driving epiphany

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 10:50 AM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
right

Originally Posted by beemer guy
I don't understand. Is it a one lane road, or a one-way road? If it's the former, then how would you go around them even if they were on the correct side?
Of course neither of these have a side let alone a correct one, do they.

Solely for the benefit of other members reading this post - I was referring to what is known as a 1+1, 1 lane in each direction.

DRP

Old 09-17-2014, 12:50 PM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by drspeed
Solely for the benefit of other members reading this post - I was referring to what is known as a 1+1, 1 lane in each direction.

DRP
What? That's not for my benefit as well?

Old 09-18-2014, 07:03 PM
jnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to all
Originally Posted by rnl
Yeah, I always check my mail at WOT.
You made me blow a spit bubble I laughed so hard. Thank you!

Old 09-18-2014, 07:57 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
I am frequently reminded of how ignorant/selfish/self-righteous/clueless some drivers are at intersections when they see a motorcycle or sports car. ... Same with the bikes. Their acceleration and braking abilities open options on the road that no car can dream of. Let them go already.

This is the kind of stuff that keeps you alive, though. I don't trust anyone on the roads, and that has kept me out of crashes on motorcycles (and sports cars) for many decades of riding. I choose where to go fast, and where to keep it dialed down. Anywhere there are intersections and the potential to have someone pull out on me or turn in front of me are no-speed areas. If I really want to go fast, I do a track day to get my fill. That's so much better then speeding on public roads and you don't get hauled off to jail. etc.

Here's a guy who failed to follow that rule. He was on a 2-lane road on a motorcycle, with his Go Pro running and impacted the car at 97 mph, he was killed instantly and the Go Pro caught it all. You don't want to be this guy...skip to 2:45 for the actual crash. Even though you might have a powerful machine and a high skill set, you do have a duty to yourself (and others) to operate responsibly. Going this fast on a 2-lane road was stupid, and he paid a high price.

And here was what the car looked like after getting struck by his motorcycle at that speed. Is the thrill of speed worth all this? I don't think so...

Last edited by drcollie; 09-18-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:11 PM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Been posted before. Still makes an impression after seeing it again... Another epidemic..

Saw a story today that there is a laser being developed that police can shoot at a car to see if anyone is texting while driving (same concept as the lasers used for speeding).

Old 09-19-2014, 09:33 AM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
terrible

Originally Posted by drcollie
[I] Going this fast on a 2-lane road was stupid, and he paid a high price.[/IMG][/URL]
+1 I feel very sorry for the motorist in the car for the physical and mental anguish arising out of that crash. That rider was was not only driving extremely fast down the road, but he was passing cars illegally in the same lane and then barley slowed down at a point where cars can cross the road way. That was not only reckless but also poor judgment...bad driving.

I traded in my K12GT last year and had a K12S and K12RS before that. 12 years and just under 70,000 miles on two wheels and never so much as a scratch and I exceeded the posted limits on every ride I'm sure (i.e. going 52 in a 45 - but never passing between cars and other dumb things some bikers do). With the proper windscreen on a BMW bike its easy to cruise @85+ on long trips. The point is, as said above, you must exercise discretion as to when it is appropriate to speed (if you choose to speed at all that is). If your judgment is sound and you have a good amount of luck, you will have a clean driving record to show for it - few if any accidents or tickets.

Motor vehicles can be very dangerous. I know people (family members in fact) who simply have far to many mishaps behind the wheel. Speeding will only amplify the consequences of these mistakes (as in the video above). What I said earlier about motorcycles is that drivers who have never ridden a bike can't appreciate how much easier it is to say, for example, execute a pass in a passing zone, or accelerate to merge with another lane. In a cross walk, cars are required by law to yield to pedestrians and the logic there is sound - the pedestrian can be easily gravely injured by the car while the inverse is not true. They are not on equal standing. The same logic applies to cars vs. motorcycles. Like the pedestrian, the motorcycle can make sudden movements far more abruptly than a car, however, in the event of a collision, the car will undoubtedly cause more damage to the motorcycle and its rider than vice versa. In sum, its a good idea to keep an extra cushion when following behind a motorcycle (their brakes are vastly more powerful than a car's) and if you see a bike filling your rearview mirror, make an effort to allow them by if they appear antsy to pass.

