Why Porsche's are expensive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 08:34 AM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 911cv
How long is your "straight line?" The C2S has a top speed of 188 and the S7 has a top speed of 155.
Usually people mean 1/4 mile. Top speed is stupid and useless. No one is doing that. Or I should say 99% isn't doing that. Same with track times. 99% isn't doing that either.

I really only care about road performance and I think porsche is the best at that. People who care about 0-60, 1/4, track times need to get out more. I couldn't tell the difference between a turbo 2.8 time and a zr1 3.5 time. It's all meaningless really to your butt.

Last edited by speedsterr; 07-25-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:51 AM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by speedsterr
Usually people mean 1/4 mile. Top speed is stupid and useless. No one is doing that. Or I should say 99% isn't doing that. Same with track times. 99% isn't doing that either. I really only care about road performance and I think porsche is the best at that. People who care about 0-60, 1/4, track times need to get out more. I couldn't the difference between a turbo 2.8 time and a zr1 3.5 time. It's all meaningless really to your butt.
I was actually being sarcastic. You helped prove my point about statistics being meaningless...1/4 mile, top speed, Nurburing time, etc is all completely meaningless to the average driver (e.g. me). Every car wins in some sort of category. If the S7 beats the C2S in a straight line the C2S will eventually catch up.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:53 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MikeL
The S7 will beat a 991 c2 or c2s in a straight line. I have an S6 and theres no way hell a C2 or C2S can beat me from a stop or roll/fwy speeds etc. anyone who says otherwise, ill put my money where my mouth is and ill race you for pinks. in the real world, the way a turbo car makes its power is different than n/a cars. given 2 cars with equal horse power and on paper #'s. in the real world the turbo car will always win.
Gee Fonzi, I'm not sure I really want your the pink for an S6.. But I'll ask Potsi if he is interested in it.. Maybe we can race friday night and meet at Arnolds..

Geez, what a troll...

Old 07-25-2014, 04:38 PM
MikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by frank69m
Ya ya ya. Good luck with your engine that will last you 50k.

If that is the case, I'll buy a Civic, upgrade the exhaust, air induction system, turbo, nitrious etc, and still blow your S7 away and at a cheaper price.
doesn't matter, I don't plan on keeping for more than a year, it will never see that mileage and wont be my problem anymore. and how can you compare a civic, the audi still costs $80-90K, comparing to a C2 or C2S its not that far off in price, you act like you have a turbo s.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:12 PM
MikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by scatkins
Gee Fonzi, I'm not sure I really want your the pink for an S6.. But I'll ask Potsi if he is interested in it.. Maybe we can race friday night and meet at Arnolds..

Geez, what a troll...

ok im such a troll for saying a stock s6/7 wont get destroyed by a 991 or S. i was just replying to the other guys post saying its not a comparison. i used to have a 6/gt3 and driven the current 991/s/turbo, etc. yes, they're great cars but some of you guys act like you're driving a unicorn super car.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:17 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
ok im such a troll for saying a stock s6/7 wont get destroyed by a 991 or S. i was just replying to the other guys post saying its not a comparison. i used to have a 6/gt3 and driven the current 991/s/turbo, etc. yes, they're great cars but some of you guys act like you're driving a unicorn super car.
No that doesn't make you a troll.. It makes you obnoxious and childish. Trying to one-up and then self validating with with the laughable "I'll race for Pinks". Give me a break... how old are you? 15?

Discussing and debating are fine.. Ok your S6 or whatever it is you have is fast, got it..You're the man! But here is a hint... no one really cares or listens (other than yourself) when you are a d*ck..

Personally, I've owned several and like Audi's on a lot of different levels and admittedly they get dissed a lot as compared to Merc and BMWs in the Porsche forums.. But why bother arguing in a 991 forum? No one cares if I'm right and they are wrong..

