Tailgating/aggressive behavior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 07:48 AM
toddcc1 will become famous soon enoughtoddcc1 will become famous soon enough
Here as well...

New member here, hence, hello. This is rampant in the Denver/Colorado Springs area. The police have special programs to ticket the offenders. They ride around in semi-trucks, then radio ahead to the awaiting officer. Ticket planted.

I will add that being a new P-car owner, I didn't notice it in my Audi, now, yes. All day, people ride my rear end.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:22 AM
991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by toddcc1
I will add that being a new P-car owner, I didn't notice it in my Audi, now, yes. All day, people ride my rear end.
Have to share one of the funniest aggressive driving experiences I have encountered to date. This occurred On Friday.

Driving in "stop & go" traffic in the middle lane of a 3 lane highway. There is a 3 lane to 2 lane squeeze merge. I am doing between 3-5 mph. Windows down on a spectacular day. A young male in a GTI with a bullet exhaust comes up next to me. We are both at 3 mph. He depresses the clutch and starts to rev up his RPM's. I am in disbelief. He then inches ahead in the left lane. After about 100 yards, I pass him at 5 mph. He then catches up in a bit & does the same thing. My teeth were chattering from vibration. His lane frees up a bit and he pulls away. I am still doing 3 mph. A large SUV is now on my left. A man about 40 sticks his head out of the rear seat window and grabs my attention. He yells "can I ask you a question"? I replied with an affirmative nod. He said "do you mind if I catch up to that guy in the GTI and tell him what an AH he is"? I said "be my guest" I laughed all the way to my destination.

Last edited by 991carreradriver; 09-14-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:16 PM
paradocs98 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Have to share one of the funniest aggressive driving experiences I have encountered to date. This occurred On Friday.

Driving in "stop & go" traffic in the middle lane of a 3 lane highway. There is a 3 lane to 2 lane squeeze merge. I am doing between 3-5 mph. Windows down on a spectacular day. A young male in a GTI with a bullet exhaust comes up next to me. We are both at 3 mph. He depresses the clutch and starts to rev up his RPM's. I am in disbelief. He then inches ahead in the left lane. After about 100 yards, I pass him at 5 mph. He then catches up in a bit & does the same thing. My teeth were chattering from vibration. His lane frees up a bit and he pulls away. I am still doing 3 mph. A large SUV is now on my left. A man about 40 sticks his head out of the rear seat window and grabs my attention. He yells "can I ask you a question"? I replied with an affirmative nod. He said "do you mind if I catch up to that guy in the GTI and tell him what an AH he is"? I said "be my guest" I laughed all the way to my destination.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:38 PM
RichardC is a glorious beacon of lightRichardC is a glorious beacon of lightRichardC is a glorious beacon of lightRichardC is a glorious beacon of lightRichardC is a glorious beacon of lightRichardC is a glorious beacon of light
I'm not sure what it us about our cars that invites aggressive driving. A friend in his v10 R8 and me in my 50th were cruising on the Sea-to-Sky highway here and on our way back to Vancouver. The posted limit was 90 km/h, and we were going about 110 and passing cars on the left. For those that don't know, this highway is a favourite for cops, so we just cruise at a good pace but not crazy. We passed a Volvo and I see in the mirror the Volvo changes lanes, starts to tail me, and the first chances he gets blows past me and my friend (I'm guessing 140+). What sucked is in changing lanes he kicked up some rocks that hit my windshield and left two small chips.

After this incident my friend picked up the pace, and we passed a Range Rover, who did the same thing. This time we were going much much faster, so the RR was doing a good 160 I would guess.

I also had a Mazda 3 try to box me in from a merge.

Richard

Old 09-17-2014, 12:54 PM
SilverSled is on a distinguished road
It's been said before, but it's worth repeating - where are the cops when you need them?

Do these people realize that no matter how fast they drive, they're not in our car's league?

Old 09-18-2014, 06:53 PM
jnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to all
This happened this morning. Expressway driving, single lane exit to another expressway, traveling about 55mph. There was moderate to heavy traffic on both roads--nowhere to go ahead at all. A woman in a Honda Civic got so close to my tail that I could barely see her hood, let alone her headlights. I gave a quick brake tap, no response. I gave a double tap, no response. I gave a six-tap, she finally backed off about one car length. Frightening, really. I wish there was a way to get people to actually think about what they are doing while driving.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:54 AM
stealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jnscolo
This happened this morning. Expressway driving, single lane exit to another expressway, traveling about 55mph. There was moderate to heavy traffic on both roads--nowhere to go ahead at all. A woman in a Honda Civic got so close to my tail that I could barely see her hood, let alone her headlights. I gave a quick brake tap, no response. I gave a double tap, no response. I gave a six-tap, she finally backed off about one car length. Frightening, really. I wish there was a way to get people to actually think about what they are doing while driving.
I once gave someone a brake tap like that and she was driving an SUV. Caused her to destabilize and almost roll. Was pretty pleased about that to be honest. I bet she didn't do it again. If she had rolled and been injured I could live with that. Nothing illegal about tapping the brakes. Something illegal about tailgating and there have to be consequences.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:26 AM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
The best way to deal with tailgaters is to gently slow down. Really pisses them off. There is a special place in hell reserved for those who tailgate in the right (slow) lane of a multi-lane highway. No excuse for that.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:33 PM
Cheekymonkeyman is on a distinguished road
Apparently there is a RACC (Rear Active Cruise Control) option in the 991.2
Speeds you up if someone gets too close behind... Then blinks the brake lights in morse code to signal .. -.. .. --- - before auto engaging PSE as a pre-warning PAS function...
Bring it on!

Old 09-19-2014, 04:15 PM
Rapture1 is on a distinguished road
I'll usually put on the Hazard lights if someone gets too close. It typically works but also pisses them off. Oh well.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:42 PM
naples991 is on a distinguished road
Talking

Funny story from today. I was heading down a 3 lane wide road in the left lane probably doing 60. All of a sudden as I get in the left lane for a left turn at the lights I see a Sentra hauling *** in the right lane presumably to catch up to me to show me the formidable power he was wielding under his control. I was practically stopped at the light when I first noticed him. He ended up taking a right turn fish tailing and squealing his tires hard. He almost lost control.

Dumb ***!

Old 09-20-2014, 10:23 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
My beloved, old and departed (at 260,000 miles when I gave it away) Volvo 245 had a particularly wonderful Anti tailgating tool. The car had two rear fog lights mounted in the light cluster. if the lights were on and you could engage the rear fog lights with the switch. The tailgater believed you were slamming on your brakes when it was engaged.

Last edited by rnl; 09-20-2014 at 10:55 AM.