So you placed an order...and kept changing it!

Old 07-28-2014, 02:50 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Haku
Good points and thanks for the reply. I, like most of us, would like to think that we are fair customers and certainly do not intend to be a pain to anyone. I should mention that my dealer is extremely sympathetic and has never made me feel uncomfortable with the myriad of changes I've made. Although I've got long standing relationship with them I am respectful of their involvement and time. The issue is as much to do about ones own psyche and how we come to certain decisions. Many of the changes to my GT3 order have been the result of either my first hand experience from recently driving a friends GT3, or from other owners fairly recent experiences. As you know there have been very few cars available from which to gain adequate information.
I do think I have now refined my spec to a point at which I'm very comfortable with.
Yeah, I think if one "exercises" their dealer a little but always places the order it is reasonable. The real turds are the guys who bail out on their order when after months of churning they find another dealer that will give them 0.5% lower.

And yeah, when you get to the less common 911's that don't sit on lots ... simply being able to experience them first hand before ordering is more difficult..

In reality each dealer seems to have a guy who is dedicated to doing the configurations and managing them with Porsche.. The sales guy just passes the info along to him when we make changes..

To be fair, we are talking about a very expensive, and high margin product so we expect a bit more accommodation than Walmart.

Last edited by scatkins; 07-28-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:20 PM
naples991 is on a distinguished road
Ha I ordered a 981S after aggravating over the build for months then bought a 911 from dealer inventory after the 981 arrived

Old 07-28-2014, 11:15 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
This has happened to me repeatedly. With every Porsche I've spec'd out and ordered I end up amending it over and over again util the day its locked (which is a huge relief). For my GT3 I'm on my 8th iteration! This isn't just where I'm playing around on the configurator, it's where I've told my dealer to change the order and send my an official confirmation! I have a great relationship with my dealer buy man, I'm pushing it!

So is it just me?..... please tell me there are others out there who are equal to...or preferably worse than me!
I went through a gazillion configurations on my Macan Turbo and even thought I nailed it perfectly when it locked . My car arrived a month ago and now i wish I had selected 3 zone climate .

If you actually got it right in 8 tries than that's what it took . I cant wait to read more on the car over time .

Old 08-03-2014, 03:59 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
This has happened to me repeatedly. With every Porsche I've spec'd out and ordered I end up amending it over and over again util the day its locked (which is a huge relief). For my GT3 I'm on my 8th iteration! This isn't just where I'm playing around on the configurator, it's where I've told my dealer to change the order and send my an official confirmation! I have a great relationship with my dealer buy man, I'm pushing it!

So is it just me?..... please tell me there are others out there who are equal to...or preferably worse than me!
Hey Haku - I went back and started counting mine. I did go beyond 8 marginally 1 more than you, to 9... and that's also changes to the dealer !!!

1. Added sunroof
2. Added ext paint package
3. Added rear tunnel stitching
4. Added extended leather dashboard & key pouch in Espresso leather
5. Added illuminated door sills
6. Removed center arm rest logo / kept seat headrest crests
7. Added steering column in leather
8. Added rear view mirror in leather
9. Added GT Silver colored key fob

How's your order coming along? Locked yet??

Old 08-03-2014, 06:27 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fester
Hey Haku - I went back and started counting mine. I did go beyond 8 marginally 1 more than you, to 9... and that's also changes to the dealer !!!

1. Added sunroof
2. Added ext paint package
3. Added rear tunnel stitching
4. Added extended leather dashboard & key pouch in Espresso leather
5. Added illuminated door sills
6. Removed center arm rest logo / kept seat headrest crests
7. Added steering column in leather
8. Added rear view mirror in leather
9. Added GT Silver colored key fob

How's your order coming along? Locked yet??
Gosh Fester! Yours was quite a palaver!
After the changes last I requested last Monday I've had no reason to change anything! The dealer is surprised and so am I! Thankfully my build dates haven't changed for the worse and all is looking good. In fact chances are that the build may even come forward by a week or two. I have to say I'm getting excited about the whole thing.

Btw, I had one final gawp at the pics you posted when you got your GT Silver beauty. As a result you've ended up costing me a few shekels more as I decided to drop Rhodium and opt for GT Silver! I hope it looks as good as yours on the GT3.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:02 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Checked out your config. Awesome specs!!!

