991 as long term keeper?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 10:54 PM
Southwest4S is on a distinguished road
991 as long term keeper?

Part of the appeal IMO of 911 is their timeless design that lends toward keeping long term without losing its appeal. I see a lot of older ( greater than 10+ years) that still look great. However, I wonder if the latest generation is as durable as 911 versions of old. Has the emphasis on lighter construction led to a product that will be less durable in the long run? Furthermore, has the increasing complexity of the electronic systems in these cars made them more like our smart phones, something to be changed out every couple years (or endure outrageous maintenance costs )? I'm not talking about having the latest and most up-to-date mind you just whether the car can still be fun, reliable, and relatively reasonable financially to maintain at year 20. What do you think?

Old 09-01-2014, 05:54 AM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
No problem keeping a 991 long term.
It is very a very simple car, compared to future 911 that will be Turbo, Hybrid, Active Grille, Rear Steering, etc.

The electronics that we do have on the car are designed for long service life and are fairly straightforward to troubleshoot.
So far, Change Over Valves appear to be the only problem.
Switching those out, pro actively, would be recommended.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:00 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I've owned 15 Porsches (11 911s) over the past 47 years and this one far surpasses the next best one I ever had. The old ones were much more maintenance intensive and I'm so confident in this one I'm not planning on buying a maintenance package after the warranty period ends (but then I mostly self insure). Other than the IMS issue (which I think is not germane in this car) it's mostly bulletproof unless you slip the clutch a lot on start-up which is unnecessary. That will cost you ~$3500 and could happen well before 100k miles). I put the $300 / month in investment grade stocks / notes (e.g. CDX3) and I always come out on top.

ChuckJ

Old 09-01-2014, 09:16 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
I drove my first Porsche 911 to 231,500 miles. They are tough cars.