Give me a break

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 08:04 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STG958
Steve O. It's not a Porsche Design Store.

It's an iPorsche store! The car division is doing this gig.

Why didn't they put a Cayman in back of the store instead of a 911?? : )

I think the hipsters might be more excited to see a Macan or something.
I understand it's not a Porsche Design store (which I've been in and are not my thing), but it's nonetheless something unique and not necessarily tied to anything. I say more power to them and if it proves lucrative and a place where people enjoy going, then all the better. I have my doubts it will amount to much, but it's someone's vision and perhaps they're smarter than us all.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:19 PM
onapex is on a distinguished road
What's the big deal? A store to promote the brand? Are people worried somebody who knows nothing about Porsche might walk into the pop-up store, learn a little, like what they see, and go buy a Porsche?

Old 09-16-2014, 09:35 AM
Airdoc will become famous soon enough
I’ll be contrarian on this one…
Remember when Oldsmobiles were cool? Neither do I. That brand was effectively marketed to my grandparent’s generation, and completely failed to evolve with the times.
I think this is brilliant. Would you have them just run ads in the print news paper? It is a creative way to approach younger generations that are used to interacting with media in different ways. These younger generations are now moving into the job market. Some will be able to afford a Porsche, and others will work hard dreaming of the day when they will be able to get one. The cleverest part is that when the store is no longer generating a lot of traffic, they break it down and move it somewhere else.
My only complaint:
The generation they are targeting has no idea what a record store is!!!
J

Old 09-16-2014, 04:44 PM
naples991 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by toddcc1
My only offense was the use of $350 Bose headphones. At the very least use Sennheiser.
Seriously

Old 09-16-2014, 05:37 PM
991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Airdoc
I’ll be contrarian on this one… Remember when Oldsmobiles were cool? Neither do I. That brand was effectively marketed to my grandparent’s generation, and completely failed to evolve with the times. I think this is brilliant. Would you have them just run ads in the print news paper? It is a creative way to approach younger generations that are used to interacting with media in different ways. These younger generations are now moving into the job market. Some will be able to afford a Porsche, and others will work hard dreaming of the day when they will be able to get one. The cleverest part is that when the store is no longer generating a lot of traffic, they break it down and move it somewhere else. My only complaint: The generation they are targeting has no idea what a record store is!!! J
I do remember & trust me the 442 was no grandparents car! That car rivaled GTO, Challenger, Barracuda, Trans Am, Z28, SS396 & the big block Fords. Nothing like going down memory lane

Frank C.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:24 PM
vangulik42 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Airdoc
I’ll be contrarian on this one…
Remember when Oldsmobiles were cool? Neither do I.
You guys are really making me feel old.

When I was in high school, I had free use of my family's 1955 Olds Super 88 two-door hardtop coupe. One of my best friends drove a similar 1954. With their 4-speed semi-manually shiftable Hydramatic transmissions and "Rocket" V-8's, we won our share of pre-arranged and reasonably well-attended, informal drag races. Not bad-looking either for the era. Certainly improved our high school social status.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:31 AM
97c2s993 is on a distinguished road
I learned about the store yesterday at the 14th St subway station (posters plastered on walls advertising "The Sounds of Porsche" with an address) on my way to a meeting so decided to be late for the meeting and stopped in to see what's up.
Outside there was a Panny, Cayman and Macan, all in white behind a red cordon.
In the store were a handful of younger (than me) hosts and hostesses who I quickly noticed knew very little about Porsche. There's an Espresso bar on the left (shown in the NY Times pic) but I wasn't offered one, a seating area in the middle with a shelf full of books on Porsche (but not for sale), the 'innovative' imitation vinyl record stand where one could choose and watch/listen to a short video on the 'story of Porsche', and some nice vintage posters on the wall.
In the back is some Porsche and Porsche Design merchandise for sale, but at dealer prices so sure to scare any potential Porsche consumer right there.
By far the most interesting piece is the full scale model of a C4S in the glass enclosure covered in a white screen where the people inside can experience the sounds of Porsche (sponsored again by Bose) together with a video projected onto the car - at times making it look like it's moving. Saw this in a thread a year or so ago, pretty cool when you see it in person.
Last, there's a chalkboard wall in the back where the visitors can draw what Porsche means to them. These will be captured and posted online, and a contest will select the best one (they have to get your name somehow!). There's an artist on site to assist and intimidate you with her expert drawings.
Nifty and gimmicky idea for sure, executed well...just ok in my books...but interesting if you happen to walk by...

Old 09-17-2014, 06:05 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
97C2S993 - thanks for the review

I miss NYC!

Last edited by STG991; 09-17-2014 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:58 PM
jnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
I do remember & trust me the 442 was no grandparents car! That car rivaled GTO, Challenger, Barracuda, Trans Am, Z28, SS396 & the big block Fords. Nothing like going down memory lane

Frank C.
Absolutely +1