Kudos (and points) on getting the "right" silver

Old 08-03-2014, 09:11 PM
BCS14 will become famous soon enough
This was my second ordered 911, the first being a 2005 997S.

I knew exactly what I wanted this time around. And stuck to my original build and have had no regrets. Except one. And that was wheel choice. But that's an easy fix, if you ignore the hit on your wallet.

I ordered the car with the no-cost Carrera S wheels. Then after realizing how much a PITA it is to keep them clean, I swapped them out for the Sport Technos, which was VERY expensive to do after the fact, but I'm happy with the results now.

So yeah, all options otherwise are exactly what I wanted when I ordered. And I wouldn't change a thing, except for....yeah that.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:39 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I went through a gazillion configurations on my Macan Turbo and even thought I nailed it perfectly when it locked . My car arrived a month ago and now i wish I had selected 3 zone climate .

If you actually got it right in 8 tries than that's what it took . I cant wait to read more on the car over time .
Y, congratulations on the Macan Turbo. I hope you're happy with it. I test drove one the other week and was super impressed with everything about it. For our purposes, I hope it had a teeny bit more rear legroom...just a couple of inches. I've decided to wait for the diesel version and then replace our Q5 with it. Your turbo is I'm sure awesome. Enjoy!

Originally Posted by Fester
Checked out your config. Awesome specs!!!

Kudos (and points) on getting the "right" silver
Fester, thank you. I know its a bit of an extravagance and some would think it better to spend the $3k that GT Silver costs on other options. I wanted a color that is super easy on maintenance and silver is just about it. The problem is that I've been spoilt by Platinum Silver and therefore a Rhodium just doesn't do it for me. It's blueish hue is too cold for me. So after a bit of head scratching and then looking at your GT silver pics I was sold. The car should look like the attached pic sans the ceramics.

Originally Posted by BCS14
This was my second ordered 911, the first being a 2005 997S.

I knew exactly what I wanted this time around. And stuck to my original build and have had no regrets. Except one. And that was wheel choice. But that's an easy fix, if you ignore the hit on your wallet.

I ordered the car with the no-cost Carrera S wheels. Then after realizing how much a PITA it is to keep them clean, I swapped them out for the Sport Technos, which was VERY expensive to do after the fact, but I'm happy with the results now.

So yeah, all options otherwise are exactly what I wanted when I ordered. And I wouldn't change a thing, except for....yeah that.
Yikes! The wheel changes are costly. Quite a few of my 911's have been ordered to spec. On my previous 991 S it took many iterations and there were no regrets that made me unhappy with the result. Having said that, in hindsight I would have chosen the 18 way seats. With the current GT3 my priority is to combine practicality and comfort in what is predominantly a performance package. Attempting to have the best of all worlds! Let's see how well I do.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	398323  
Old 08-04-2014, 10:31 AM
Targa2015 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by scatkins
Yeah it is hard. But by the same point I try not to be a "bad customer" and and waste other peoples time. I certainly don't like when others waste my time.. Then again, as a sales organization a certain amount of effort on their part is required on a high end car with a lot of commission is reasonable. But then again, I'd hate to be the "dreaded" customer. (Be honest with yourself, you know who you are.. ) I try to do my research and get to the point so when I finally place the order that I know pretty much what I want. On my 14 C2S I spent about 3 or 4 months deciding the details before placing my order. I made a couple of minor adds before the lock date but that was about it. I suspect a lot of folks want to just get the order placed so they can get their timeline going... it is understandable.. But to me doing the background, spending the time researching and figuring it out is a lot of the fun.. I think stressing once I place the order I like to relax and stop worrying about it. But of course we are all different.
+1

I kid you not that I built a dozen iterations only to have a. Targa come out and change from a 4s cab to a targa 4s and build a dozen more.

I have not mentioned I started the process 18 mos ago....don't ask

Nonetheless I agree that at building way ahead is the way to go then order. I just added spacers after I ordered so as someone with OCPD......obsessive compulsive Porsche disorder I did well.

Good luck!!

Old 08-04-2014, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by Targa2015
+1

I kid you not that I built a dozen iterations .....
I have not mentioned I started the process 18 mos ago....don't ask

Good luck!!
Cripes!
You fellows are making me feel a whole lot better about my affliction!