Lime Rock Historic Festival--pics and review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 09:53 AM
paradocs98 is on a distinguished road
Lime Rock Historic Festival--pics and review

(Note: I just saw a rennlist post that one of the drivers in Group 2, Lee Duran, died from his injuries when his 1934 MG flipped coming out of the Downhill in the afternoon session. So tragic--RIP. At least he was doing something he presumably loved.)

Yesterday I attended the 32nd Historic Festival at Lime Rock Park in beautiful northwestern Connecticut. I've lived in NYC or its suburbs for 22 years now, have been a car guy my entire life, and have driven LRP countless times with Skip Barber schools and HPDE events, and yet I'd never done the Historics before today. Well, I'll consider today the start of a new tradition. It was a fantastic experience, with the fun starting the minute I hit the parking lot.

As would be expected, the many spectators/enthusiasts in attendance drove their best cars, and so the parking fields themselves were a great show. The infield was split between general parking and corral parking, which featured collections of various brands--Porsche, BMW, Lotus, etc. I parked in the Porsche corral, which arrayed the cars around the perimeter of the LRP skidpad. Very neat to see such a wide variety of P-cars: new 991s like mine, '80s Carreras and Turbos, '70s RSs, '50s Spyders, and even a Rauh-Welt (!).

After settling in, I walked down to the paddock. Lime Rock is always so special in its accessibility. Spectators were welcome to explore the whole paddock area, checking out all the racers as they prepared their cars. And there was some amazing stuff. The cars are grouped into 9 different racing classes, from pre-war '20s and '30s racers and sports cars, to '60s and '70s formula cars, to '60s GT racers, to late '60s-'70s TransAm series cars, and on and on. Among the more notable sights in the paddock were an ancient but strong Blower Bentley, March and Lotus formula cars, an authentic Shelby GT350 factory racer, a '73 RSR, and a no-kidding real '63 Ferrari GTO.

As for the track itself, Lime Rock's layout lends itself so well to spectator viewing. I was able to get really close to the action along the fence line at Big Bend (T1-2), as well as at the Uphill and at West Bend. So fun to see these old cars sliding through the corners. And this was clearly an "unmuffled" day for LRP, with most of the cars running open exhausts. The '60s Mustangs and Vettes rattled my teeth as they came flying over the Uphill crest toward West Bend.

Other fun sights were pro-racer Chris Dyson, who was mingling with fans at his Bentley GT3 display, SRT President Ralph Gilles talking with people at the Viper display, and the legendary Sir Stirling Moss taking a spin around the track in a '50s roadster. At the age of 84, Moss still has it--he executed a nice heel-and-toe downshift as he braked for turn 1, his smiling wife at his side. It was while I was on line for his autograph signing session in the mid afternoon when I first heard the news of a serious crash on track at the exit of the Downhill. Just read confirmation last night of a fatality. Such a sad note for an otherwise spectacular day.

Racing continues on Monday, and the concours is today (Sunday). I highly recommend it for anyone in the Northeast. Definitely worth the trip. Pictures follow.

Porsche corral on the LRP skidpad

Vintage Spyder looks like a toy compared to the big, modern Boxster

Hairy Dog RS

A more modern RS--love this color combo

Nice, vintage 240Z--my Mom had one in the early '70s--fond memories

Gorgeous replica Cobra coupe--love the license plate!

No less than three Lime Rock Park-edition M3s..."I'm at the Oscars, and she's wearing my same dress! And so is she!!"

Beautiful March 79B Formula Atlantic

A friend of mine in a Lotus 69 Formula Ford

Some pre-war action

Stutz--look at that straight-eight!

Big old Blower Bentley shadowing brand-new GT3 Continental

Spectacular, polished-aluminum Lotus

Pristine early-'70s Datsun sedan

Fantastic Shelby GT350

Gorgeous little Alfa--love those chunky fenders!

'60s Vette looks the business

Pretty RS with a psychedelic paint job

This vintage RS reminds us of how so much of our modern 911s' engine bays are plastic induction pieces and fans

Beautiful vintage Ferrari with Webers on display

Absolutely gorgeous RSR--I believe a replica, made with various parts

One of the cleanest, neatest interiors I've seen

Holy Enzo! First real GTO I've seen in person--this thing is probably worth more than all the houses on my block together, but worth every penny

Last edited by paradocs98; 08-31-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:53 AM
RS on track

More on-track action

Another RS in action

And the rarest beast of all--A Rauh-Welt, signed by the creator--check out that stance!

And a couple of videos. Sorry for the shakiness and poor tracking. I tried doing video with my digital SLR camera, when I should have just done it with my iPhone instead. You do get a sense of the noise, though.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:19 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
paradocs98- THANK YOU for sharing! Awesome sights and sounds, brought to all of us through your generosity!

Old 08-31-2014, 03:53 PM
moje911 is on a distinguished road
Looks like a cool event, great pics. Thanks

Just closed on our weekend house, specifically for LRP! I'll be sure to host a BBQ next year.

(You and jawells had me confused with similar names)

911/50 991 C2S

Old 08-31-2014, 04:08 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Great pics!!!!

Old 08-31-2014, 05:46 PM
I'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud of
Thanks for taking the time to post. Much appreciated.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by jawells1
paradocs98- THANK YOU for sharing! Awesome sights and sounds, brought to all of us through your generosity!
My pleasure--fun to be able to share with other enthusiasts who couldn't be there.
Originally Posted by moje911
Looks like a cool event, great pics. Thanks

Just closed on our weekend house, specifically for LRP! I'll be sure to host a BBQ next year.

(You and jawells had me confused with similar names)

911/50 991 C2S
An LRP weekend house? That's my dream! It's so beautiful up there.
Originally Posted by STALKER
Great pics!!!!

Old 08-31-2014, 06:36 PM
shumi_9 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for sharing. I lived 30 miles east of Lime Rock some time ago and used to go to the track as often as possible. Lots of events hosted in a beautiful setting...no racing on Sunday though as a compromise struck by the track owner and the locals. I also did some racing there...skip barber series. The uphill is scary as hell as the car goes airborn at the top and you better have that steering wheel nailed on straight when you land. The downhill is also very tricky. It can be taken at full speed but if you put any wheels off at the exit, oh boy!!!

Last edited by shumi_9; 08-31-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:17 AM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
Great pics!!! Thanks for posting! Looks like a great track and area! Very nice!

Old 09-01-2014, 03:10 PM
BlackSpeed will become famous soon enoughBlackSpeed will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the thread OP!

LRP is a special place to me too, having done countless laps around the track and attending many functions (including a few AMG Driving School events I will never forget).
It can be a tricky little track and I have my trouble spots that always challenge me.

I'll never forget one day when Tommy Kendall took me around the track at 150mph in the rain! haha
I could race all day every day and never get bored of it, I wish my life allowed more time at the track

RIP Lee Duran, my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:58 PM
Nuke986 has a spectacular aura aboutNuke986 has a spectacular aura about
I was there on Sunday,,,, what an amazing display of automobiles
(and lots of Porsche representation)

Also a great ride to and from.