Sport Plus... OH MY!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 03:13 PM
OU_1804 is on a distinguished road
Sport Plus... OH MY!!!!

I've now got 2,725 miles on the odometer since taking delivery on May 30th and I've enjoyed putting every single one of them on my beautiful 50th anniv edition 911.

Driving home late last evening I gave the Sport Plus setup a go for no other reason than I hadn't ever used it yet. Talk about a ...what the hell was that type of experience?!?! It honestly felt as if someone picked me up and put me into an entirely different vehicle. Performance was insane. Torque was insane. Exhaust was insane. With the windows down and sunroof open my ears actually hurt! The car went from mild-mannered precision machine to absolute altered beast. I'm not sure how much the SPASM goes into the overall setup change... all I know is that IT WAS AWESOME!

Since I now have a better appreciation of the extent of the power and capability this car has I am determined to take lessons and then track the car somewhere this Fall or coming Spring.

Anyway, it's freaking unbelievable what a little button can do, gotta love it and had to share!

Old 09-18-2014, 04:18 PM
eg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to behold
Totally agree . . . but what took so long for you to try it!? ;-)

Old 09-18-2014, 06:37 PM
jnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to all
I think of the three modes like this:

Normal: Lovely GT cruising mode. Benign.
Sport: PSE sound and quicker shifts make things interesting if still usable in traffic.
Sport+: Holy sh*t!

Old 09-18-2014, 06:47 PM
fjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to all
300 miles, so far. I greatly look forward to this.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:05 PM
John's 991 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by OU_1804
I've now got 2,725 miles on the odometer since taking delivery on May 30th and I've enjoyed putting every single one of them on my beautiful 50th anniv edition 911.

Driving home late last evening I gave the Sport Plus setup a go for no other reason than I hadn't ever used it yet. Talk about a ...what the hell was that type of experience?!?! It honestly felt as if someone picked me up and put me into an entirely different vehicle. Performance was insane. Torque was insane. Exhaust was insane. With the windows down and sunroof open my ears actually hurt! The car went from mild-mannered precision machine to absolute altered beast. I'm not sure how much the SPASM goes into the overall setup change... all I know is that IT WAS AWESOME!

Since I now have a better appreciation of the extent of the power and capability this car has I am determined to take lessons and then track the car somewhere this Fall or coming Spring.

Anyway, it's freaking unbelievable what a little button can do, gotta love it and had to share!

I would suggest you try a track day with a local PCA or other quality club that offers instruction. Getting quality instruction early is really helpful, and potentially can save lots of $$. You got a small taste of what the car can do, but there is a lot more to explore that can really only be done on the track. There are lots of threads here and on Rennlist discussing first track days.

Glad you had such a good time, and there is plenty more of that than what you have experienced so far!

Old 09-19-2014, 02:49 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Confession: I always/only use Sport+.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:09 AM
farfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond repute
+++

You gotta try this!
I did yesterday for the 1st time after reading this.
W O W !

Old 09-19-2014, 06:14 AM
991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by fjpgt3
300 miles, so far. I greatly look forward to this.
Someone should explain the physics of the Porsche break in procedure. I have broken in at least 4 aircraft engines from new. These procedures are the exact opposite of what Porsche recommends. In my view a piston engine is a piston engine. To properly seat rings maximum sustained power is used for as long as you can fly. I always used two hours minimum. My C2 was run hard from day one. The one limit was never to run high load & low RPM. The biggest threat is heat, the engine will run cooler if it's running at high RPM. Frank C.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:44 AM
todd92 is on a distinguished road
Break-in is not for seating the rings, which has been accomplished at the factory during the engine run-in. Unlike an airplane, a car has a gearbox and differential(s), whose gears do need to be worn in.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:57 AM
addysdaddy has a spectacular aura aboutaddysdaddy has a spectacular aura about
I'm not that smart so i followed the recommended break in procedure outlined in the owners manual. <=4k RPMs for the first 2k miles and do not lug the engine. >=2k miles, let her rip after normal operating temperature has been reached.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:05 AM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
Sport plus has no impact on my 991SC 7 speed manual.....

Old 09-19-2014, 10:36 AM
shaytun will become famous soon enoughshaytun will become famous soon enough
I also only drive in Sport +. I don't notice the night and day difference between modes in terms of steering feel and throttle response. I enjoy the auto-rev matching in the 7MT and having PSE on. I usually turn the chassis to normal unless it's extremely spirited driving.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:16 PM
Grunty will become famous soon enough
Maybe I am missing something here but as far as I can tell, spot plus simply takes the gears to almost redline before shifting. (Yes it also changes the limiter to hard as opposed to soft limit).
This makes it basically useless outside of a track environment unless you want to be doing 100 before you shift into third.
Sport plus only seems viable on the street to me in conjunction with manual shifts but even then I assume it would subsequently downshift your up shifts.
What I have not tried is sport plus button on while in manual mode, maybe that makes some sort of difference.

Edit: talking PDK here...

Old 09-19-2014, 01:34 PM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Sport plus is utterly useless IMO.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:10 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by m5_2010
Sport plus has no impact on my 991SC 7 speed manual.....
Auto rev matching on downshifts and longer holds on upshifts, but I believe that's in conjunction with Sport Chrono on newer models.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sport Plus... OH MY!!!!