Glass roof problem. Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 09:09 AM
slick911 has a spectacular aura aboutslick911 has a spectacular aura about
Glass roof problem. Anyone else?

My friend just took delivery of his custom ordered 2015 C2 last week. Two days off the lot the glass roof quit working. No tilt or sliding. Just silent. Shade works though. He took it in and dealer said it just needs to re initialize the computer again. According to dealer, sometimes it needs a second wake up from the long boat ride to the port of SoCal. Well, two more days after the "re initialization" it quit working again. What gives? Anyone else having this issue? I feel bad because I sort of influenced him into Pcars.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:29 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
I haven't heard of any glass roof problems, at least not enough to remember on this forum... but i am sure others will chime-in if they know of anything similar.

Root cause really depends on where the problem manifests... Doesn't sound like it, but consider is it the motor, or is it the software that controls the motor? Any noise at all from the motor when attempting to open (I would listen for any whirring, clicks, scraping sounds), or is it completely silent? I am not up on the drive system for P-car roofs, but it could be that the cabling that moves the panel isn't engaged, or is jamming, or worst case the motor is simply dead. The fact that your friend had the SW reloaded and it worked for a period of time before again stopping does sound more like a SW or related issue. And it's not an electrical issue? Fuse? These are all areas I would look into.....

Good luck!

Old 08-29-2014, 12:36 PM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
My 991 C4 has the glass roof. I've had the car since February 2014 and, so far, haven't experienced anything like this. I am wondering whether this is a switch or relay issue, as opposed to something with the car's computer. If possible, your friend should consider taking the car to another dealer.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:10 PM
dyim will become famous soon enough
No problem with mine since new April 2013.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:46 PM
slick911 has a spectacular aura aboutslick911 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jawells1
I haven't heard of any glass roof problems, at least not enough to remember on this forum... but i am sure others will chime-in if they know of anything similar.

Root cause really depends on where the problem manifests... Doesn't sound like it, but consider is it the motor, or is it the software that controls the motor? Any noise at all from the motor when attempting to open (I would listen for any whirring, clicks, scraping sounds), or is it completely silent? I am not up on the drive system for P-car roofs, but it could be that the cabling that moves the panel isn't engaged, or is jamming, or worst case the motor is simply dead. The fact that your friend had the SW reloaded and it worked for a period of time before again stopping does sound more like a SW or related issue. And it's not an electrical issue? Fuse? These are all areas I would look into.....

Good luck!
Completely silent. Dealer didn't mention having to replace the fuse during first visit.

Originally Posted by Leslierc
My 991 C4 has the glass roof. I've had the car since February 2014 and, so far, haven't experienced anything like this. I am wondering whether this is a switch or relay issue, as opposed to something with the car's computer. If possible, your friend should consider taking the car to another dealer.
Maybe a switch. Don't think it's the relay because the shade was completely retracted.
Back to the stealer next week so we'll see. Very disappointing.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:55 AM
DallasDave is on a distinguished road
Not one issue with mine in 4 months of regular use, up only. I rarely open it with the glass back as I think it looks odd open. I will open on beautiful nights and beautiful young lady passenger - need head room.

They'll get you fixed as it doesn't appear to be a common occurrence.

Dave in Dallas

Old 08-30-2014, 02:10 PM
Fixinbones will become famous soon enoughFixinbones will become famous soon enough
A bit off topic but I can't believe that porsche couldn't get the roof to open another 4-6". It would make the open air experience so much better.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:37 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fixinbones
A bit off topic but I can't believe that porsche couldn't get the roof to open another 4-6". It would make the open air experience so much better.
They did and they call it a Cab

I have a regular sunroof and I enjoy it mostly at night, so, i guess it's a nosunroof.

"According to dealer, sometimes it needs a second wake up from the long boat ride to the port of SoCal." A Hall of Fame Dealer Excuse for a broken part. A true masterpiece of bull$hit.
What ticks me off is when a dealer just can't say "I don't know what's wrong, I am going to call Porsche to find out why your $100,000+ toy does not work as Porsche promised. I'm really embarrassed by this and I will work for you to get this corrected."

Although these cars are complex, they work way better from the factory than cars did three or four decades ago. So, why don't dealers just suck it up and tell the truth.

Last edited by rnl; 08-30-2014 at 05:47 PM.