Safe motoring,
DRP

Last edited by drspeed; 09-19-2014 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:33 PM
Grunty will become famous soon enough
I just wish it was possible to maintain a decent amount of distance between other vehicles on the road. One thing I have noticed is that people seem to want to be too close all the time, as if there is some sort of mass nearsightedness.

If you want to pass, pass. If you are happy with the current flow, back off enough car lengths so that if you have to suddenly stop, you have time to react.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:59 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Grunty
I just wish it was possible to maintain a decent amount of distance between other vehicles on the road. One thing I have noticed is that people seem to want to be too close all the time, as if there is some sort of mass nearsightedness.

If you want to pass, pass. If you are happy with the current flow, back off enough car lengths so that if you have to suddenly stop, you have time to react.
I totally agree. I always TRY to get distance between myself and the car in front and every time the space barely exceeds the length of a car some #?%# has to squeeze in between. Drives me nuts.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:27 PM
JamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of light
Yesterday I saw another egregious example of driving that is facilitated by excessively low speed limits... Checking the mailbox from your car, stopped in the road facing oncoming traffic on a one lane road. The s^it you see in a 25 zone.... DRP
You have mentioned a couple of different things that have happened to you in areas with residential driveways. Here is a thought. Don't speed in areas with residential driveways because the things you mention and about a 100 others are common in these areas.

Seriously one would think this would be common sense.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:26 AM
dogshyne is on a distinguished road
I don't see this thread turning any better. either you are a good guy who is misunderstood or a guy that is going to have this thread pulled someday and used against him in court after the front of his car hits someone/something.

at this point the best move would be to delete the whole thing or risk having a judge read it and make his own conclusions when you are somewhere you don't think you will be.

your call.

+1 I feel very sorry for the motorist in the car for the physical and mental anguish arising out of that crash. That rider was was not only driving extremely fast down the road, but he was passing cars illegally in the same lane and then barley slowed down at a point where cars can cross the road way. That was not only reckless but also poor judgment...bad driving.

I traded in my K12GT last year and had a K12S and K12RS before that. 12 years and just under 70,000 miles on two wheels and never so much as a scratch and I exceeded the posted limits on every ride I'm sure (i.e. going 52 in a 45 - but never passing between cars and other dumb things some bikers do). With the proper windscreen on a BMW bike its easy to cruise @85+ on long trips. The point is, as said above, you must exercise discretion as to when it is appropriate to speed (if you choose to speed at all that is). If your judgment is sound and you have a good amount of luck, you will have a clean driving record to show for it - few if any accidents or tickets.

Motor vehicles can be very dangerous. I know people (family members in fact) who simply have far to many mishaps behind the wheel. Speeding will only amplify the consequences of these mistakes (as in the video above). What I said earlier about motorcycles is that drivers who have never ridden a bike can't appreciate how much easier it is to say, for example, execute a pass in a passing zone, or accelerate to merge with another lane. In a cross walk, cars are required by law to yield to pedestrians and the logic there is sound - the pedestrian can be easily gravely injured by the car while the inverse is not true. They are not on equal standing. The same logic applies to cars vs. motorcycles. Like the pedestrian, the motorcycle can make sudden movements far more abruptly than a car, however, in the event of a collision, the car will undoubtedly cause more damage to the motorcycle and its rider than vice versa. In sum, its a good idea to keep an extra cushion when following behind a motorcycle (their brakes are vastly more powerful than a car's) and if you see a bike filling your rearview mirror, make an effort to allow them by if they appear antsy to pass.

Safe motoring,
DRP

Old 09-22-2014, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by dogshyne
I don't see this thread turning any better.
Neither do I regrettably.

