Opinions on basic 991 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 09:35 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by enzom

What that car is really missing is launch control. Sunroofs are nice, and I have one in my TT, but I am not sure I would find myself saying that I really wish I had a sunroof if my car didn't have one. No doubt launch control is f'n awesome. But you don't need it to get ahead of most cars at a traffic light. Nor are there many cars that will keep up with a TT missing launch control. It matters at the strip. If you want impressive time slips, that's where you will miss sport chrono. So if you can score a sweet deal and do not really hit the strip, go for it.
Can you get the sport chrono software installed after the fact? Sure you miss the timer but the sw is more important.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:13 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
What a great thread !! I kept reading ahead to see if you bought it and havea feeling I am too late . If you didn't buy it I would insist on a Turbo S or at least bulding the base Turbo and comparing the numbers .

I do feel the Turbo is the ideal platform for the 991 . I love my modded 997 Turbo but if I ever make it into a 991 I'd want it to be a Turbo S .

As you stated the power and torque is like a sledgehammer . The throttle is less precise. The exhaust sound is more quiet as the turbo impellars homogenize the sound wave . But at speed it feels like low level flying !!

The problem with the Turbo is that it does attract attention , has lower front end ground clearance (new ones have 3 settings) , and can create a bit of worry . when i bought mjy car i was absolutely neurotic about parking it . A door ding in a 190K car can happen in any average parking lot and most 911 Turbo owners are split on this . Some worry while others just treat it as any other car .

I keep looking at my local dealership's inventory and they do have 2015 cars already listed . Although they have a 2014 dark blue metallic with espresso/conac that I keep looking at !! It's gorgeous .. lol !! Sigh .. good luck in the decision !!

Last edited by yrralis1; 07-29-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:48 AM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
A couple of options here. First of all I think the BEST bet is to find out what the TRUNK Money deal is. For those of you that dont know Truck money (IS RARIFIED AIR AT PORSCHE) is money the manufacturer gives back to the dealer on a car that isnt selling.
BMW has it alot because they arent Porsche. The dealer can keep it and spend in on Ads, they can split it with you or let you have it all which is what you should try for. That would really sweeten the deal. ALso if Trunk money is on that car then 7% is a HORRIBLE deal.
You should be able to get AT LEAST 10% I would think.
I have only heard of this once at Porsche and thats when they got caught with their pants down in the 2008/2009 credit crash. I got $10,000 back on my 2009 C2S. On the Turbo the trunk money should be $15k or MORE. But I think on paper even with say $20K trunk money on the Turbo you are going to lose $40K on yours and then cough up another $40K for the turbo.

Now if that doesnt work out for you I suggest buying the Carrera S power kit and having it installed at your dealer, its one helluva PUNCH! Its $17K from Porsche and alot of people are going to say FU@K that $17K for 30 hp LOL!!!! No its not 30 its more thatn that its got to be 50 or more. I have a new 2014 50th with the pwrkit and just broke in and HANG ON SWEET MARY!!!! From 5000 to redline. Try to find one and drive it. Essentially you are going to get 9/10ths of a GT3 with all the comforts of the car YOU DESIGNED. See next post.

Last edited by OldGuy; 07-30-2014 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:58 AM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Power Kit pricing

Jmorgan, TRY to get a ride in a pwr kit car. Its WAY more than I EVERY THOUGHT it would be.
Now pricing. Porsche has about $2500 built into the price but you get the PSE thrown in as well as sport chrono, if you didnt get that already. But you SHOULD be able to get lower because your dealer is going to get you on labor. SO you (from what I have read) be able to get out the door for $20K with your warranty and all the drive-ability and reliability of your Carrera. So Now instead of Dropping $40K in depreciation on YOUR car, and then $60k MORE or so on the TURBO, you will have one HELLUVA CAR that will be faster than you ever will need and believe me I just drove a 2015 Turbo S in Boise first week of July and thats fast, but the power kit isnt THAT much slower, and I think you will enjoy it and keep around $80 K in your pocket on paper.

JUST AN OPTION and a WELL WORTH IT OPTION!!!

Old 07-30-2014, 01:21 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Old Guy -- turbo badge on a 15 car holds more value than an dealer installed powerkit on a 12 car . just my .02

Old 07-30-2014, 01:55 AM
First of all its not a 15 turbo he is talking about. He is talking about the 14 that MAY have trunk money on it.
Secondly I think the only interest in value the OP has is not losing TOO much money. I think he wants more performance. And no matter how you cut it, $20k reinvested in his car is going to save him about $80k over all, AND give him the performance he wants. I just saw a study on the 991 powerkit vs the 997 power kit and its WAY more sophisticated AND extensive. There is porting and polishing. The 991 kit is good enough that it launched a Grand Am racing team by people who were GOING to buy GT3s and race them. When they looked at the competitive value versus the 30 or 50K more per vehicle (given how hot the GT3s are) they went with the power kit.
I have owned a turbo, and 2 GT3s and this power kit is the most surprising amount of power I have felt. This car would demolish my 997 GT3.

Now lets talk about that so called badge/Value. A TT with out SPort chrono is not going to have any attractive resale. Who would want a sport chrono less TT? Why would Porsche EVEN build one? 997.2 TTS's resale is dropping like a rock right now. I dont know why. But when I bought my 50th 991 it came down to that a 2011 TTS and a Jag Ftype coupe. The 997.2 TTS was almost $40K less than my 991 with only 8,000 miles on it. What do you think a 997.2 TT is worth? NOW look at this 2014 TT with NO Sport Chrono with MAY have trunk money which is a way to sell a car that just wont sell. There is a reason that TT is still on the lot for a year.

