Purchase advice from a 911 POV

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 04:23 PM
moje911 is on a distinguished road
Purchase advice from a 911 POV

Have a bit of a dilemma as to what to get as the next track rig. Nothing too hardcore, just love and appreciate dependable performance machines.

Didn't know whether to get a Cayman GTS (manual) or a GT3. Also on the short list is an M4, F-type S, or even an SLS. (Monies are allocated so let's say all things are equal)

I like to shift and do trackdays more for my satisfaction and to be as good of a driver I can be, rather than competitive racing or time. I will be primarily driving NJMP and Lime Rock and am more of a "Option 1" owner; meaning apart from consumables and suspension, don't plan to mod much more. Also I would be driving the 45 miles to/from the track.

Have pretty much read and watched all the media there is on all the cars and would love to hear more personal accounts on a grins/mile and satisfaction of expectations criteria. Sometimes there is not much to takeaway after watching /drive (Chris Harris), evo (Jethro) or Matt Farah.

So 911 owners with other experiences please chime in.
Thanks

911/50 991 C2S

Old 08-31-2014, 07:24 PM
todd92 is on a distinguished road
I haven't tracked my 991 C2S, and might never. But I do have considerable track time. I traded a GT-R for a manual 911 partly because I never want another DCT transmission (or worse yet, a slushbox) because of the lack of driver involvement. You say 'I like to shift', for me that would be a giant red flag the would automatically eliminate the GT3 (amazing as it is), and most definitely the F-type and SLS.

A lot of track days in the GT- R and M3 convinced me that road car track driving is so tame compared to MX that it renewed my enthusiasm for MX to the point where I'm back at the track 2-3 days a week and at 53 have my 35 year old speed back.

Good luck with whatever you choose, but if you like to shift, stay away from the automatics.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:22 PM
FrstPorsche is on a distinguished road
Call your local dealer and put down a deposit for the cayman GT4 that will come out in a year.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:34 PM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by FrstPorsche
Call your local dealer and put down a deposit for the cayman GT4 that will come out in a year.
I'm waiting for that. But most likely it will be PDK only.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:30 PM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
More than half of those cars listed don't come with a manual transmission. How about just a regular Cayman S? Save the money on the GTS and spend it on tires and track fees.

I fear the M4 may be a bit heavy for track use, but BMWs are generally quite fun as track toys.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:23 AM
moje911 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the input I just ordered an M4 yesterday, seems other people like it on the track (and am also happy with it being the cheapest of them all).

I am scared of buyers remorse buying a Cayman S now and having a GT4 come out in a year, so I'll just wait til the GT4 comes out to get a Cayman.

My garage is starting to look like a "best of" track compilation album

Old 09-06-2014, 04:57 AM
todd92 is on a distinguished road
M4 is really nice, I thought hard about one, but I mostly avoid buying new and especially the latest must have model. You will be happy with it, I've owned 2 M cars.