Which color tree is the best air freshener?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 12:21 AM
moje911 is on a distinguished road
Which color tree is the best air freshener?

Really though, after months of reading posts that interest me I've picked up a few pointers and still have a few questions that I hope you can share experiences on.

We are finally closing on our weekend (track) house and I'm getting excited about lining up all my ducks so I can hit the ground running.

I have a 991/50 X51 that will become a member at Lime Rock Drivers Club so I am excited about all the new projects I will have around cars and driving: garage setup, car setup, maintenance and detailing.
I've always had an affinity to motor vehicles and tracks, just going from motorcycles to cars after enjoying a Skip Barber Advanced Driving class.
I want to enjoy driving my cars to their potential, elevate mine, take care of them and tinker a bit (as close to spec) as much as one can in a home garage without being a master mechanic.

First dilemma is the type of lift to get, underbody or drive-on for both accessibility and storage. I'd love to keep the load off the tires during the Winters but like the simplicity of the drive-ons. Looking at the Bendpak HD-7W or MaxJax.

Get car track ready
The 911 will primarily be used to drive to/on/from track that is 20 miles away on rural roads. I don't plan to race so much as drive a solid line for time.

Starting off should I go through the stock rotors and pads with high temp fluid before getting a set for the track, or just do it right away with the best combo of rotor, pads and fluid: Girodisc/Pagid and Motul?

Wheel/tire combo
OEM is 20" 245/35 305/30, plan to downsize wheel to 19's with OEM +7 ET (to push wheels out a bit), with the same sized/ratio tires for 19's. Please chime in on theory for sizing and brands. I don't care to spend a lot on track wheels so I was looking at OZs from tirerack with Proxes rubber.

Has anyone figured out the mesh for the three grilles yet, the third being the center for X51? Would like a decent DIY method to keep track rubber out of grilles.

I have clear bra on the front, fenders and hood. Also have some cans of clear plastidip that I was going to put on for extra protection. How to prep clearbra and paint before dippin' or generally care for clearbra for a paint-like finish.

Has anyone removed the rear seats?

For closed car driving, full face or open face helmets? For my motorcycles my head was most comfortable in Shoei, basically a wider face, size L - what does that equate to for driving - Bell, Sparco, Simpson? Don't anticipate needing radio or water, but don't want to get hot.

At what point do we need tow brackets mounted?

(Similar questions for a GT3, Cayman and an M4)

Old 07-25-2014, 05:24 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Pink. Yeah, I know you're saying, Green is the one, but trust me, it's Pink.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:08 AM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
I vote yellow, love the vanilla scent.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:23 AM
John's 991 is on a distinguished road
My recommendations would be to wear out the stock pads and replace them with more track oriented versions then. You can probably put up with the squeaking easy enough. I would go with upgraded fluid as soon as you got a soft pedal and the brakes needed bleeding anyway, or with the new pads. The stock rotors in my experience seem fine but there are upgraded versions if you want them.

If you want to save on tires, use up the Pirellis then switch to an aggressive street tire or something like the Michelin Sport Cup 2 or an R compound if you wish, assuming you are not driving around all over the place on them. A second set of wheels is the way to go in that case.

I prefer a full face helmet in case the air bag goes off something else bad happens. More protection and I don't find them uncomfortable.

Your car will come with one tow hook and you can get more for about $100 I think. The after market ones are nicer. Never hurts to have one installed in case you have an off.

Enjoy! They are great fun to drive on track.