The OPs car has already taken the big depreciation hit and the $20k kit wont add a whole lot but its not going to depreciate like that TT is. The Kit WILL give him the performance he wants especially given the TT has no sport chrono which takes away alot of the performance from the turbo including Launch control.

If the OP goes for a 2015 which I dont think he will do then my whole position goes away and youre correct

Old 07-30-2014, 08:29 AM
jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !
So went to the dealer and worked out some numbers. Nothing groundbreaking, I don't think it's a steal. Its prob a good deal if someone was actively looking for a turbo, but for someone like me who has a "new" car and just stumbled upon this car at the dealer, I agree with whats been said. No reason to lose over $40k on my car to get into a lease. Especially a 2014 which is poorly equipped. Kinda stinks because I was expecting a much better deal given the factors.

What's most interesting is the revelation that I prefer my nicely equipped 991S over a poorly equipped 991TT, especially since the TT is my dream car. That's a testament to how good the 991S really is! Maybe if the dealer really made the numbers favorable things would be different, but I think I'll keep my 991S a few more years and jump into a TT or TTS when the time (and deal) is right

Old 07-30-2014, 09:06 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 991TurboS
A $3500 GIAC tune should get you very close to stock TurboS numbers on a Turbo. I love my TurboS, but a Turbo would give you 95% of the thrill for less coin, I think.
That $3,500 tune will most likely void your engine warranty on your $160,000 Turbo.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:17 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GS997S
That $3,500 tune will most likely void your engine warranty on your $160,000 Turbo.
Champion Motorsport offers a supplemental warranty with GIAC software.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:42 PM
shaytun will become famous soon enoughshaytun will become famous soon enough
Question for people who've driven the C2/4S and a Turbo (non-S or S)...
The Turbo seems to get praise by journalists for it's amazing acceleration and effortless performance, but also demerits for a lack of connectivity to the driver. I personally can't attest to it because I've never driven one and it is out of my budget.
Do others agree? How does the exhaust sound compared to the PSE? I haven't heard a loud 991 Turbo yet. How does it feel compared to a 991S.
Up to the 993, the Turbo was the ultimate 911. Even up to the 997, I loved it, especially given it came with a MT. Now, wrongly so or not, it doesn't have the "street credibility" it once had. That goes to the GT3 and other GT models. That said, I'm sure it's amazing. Curious what others' have experienced with it.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:38 PM
enzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shaytun
Question for people who've driven the C2/4S and a Turbo (non-S or S)...
The Turbo seems to get praise by journalists for it's amazing acceleration and effortless performance, but also demerits for a lack of connectivity to the driver. I personally can't attest to it because I've never driven one and it is out of my budget.
Do others agree? How does the exhaust sound compared to the PSE? I haven't heard a loud 991 Turbo yet. How does it feel compared to a 991S.
Up to the 993, the Turbo was the ultimate 911. Even up to the 997, I loved it, especially given it came with a MT. Now, wrongly so or not, it doesn't have the "street credibility" it once had. That goes to the GT3 and other GT models. That said, I'm sure it's amazing. Curious what others' have experienced with it.
Traded in my 2013 C2S with PSE and PDK last week for a 2015 TT. Many differences. TT is insanely fast and torquey as soon as you give it some throttle. The acceleration is sick. C2S likes and needs to get some revs before it pulls. Turbo feels a bit more isolated, like a GT car. But I am not sure how much of that is based on the fact that the TT is AWD, and my C2S was not. Better comparison would be a 4S.

TT is much quieter. Great for when you want quiet -which for me is most of the time because I take many calls from the car. The TT sounds great and muscular when you wind it out, but not as great as the PSE sounded. My Europipe exhaust is going on tomorrow, so I suspect that it will sound much closer to my C2S when I am on it.

Steering of the TT seems a bit less connected to the road, but again, not sure if that is because the front wheels are actually part of the drivetrain now. Have not driven the TT hard in corners to fairly compare grip, but I have no doubt it will stick. C2S feels more tossable.

Even with the differences, the TT to me is a much more rewarding car. Just so powerful. I am glad I took the jump.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:54 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Austin@GIAC
Champion Motorsport offers a supplemental warranty with GIAC software.
Thanks. Is the cost of the warranty included with the cost of the software? What does it cover, and I guess equally important, what does it not cover?

Old 07-30-2014, 06:51 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jmorgan911
So went to the dealer and worked out some numbers. Nothing groundbreaking, I don't think it's a steal. Its prob a good deal if someone was actively looking for a turbo, but for someone like me who has a "new" car and just stumbled upon this car at the dealer, I agree with whats been said. No reason to lose over $40k on my car to get into a lease. Especially a 2014 which is poorly equipped. Kinda stinks because I was expecting a much better deal given the factors.

What's most interesting is the revelation that I prefer my nicely equipped 991S over a poorly equipped 991TT, especially since the TT is my dream car. That's a testament to how good the 991S really is! Maybe if the dealer really made the numbers favorable things would be different, but I think I'll keep my 991S a few more years and jump into a TT or TTS when the time (and deal) is right
A Turbo without Sport Chrono is a buyer beware to me. You would have had a very difficult time selling a Turbo without launch control. As others have mentioned, the option should be standard but Porsche needs to make their 30+% on their cars :/

Old 07-30-2014, 07:39 PM
jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RossL
A Turbo without Sport Chrono is a buyer beware to me. You would have had a very difficult time selling a Turbo without launch control. As others have mentioned, the option should be standard but Porsche needs to make their 30+% on their cars :/
Absolutey agree. I felt like without sport chrono the car "felt" cheaper, relatively speaking of course. That's why I was expecting a better deal. but alas it wasn't meant to be.

Was told by the dealer that another local potential buyer saw this thread and is interested in the car. Best of luck to the buyer! It's an awesome car, enjoy. If it still smells like burning cosmoline and tire rubber, I apologize lol