As for the admissibility of any internet communications in a U.S. court - a quick point of information. It is very difficult to authenticate the author of a post, email or text. I had a client on an attempted murder charge arising out of threats made from his cell phone number. Turns out the victim logged into his cellular account online and sent herself the texts. That's the world we live in.

As for me, I do far more to make roadways safer than more dangerous. Of that I'm certain.

Safe motoring,
DRP

Old 09-22-2014, 07:40 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Neither do I regrettably.

As for the admissibility of any internet communications in a U.S. court - a quick point of information. It is very difficult to authenticate the author of a post, email or text. I had a client on an attempted murder charge arising out of threats made from his cell phone number. Turns out the victim logged into his cellular account online and sent herself the texts. That's the world we live in.

As for me, I do far more to make roadways safer than more dangerous. Of that I'm certain.

Safe motoring,
DRP
Feel safer now from the internet police? Ultimately you lost me in your first post when you gave the public far too much credit for their motor vehicle recognition, situational awareness, and for making sound decisions when faced with multiple variables. Truth is you can't predict what's going to creep out of a driveway, whether they see (or hear) you or not to afford your car the recognition you think it deserves. As a youngster less than 10, I was hit by a car on my bike as I departed my driveway. I never saw the car or remember it to this day. I was sent sailing to the other side of the road where I was knocked unconscious (woke up in the hospital). Ultimately you have to be smart about what you do, and expect no one else to be as smart. And when you think your skills are diminishing, go drive in Germany so you can realize you never had much of any skills to begin with.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:19 PM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve997S
Feel safer now from the internet police? Ultimately you lost me in your first post when you gave the public far too much credit for their motor vehicle recognition, situational awareness, and for making sound decisions when faced with multiple variables. Truth is you can't predict what's going to creep out of a driveway, whether they see (or hear) you or not to afford your car the recognition you think it deserves. As a youngster less than 10, I was hit by a car on my bike as I departed my driveway. I never saw the car or remember it to this day. I was sent sailing to the other side of the road where I was knocked unconscious (woke up in the hospital). Ultimately you have to be smart about what you do, and expect no one else to be as smart. And when you think your skills are diminishing, go drive in Germany so you can realize you never had much of any skills to begin with.
Steve O -

What happened to this fine German driver? Maybe he missed "wet road" day in driving school? Bad drivers are everywhere, even in DEU.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11409228...et-german-road

Last edited by STG991; 09-22-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:28 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STG958
Steve O -

What happened to this fine German driver? Maybe he missed "wet road" day in driving school? Bad drivers are everywhere, even in DEU.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11409228...et-german-road
The only bad drivers I saw in 5 years living in Germany were from elsewhere. Driving training in Germany is VERY expensive and is a very lengthy course. My point was, you think you are a good driver until you go somewhere where you can really explore the limits, then you realize how much better you have become once you've broadened your perspective. With that, it's hard to think back that you were a good driver when you had barely pushed a vehicle. Another point is to know where you can push limits, and a neighborhood full of kids isn't one of them.

BTW, how do you know the driver of the Ferrari is German? Accidents do happen. Far less there than here.

Last edited by Steve997S; 09-22-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:03 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Steve997S
The only bad drivers I saw in 5 years living in Germany were from elsewhere. Driving training in Germany is VERY expensive and is a very lengthy course. My point was, you think you are a good driver until you go somewhere where you can really explore the limits, then you realize how much better you have become once you've broadened your perspective. With that, it's hard to think back that you were a good driver when you had barely pushed a vehicle. Another point is to know where you can push limits, and a neighborhood full of kids isn't one of them. BTW, how do you know the driver of the Ferrari is German? Accidents do happen. Far less there than here.
I agree it is much more difficult to get a lic, and they do take it more seriously and even do tend to be better drivers on average...

But I've found no shortage of bad drivers all over germany although I spend the majority of my time in Hamburg / Kiel area..

The one thing however that they are very good about on the autobahn is not passing on the right and getting the hell out of the left lane, and this makes the autobahn much safer given the speed differentials..

But I find Germans have the capacity to be just as arrogant and aggressive as I see in Los Angeles.. Just in slightly different ways..