View Poll Results: Does your 911 stumble / hesitate
Yes - Stumbles / Hesitates (Appeared after xxxx miles)
18.37%
Yes - Stumbles / Hesitates (Started at delivery (0 miles))
13.27%
No - Smooth as silk (What stumble?)
68.37%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Engine Stumble Poll

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 03:21 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Engine Stumble Poll

This is a simple poll to determine the prevalence of an engine hesitation / stumble that has randomly appeared in several 991 cars after many thousand miles of blissful motoring.

The stumble occurs under light to moderate load at ~2500rpm and the tugging also occurs while cruising ~2500rpm.

If you do not know what I'm referring to then you have most likely been spared, as this is not an intermittent characteristic that you would have to look for.

As far as I know, the following folks have posted their plight and frustration at being struck by dreaded engine stumble;
Stealthboy, Money2536, STG958, Mtony, BOWEN044, Mr.Boon, Grunty, PCS99, Cheekymonkey, Runner1021 and I (with quite a few others on that other board).

Contrary to what our beloved car manufacturer would have us believe;
1. This is NOT normal.
2. This does not happen in all 991's
3. None of these folks are insane (yet) or imagining this.

PLEASE PARTICIPATE AS THIS CAN APPEAR AT ANY TIME AND YOUR INFORMATION IS KEY TO US ACHIEVING CRITICAL MASS.

Last edited by dux; 09-23-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:59 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dux
This is a simple poll to determine the prevalence of an engine hesitation / stumble that has randomly appeared in several 991 cars after many thousand miles of blissful motoring.

The stumble appears under light to moderate load at ~2500rpm and the tugging also occurs while cruising ~2500rpm.

If you do not know what I'm referring to then you have most likely been spared, as this is not an intermittent characteristic that you would have to look for.

As far as I know, the following folks have posted their plight and frustration at being struck by dreaded engine stumble;
Stealthboy, Money2536, STG958, Mtony, BOWEN044, Mr.Boon, Grunty, PCS99, Cheekymonkey, Runner1021 and I (with quite a few others on that other board).

Contrary to what our beloved car manufacturer would have us believe;
1. This is NOT normal.
2. This does not happen in all 991's
3. None of these folks are insane (yet) or imagining this.

PLEASE PARTICIPATE AS THIS CAN APPEAR AT ANY TIME AND YOUR INFORMATION IS KEY TO US ACHIEVING CRITICAL MASS.
It would be nice to know if this is on base or S and PDK vs manual. It would also be nice to know if anyone is in the LL process.

ChuckJ

Old 09-23-2014, 04:19 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
It would be nice to know if this is on base or S and PDK vs manual. It would also be nice to know if anyone is in the LL process.

ChuckJ

After ~ 300 posts in this and the Cayman forum, it was determined that both the 3.4 and 3.8 engines are affected.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:17 PM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
It's also in both PDK and manual.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:17 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
My former 981S did not have any stumble. My RS60 (also 3.4, but non-DFI) has a stumble but only when cold.

There might be other variables. Is it always present, or intermittently? Oil level (my dealer has a habit of overfilling oil during changes). Most likely an ecu issue, but should be consistent.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:04 PM
dtslmberne is on a distinguished road
It's also in both PDK and manual.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:22 PM
dux
Just to clarity a few points. Over the past 6 - 9 months we determined that is happens in both manual and PDK cars, as well as 3.4 and 3.8 liter engines.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:52 PM
DallasDave is on a distinguished road
I went from a 997.2 to the 991 with 18 miles on the odometer. After my first few drives I noticed the hesitation immediately and reported it to the dealer. Lead service tech indicated that he had it before but offered no solution.

I'm now over 6k miles and have had the pdk reprogrammed with no change. It is annoying when I initially accelerate from a light and the engine bogs down before full acceleration is achieved.

Still waiting to hear/read of a solution.

Dave in Dallas

Last edited by DallasDave; 09-23-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:04 AM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Almost 40% of current poll takers have this problem. Wow...

Old 09-24-2014, 02:36 AM
dxb4232 has much to be proud ofdxb4232 has much to be proud ofdxb4232 has much to be proud ofdxb4232 has much to be proud ofdxb4232 has much to be proud ofdxb4232 has much to be proud ofdxb4232 has much to be proud ofdxb4232 has much to be proud ofdxb4232 has much to be proud ofdxb4232 has much to be proud of
Mine is smooth silk
Only engine delay I got was due to gear only (Dealer had to remap the programing and it was gone)

Old 09-24-2014, 06:51 AM
dremaley is on a distinguished road
So far so good with my 2014 Carrera. Engine is very smooth. No Stumble. My 2014 Carrera was built in April 2014 if that helps.

Last edited by dremaley; 09-25-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:01 AM
Money2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks dux for doing this. I'm still trying to pretend this isn't happening.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:10 AM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
Mine was built in April 2013. It might be good to get a feel for the various build dates of affected cars.

I would love to find the thing that we all have in common. Build date, fuel type, certain options (or lack thereof), anything...

Old 09-24-2014, 07:11 AM
btraer is on a distinguished road
2014 c2 - been happening since day one

I haven't had a Porsche in over 20 years so I just thought it was normal. Makes the new Corvette Z06 coming out next year look more attractive.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:37 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Christophosphorus
Almost 40% of current poll takers have this problem. Wow...
I wonder if this helps the argument that there's something wrong that needs to be fixed, or if it solidifies Porsche's response that "they all do that".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Stumble Poll