Can you fit four 20" tires INSIDE 991?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 06:24 AM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Can you fit four 20" tires INSIDE 991?

One of the things that always frustrated me about the 987 Cayman was when it came time to get my winter tires mounted I had to borrow a friend's car to get the tires to the dealership. I couldn't fit all four tires inside the Cayman.

Question with the 991, can I fit four 20" snow tires inside the car (thinking maybe one in the front trunk, one in the front passenger seat and two in the back passenger seats???)

Anyone know for sure either way?

Old 09-23-2014, 06:32 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
I don't think you can fit even two. I'm 99% sure (from trying myself) that the wheels won't fit in the frunk. I think one in the passenger seat is all you'll get.

This is just one of many reasons to have a dedicated winter set and swap them yourself.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:52 AM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
I just swap mine at home. It's a good time to clean the wheel wells and the wheels themselves.

Maybe you could use a roof rack. :-)

Name:  flmob24.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  57.7 KB

Old 09-23-2014, 07:12 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by stealthboy
I just swap mine at home. It's a good time to clean the wheel wells and the wheels themselves.

Maybe you could use a roof rack. :-)

Quite a clever set-up if you ask me.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:21 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Not even close.

PS - I never tried nor would I. The damage that would be done trying to see if they would fit would be more than I could stomach.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:26 AM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by KonaKai
This is just one of many reasons to have a dedicated winter set and swap them yourself.
Absolutely. Ideally this is what I want to do.

But running 20" Michelin snows on 20" Porsche OEM rims (same as the ones below) is going to cost around $5,000 to $6,000. Even a cheap(er) 19" set up on no name TireRack wheels is pushing $4,000.

I just bought the car this year and I'm trying to get as much of it paid off as possible, plus want to do a sport exhaust, plus my girlfriends wants to do new counters and a built in bookcase in the house so it's hard to scratch together $6,000 for a dedicated winter set up this year.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:30 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
The roof rack may be your best solution if you need to cart the set over to the dealer and back.... I see plenty of guys doing this at DE / track days.

You may also want to check with your dealer. They might offer to store your summer / winter sets for a nominal fee. I do understand that some members on this board will likely say they would never do this, but I've kept my sets for several cars at my own local dealer, and never had any issues. Just drive over, have them swapped, and I'm away! I then don't have to cart the sets around, and even better don't have to store them in my garage. I can have them cleaned while there, as well....

Also keep in mind it isn't really just the diameter of the wheel you have to deal with -- it's the combination of diameter and width that will make it difficult to even get one rear through the door and past your drivers seat! Forget getting all 4 in there. Now if you had a set of 6" wide skinnys, would definitely be easier!

Good luck!

Old 09-23-2014, 07:40 AM
Thanks, I guess these really are huge wheels. Funny that you can fit two people back there, but not two wheels.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:32 AM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
One tire, easily, two tires, not comfortably. You can fit a tire into the passenger seat, but it has to sit parallel to you. Then you have to watch out for hard turns else it falls onto you. Fitting it sideways makes it difficult to shift for manual cars. They will not fit in the frunk, too tall.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:34 AM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Michael_s
Not even close. PS - I never tried nor would I. The damage that would be done trying to see if they would fit would be more than I could stomach.
Wrap them in garbage bags, heavy duty.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:38 AM
brianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond repute
I've transported one front wheel w/ tire in the back of my car. I think that even two back there would be a stretch.

Rears would be very tough to get through the doorway and past the seat.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:41 AM
bboatman has a spectacular aura aboutbboatman has a spectacular aura about
I've fit 4 wheels, with out tires mounted in my 991. Not sure how they'd fit with tires. I put one in the passenger foot well, on in the seat and two in the rear seats.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:56 AM
Other quick question regarding winter wheels...

If I decide not to do the TPMS in the winter wheels what happens?

Do I get a constant error message? Can I simply and easily turn off TPMS myself in the menu? Or does the dealer have to do it?

Old 09-23-2014, 10:56 AM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
You will always have an error message. I'm sure you can minimize the actual message displayed.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:34 AM
naples991 is on a distinguished road
No

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can you fit four 20" tires INSIDE 991?