When will PCM catch up with the times?

Old 09-18-2014, 02:23 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Question When will PCM catch up with the times?

In a separate thread, I mentioned that a friend of mine just picked up a 2015 Cayman S. While the dealer was running him through the initial setup of PCM, bluetooth, etc., he asked a simple question: "Where can I see all of my playlists and songs listed under bluetooth audio?"

The dealer rep scratched his head and pulled the manual out; I simply walked around the car and ignored the question.

It is my understanding that unlike BMW/Mercedes, we cannot display/control a full list of music through the BT Aux connection. Am I right? I assume that the controls may be different if the phone is actually connected via USB (or if the songs are uploaded into the hard drive), but still...

Also, assuming that I haven't missed anything and I'm correct, when the heck is Porsche going to implement such a feature? I found it somewhat embarrassing when both the dealer rep and I didn't have an answer to the question, especially since other German cars that cost far, far less than Porsche have these features.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:21 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
2nd gen 991 should have updated PCM.

I just traded in my 991 c4s for a 997.2 GT3 and the tech in that car feels ancient to my 991.

I'd be surprised if they do not upgrade the PCM across all models in 2016 or so.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:34 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by STALKER
2nd gen 991 should have updated PCM.

I just traded in my 991 c4s for a 997.2 GT3 and the tech in that car feels ancient to my 991.

I'd be surprised if they do not upgrade the PCM across all models in 2016 or so.
I'm sure that the change between the 997.2 and the 991.1 is huge, but the fact that Bluetooth audio isn't a fully functioning system like most other car models is sad.

As much as I can justify Porsche's reasons behind their marketing/cars/prices, some things, like BT audio, baffle me.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:07 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
When I bought my 987.1, not only was there no BT, but there was no connect at all for the iPod. Nothing. Porsche didn't make any way of connecting an iPod to its stereo. You had to buy an $800 aftermarket product to connect it. And then all it did was list your tracks as number 1-99. It was insane. Porsche has never been known for cutting edge in car entertainment. The car is supposed to be entertainment enough.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:05 AM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Christophosphorus
I'm sure that the change between the 997.2 and the 991.1 is huge, but the fact that Bluetooth audio isn't a fully functioning system like most other car models is sad.

As much as I can justify Porsche's reasons behind their marketing/cars/prices, some things, like BT audio, baffle me.
Just out of curious but why do you want to use BT Audio, the quality is so poor, why not simply use the AUX. Sound quality is good and you get decent integration.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:10 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Just out of curious but why do you want to use BT Audio, the quality is so poor, why not simply use the AUX. Sound quality is good and you get decent integration.
I don't use the Aux input, but for sure the BT quality sucks. You can load your tunes into the jukebox, but that still limits you to MP3 quality, not that most people would notice. But then you can search by artist or album or genre...

Part of it may come from the (perceived) German attitude that we should be driving, not playing with our phones and drinking our double espresso latte grande whatever with extra foam. Which is why it took so long for BMW and Porsche to actually put cupholders in their cars...

Old 09-19-2014, 06:18 AM
Originally Posted by beemer guy
I don't use the Aux input, but for sure the BT quality sucks. You can load your tunes into the jukebox, but that still limits you to MP3 quality, not that most people would notice. But then you can search by artist or album or genre...

Part of it may come from the (perceived) German attitude that we should be driving, not playing with our phones and drinking our double espresso latte grande whatever with extra foam. Which is why it took so long for BMW and Porsche to actually put cupholders in their cars...
I used the jukebox often, great feature.

I just don't see the appeal of BT audio, quality is very poor, uses battery life, and you get poor integration….but its mostly the audio quality turns me off.

At least with AUX you get good sound quality and it charges your phone.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:52 AM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
The honest answer is: "not anytime soon". If we're honest, Porsche's electronics have lagged behind the industry for quite some time. Porsche spends their R&D on drivetrains, suspension and brakes. Electronics are not a top priority. And call me odd, but I'm ok with that.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:41 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Da Hapa
The honest answer is: "not anytime soon". If we're honest, Porsche's electronics have lagged behind the industry for quite some time. Porsche spends their R&D on drivetrains, suspension and brakes. Electronics are not a top priority. And call me odd, but I'm ok with that.
I think that stuff is left to their suppliers, Bose, etc.. I assume.

And to your comments, I don't think they are on top of the list in priorities.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:10 PM
I think we've had this conversation many times before. Simple answer: Bluetooth audio is there for a reason, and I love the convenience of leaving the phone in my pocket and having access to my music files. The same applies to the bluetooth phone and text function. Since there's no need to physically connect and disconnect my phone every time, I'd rather use BT.

Aux is definitely a "better" system and will offer more functionality and better sound, but that isn't an acceptable alternative when a majority of cars on the market below our price range have full integration of BT audio playlists and controls.