Does your ego really need that S on the back ? All that speculation about what car in what spec will net you more resale value is just that, speculation !

I would aim for 10% discount though, and at least 85 to high 80's for your car !

Went to the dealer yesterday to schedule service and they had a 991 Turbo (not Turbo S) which had msrp of $153k. Not highly optioned: (from my memory) PDK, PDLS, parking sensors and reverse camera, clear tail-lights. No sport chrono, no sunroof.

They are willing to sell for $143k (roughly 7% discount). They offered to buy my 991S for 80k (my msrp was roughly $120k).

Old 07-23-2014, 08:41 AM
PKumarC2 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RossL
Let's be honest with the OP here. They stock more Turbo S because the Turbo S is more desirable. The Turbo is "rare" because fewer people want it and therefore depreciation will be greater. Also 7% off an end of year lot car is not a good deal. If it was, it would already be sold

I'm not saying anything is wrong with the Turbo, because there isn't. They are amazing cars! I'm just trying to be unbiased to help you decide eyes wide open.

If you are serious, shop around. Who knows you might get lucky and find the exact Turbo you want! Also, if your dealer knows you are shopping around, they will be more inclined to sweeten the deal.

actually, dealerships were given more Turbo S allocations than Turbo allocations as well as the fact that the Turbo S was built before the Turbo.

As of RIGHT NOW, a 991 Turbo is more rare than the Turbo S in terms of production #s.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:00 AM
FrstPorsche is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PKumarC2
actually, dealerships were given more Turbo S allocations than Turbo allocations as well as the fact that the Turbo S was built before the Turbo.

As of RIGHT NOW, a 991 Turbo is more rare than the Turbo S in terms of production #s.
Well RossL's point is correct in that the reason more S allocations were given is that is the more popular model. Nothing against the "regular turbo" but it's definitely not more desirable than the S. I do have to say though that I'd get the base turbo because I don't want the ceramic brakes and center locks but by the time I option it out it pretty damn close to the S price sigh.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:17 PM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
A $3500 GIAC tune should get you very close to stock TurboS numbers on a Turbo. I love my TurboS, but a Turbo would give you 95% of the thrill for less coin, I think.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:41 PM
jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !
Tons of helpful info!

Going to test drive the car soon, I'll check back in after the drive. Seems I should get at least mid $80k for my trade in and since the 2015 are right around the corner, 10% off seems about right on a leftover 2014. Should expect more off since it's not well equipped.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:35 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Tons of helpful info!

Going to test drive the car soon, I'll check back in after the drive. Seems I should get at least mid $80k for my trade in and since the 2015 are right around the corner, 10% off seems about right on a leftover 2014. Should expect more off since it's not well equipped.
I'm reading that 2015s are already on lots of dealerships so your negotiation point is even stronger. If it were me, I'd push for 15% and let them say no or counter offer. Then work down from there.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:02 AM
jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !
So I test drove the 911 Turbo yesterday - WOW. What a car. Here are my thoughts:

Overall, it drives very similar to my 991S. Same steering feel, very similar handling, same interior buttons (for the most part), same PCM buttons, you get it.

What felt MUCH different was the amount of torque and power delivery. There is immediate power anytime, any speed. No hesitation at low rpm's, no lugging. Just immediate breathtaking power. And lots of it. So not only is there a big difference tooling around town in low to medium revs, there's enormous power at WOT.

To put things in perspective, I've previously owned a 996TT with the X50 package, and a C6 Z06. Both cars are monsters. However, this 991TT is much MUCH more refined than either. Power delivery is immediate and intense. Not as visceral as the Z06, and not as jittery as the 996TT. Very very impressed. Somehow it took the strengths of each car and added some modern tech.

However, it is a 2014. The 2015's are already hitting dealer lots, so it's essentially a model year old already. It doesn't have a sunroof, missing a few options I would have liked - most importantly sport chrono. So overall a poorly equipped car.

So now the dilemma. I built my 991S the way I wanted. It is a dream car in every imaginable way, for me at least. Would I take the turbo? Hell yeah, but only if it's a deal. I agree with much that's been said. I think a fair price is 15% off msrp. A quick search of the used car market shows low mileage 911S, well equipped like mine, selling for $85-90k.

If the dealer can get the numbers to work out - great! If not, I still get to drive my dream car home

Old 07-29-2014, 07:23 AM
I agree. The only way you pull the trigger on this one is for a once in a lifetime deal. The acceleration feeling will wear off after a few months and some of the details missing on the turbo will probably leave you in the same boat a year from now looking at other turbos with the options you want. Boy do the love of cars costs us a lot of money. you only live once though. Haha

Old 07-29-2014, 07:29 AM
If try for 15 off but talking to some friends that work for a dealer anything over about 12% they are losing money on the car. It's worth a shot but doubtful. Should be no prob getting 10 but they would have to be desperate and be paying lot interest on the car to let it go for 15. Now if they thought they would make good money on your trade that's a factor but just an offset to you not in your favor. Good luck either way.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:51 AM
I agree, 15% sounds steep but my understanding is that someone already placed a deposit on the car and backed out. So there's some money there. And something about trunk money.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:40 PM
enzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond repute
I agree, 15% sounds steep but my understanding is that someone already placed a deposit on the car and backed out. So there's some money there. And something about trunk money.
What that car is really missing is launch control. Sunroofs are nice, and I have one in my TT, but I am not sure I would find myself saying that I really wish I had a sunroof if my car didn't have one. No doubt launch control is f'n awesome. But you don't need it to get ahead of most cars at a traffic light. Nor are there many cars that will keep up with a TT missing launch control. It matters at the strip. If you want impressive time slips, that's where you will miss sport chrono. So if you can score a sweet deal and do not really hit the strip, go for it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinions on basic 991 Turbo