What makes you a Troll is going into a forum where you admittedly don't feel a part of ("you guys seem to think you have unicorn super cars") and forcefully expressing your expert opinion which apparently comes from your your previous experience with a 8 or 9 year old model GT3.

Actually I didn't hear anyone in the thread touting the 991's as unicorns or supercars. Sounds more like a chip on your shoulder. Merely a discussion which occurs about balance or total package of the car in general as opposed to individual raw #'s such as 0-60, HP, top speed, ring times .. ie "the total package"... Which is typically why many of us are 991 as well as 911 in general... fans...

Of course there is going to be a bias in a 991 forum.. duh.. Just like there is a bias in corvette, Jag, Ferrari, BMW or any other targeted enthusiast forum.. Big surprise,,, 991 owners who pay $100K+ for a car and then spend a little time in the forum tend to have a bias.. I'm utterly shocked that would happen in a 991 enthusiast forum.

Last edited by scatkins; 07-25-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:45 AM
Capsfan is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dilligaf
Guessing you must have a really well tuned S6 Audi website only shows a 0-60 in 4.5 sec and a quarter around 13 sec for both the S6 and S7 so I am guess you are well tuned as a 911s is between 3.9-4.0 depending on transimittion and around a 12.2 quarter which is not bad for something with only 400 HP and not built for a dragrace. I am just giving what is available, so if you are stock, you may not want to take that race.
I traded my 13' s6 on my 991s so I have firsthand experience. The S6 is very fast, power is under rated and so are mnfr performance claims. Whether from a dead stop or rolling not many cars can touch it. HOWEVER, the c2s is also very quick, more power than you will ever need on public roads and as an overall drivers car is hands down as good or better than anything out there at any price range. I doubt there is a single person that has bought a Porsche who's biggest concern is 0-60, so who cares?

I will say that driving my S6 was boring although a nice family/business car. Driving the porsche is fun, I can't wait to jump in it and take a run. In my view that is what it is about.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:27 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
The S7 will beat a 991 c2 or c2s in a straight line. I have an S6 and theres no way hell a C2 or C2S can beat me from a stop or roll/fwy speeds etc. anyone who says otherwise, ill put my money where my mouth is and ill race you for pinks.
An S7 can beat me in my 991 C2 any day every day in a straight line. But I still drive a gorgeous car with magnificent dna. I still enjoy washing my car, caressing the sensual contours in the proces. I still enjoy 50 year of development and racing heritage that shines through in the driving experience every time I take the wheel.

What can a S7 do beyond merely being faster in a straight line (which defines a muscle car, not a sportscar like a 991) ?

Old 07-28-2014, 10:12 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold

Not sure why all the foregoing comments about which car is fastest? The article was about spending $200m at Weissach. For your information, the Engineers at Weissach do many, many millions of Euros in engineering contracting work for virtually every Automotive group in Europe! Not just for the VW group.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by Snowczar

Not sure why all the foregoing comments about which car is fastest? The article was about spending $200m at Weissach. For your information, the Engineers at Weissach do many, many millions of Euros in engineering contracting work for virtually every Automotive group in Europe! Not just for the VW group.
Have no clue why my thread got hijacked, The reference was simply relative to Porsche investment..

But, never ceases to amaze me how folks want to endlessly argue the same tired subjects over and over, although the trolls seem to be good at fanning the embers...

Old 07-30-2014, 01:34 AM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
First of all reinvestment in your own company does not make your product more expensive. I own my own engineering business making UAVs. I was a Naval Systems engineer and I found out some of the UAVs we were using were wasting taxpayers dollars. Because the Navy had to buy them from someone else. Investing in yourself makes you more competitive and quicker in getting products out and just a better company over all. Like Snocarz says Porsche is first and foremost an ENGINEERING company that sells cars. They are not a car company that sells engineering time. I have computer products and equipment designed by
The work that Porsche is doing at its new facilities would have to be done SOMEWHERE, wether they rent Windtunnel time from someone else or what ever. Renting those types of facilities make it MORE that if they had their own. They have to GO to where the facilities are, you have to pay for travel for your people per diem hotels yada yada.
This investments will make Porsche LESS expensive AND a better product.
As far as walking all over Porsches thats just bull crap. Head2Head just did a comparison for the Worlds best drivers car they had a new Stingray, a Ferrari 458 and a lowly Carrera 4S. The Porsche won best drivers car. I just bought a new 991. I test drove so many different cars and I am sorry but there is no substitute! They may have more power, vette, jag Ftype coupe, and others and they just arent up to task.
And HOW do you put a Mustang in with a porsche? Seriously?
Dont use car and driver as your source. I was thinking of buying a Lexus for my wife A GS300 and Car and Driver did a comparison test with the Lexus and some others like Cadillac and it just BURNS them that a American car is not better. IN that test the Lexus was better in EVERY performance category and the way the Cadillac stayed up was in subjective crap like Rear seat space, Head room and the winning margin for the Caddy in that particular test was glove box size. SO please dont use car and driver as your source of data. Its just not a great source for studying Porsches.

Last edited by OldGuy; 07-30-2014 at 01:38 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by OldGuy
First of all reinvestment in your own company does not make your product more expensive. I own my own engineering business making UAVs. I was a Naval Systems engineer and I found out some of the UAVs we were using were wasting taxpayers dollars. Because the Navy had to buy them from someone else. Investing in yourself makes you more competitive and quicker in getting products out and just a better company over all. Like Snocarz says Porsche is first and foremost an ENGINEERING company that sells cars. They are not a car company that sells engineering time. I have computer products and equipment designed by
The work that Porsche is doing at its new facilities would have to be done SOMEWHERE, wether they rent Windtunnel time from someone else or what ever. Renting those types of facilities make it MORE that if they had their own. They have to GO to where the facilities are, you have to pay for travel for your people per diem hotels yada yada.
This investments will make Porsche LESS expensive AND a better product.
As far as walking all over Porsches thats just bull crap. Head2Head just did a comparison for the Worlds best drivers car they had a new Stingray, a Ferrari 458 and a lowly Carrera 4S. The Porsche won best drivers car. I just bought a new 991. I test drove so many different cars and I am sorry but there is no substitute! They may have more power, vette, jag Ftype coupe, and others and they just arent up to task.
And HOW do you put a Mustang in with a porsche? Seriously?
Dont use car and driver as your source. I was thinking of buying a Lexus for my wife A GS300 and Car and Driver did a comparison test with the Lexus and some others like Cadillac and it just BURNS them that a American car is not better. IN that test the Lexus was better in EVERY performance category and the way the Cadillac stayed up was in subjective crap like Rear seat space, Head room and the winning margin for the Caddy in that particular test was glove box size. SO please dont use car and driver as your source of data. Its just not a great source for studying Porsches.
I would agree. Actually the thread title was tongue and cheek. The reality of it is, any engineering based company that creates products needs to spend a lot of capital just continue to innovate, be more efficient and move forward. Otherwise things quickly stagnate.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:47 PM
Grunty will become famous soon enough
They shoulda just bought a Miata.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:02 PM
tx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of light
I really wish I had bought the Ferrari GTO instead of the Pontiac GTO except the Pontiac accelerated faster according to Car and Driver.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:33 PM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
TX wrote:
I really wish I had bought the Ferrari GTO instead of the Pontiac GTO except the Pontiac accelerated faster according to Car and Driver.
Tex I am from Dallas, but yea, I bougt a Ford Fiesta instead of a GT3 because the glove box was bigger. MT said deep in the corners your extra Red bull will hit the small glove box corner and pop in the GT3. Luckily the Fiesta is so slow the Red Bull doesnt MOVE in a corner so I dont have to worry about it. Great buy. Great Mag MT!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why Porsche's are expensive