991 Rear View Camera Install - Part 2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 12:52 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
You ar every skillful and have courage to do it to your car...you need to be comfortable taking on such projects and you must be very experienced. What a neat job...Well done! Seems like an OEM/factory fitted camera

Last edited by Fester; 10-07-2014 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:26 AM
JCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jawells1
Ha. Likely just because it hasn't been stated in the 'puter as an "authorized" retrofit from headquarters. I imagine we'll see the parts start appearing soon, and then the dealers will charge like $1,500 or $2k to install!
Thanks - great job - I had my local shop follow your direction and it worked out great. Absolutely love this upgrade on my GT3. Hard to see out of the back and the cost of this is surely less than backing into something! Thanks again for the thorough write up. Here is a pic.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2269616743.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	460.1 KB
ID:	403673  
Old 10-02-2014, 12:41 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
Originally Posted by JCBH
I had my local shop follow your direction and it worked out great.
Do you know how many hours it took your shop to complete the install?

Old 10-02-2014, 04:21 PM
JCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BradB
Do you know how many hours it took your shop to complete the install?
Three or so...

Old 10-03-2014, 08:19 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Thanks - great job - I had my local shop follow your direction and it worked out great. Absolutely love this upgrade on my GT3. Hard to see out of the back and the cost of this is surely less than backing into something! Thanks again for the thorough write up. Here is a pic.
Thank you! I am glad that you / your installer found this helpful. I really enjoy doing these DIY's, both for the satisfaction of completing a cool project as well as the good dialog that it generates in the community.

I may now add a second camera -- facing forward. Not sure when I will have the time to take it on, but should be relatively "easy" with the NAV-TV interface already in place.

Enjoy!

Old 10-03-2014, 08:27 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Three or so...
That makes complete sense.... A pro installer, who does this for a living, really should be able to bang-out in several hours. It took me a *lot* longer, of course.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:09 PM
Thank you! I am glad that you / your installer found this helpful. I really enjoy doing these DIY's, both for the satisfaction of completing a cool project as well as the good dialog that it generates in the community.

I may now add a second camera -- facing forward. Not sure when I will have the time to take it on, but should be relatively "easy" with the NAV-TV interface already in place.

Enjoy!
I like the idea of the second camera. Let me know if you do it. Would be interested to get your feedback on it. Thanks again.
Jeff

Old 10-07-2014, 12:21 PM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by does195
Think he hijacked it from me!
I saw the "HOMELES" car at the Hurricane PCA Octoberfest a couple of days ago. I could not find the owner though, to say hi. The big bright red "S" is a nice touch.

Ooops, I went further OT.

Hey, OP, nice job, thanks for the write-up and great pics!

Last edited by beemer guy; 10-07-2014 at 12:22 PM. Reason: added kudos
Old 12-12-2014, 08:43 AM
EBuyuk is on a distinguished road
Great job on the install. After having talked with Nav TV, they told me that the lines do not turn when you turn your steering wheel. Has this been an issue with you guys who have installed it? Or is seeing the rear view with only straight lines on the screen enough?

Old 12-12-2014, 01:18 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by EBuyuk
Great job on the install. After having talked with Nav TV, they told me that the lines do not turn when you turn your steering wheel. Has this been an issue with you guys who have installed it? Or is seeing the rear view with only straight lines on the screen enough?
No, it doesn't have the "predictive" aspect you refer to. But I'm very happy with it as is I don't think you will miss it in the least. (I don't really like the predictive features when I've used them on other cars anyway).

In the end, you really are more interested in seeing what is behind you, the straight lines that are presented are I guess useful, but I've considered cutting the jumper on the camera and removing them completely.

Honestly the CAM2 which is a Sony camera is really pretty good resolution wise and has decent low light capability.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by EBuyuk
Thanks. The lines being stationary or fixed don't matter much to me. I do like it in larger cars, or my SUV, when the lines bend to indicate front-wheel angle. But on the 991 the fixed lines work just fine. In much larger cars I would think where you are more reliant on the camera viewpoint to maneuver it makes a difference -- but in my case I use the rear camera more for additional safety check before reversing than anything else.

I also found that I can turn-on the rear camera and view through PCM at any time, whether in reverse or not, even while moving! Kinda cool on my spirited drives for my son to watch!!

Old 12-12-2014, 01:23 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
The one recommendation I will make to anyone using the NAV TV solution (or any NAV TV) solution is they are a bit lax in their configuration management. So make sure you have it updated to the latest software..

I say that because Each product I've bought from them so far had older software on it. (this one included).

I had an issue with this product because I also installed a front camera (the Module supports front and back but not without the newer software). And it didn't work out of the box.. So I had to call them and eventually it was realized a sw upgrade to the module was needed.

If you are only using a single rear camera (which I assume is the majority) you still may care because I found that even the single rear camera works a bit better than with the older software.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:26 PM
Thanks. The lines being stationary or fixed don't matter much to me. I do like it in larger cars, or my SUV, when the lines bend to indicate front-wheel angle. But on the 991 the fixed lines work just fine. In much larger cars I would think where you are more reliant on the camera viewpoint to maneuver it makes a difference -- but in my case I use the rear camera more for additional safety check before reversing than anything else.

I also found that I can turn-on the rear camera and view through PCM at any time, whether in reverse or not, even while moving! Kinda cool on my spirited drives for my son to watch!!

Yeah I found out that I can also "force" it on as well using that pin in the module.. So you could in theory hook it to a switch...

Old 12-12-2014, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by scatkins
Yeah I found out that I can also "force" it on as well using that pin in the module.. So you could in theory hook it to a switch...
No need to... At least in my install, I found that I can turn the rear camera on-and-off at any time using the rear defroster switch in the console. If you press once, the rear defroster turns on or off depending on the start-state. But if you press twice in succession, within a second or so, the rear camera will activate and you can view the image in the PCM screen. This is even when driving! Pressing rapidly twice again will shut-off the rear camera and return PCM screen to whatever you had on display previously. So the "switch" is already there.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:10 PM
No need to... At least in my install, I found that I can turn the rear camera on-and-off at any time using the rear defroster switch in the console. If you press once, the rear defroster turns on or off depending on the start-state. But if you press twice in succession, within a second or so, the rear camera will activate and you can view the image in the PCM screen. This is even when driving! Pressing rapidly twice again will shut-off the rear camera and return PCM screen to whatever you had on display previously. So the "switch" is already there.

Yes, it does indeed do that.

I'm just saying alternatively if one wanted would be to mount a dedicated switch (in my case I've started modifying the center console buttons so I can use them for other things now), so potentially I might want to have the ability to just push one of the unused buttons and have the rear camera come on momentarily until I release.

I actually kinda of like the idea of doing it this way over the double push of the defroster button. It seems I always push it too fast (you have to push twice but it needs about 3/4 seconds or so between pushes otherwise it just toggles the defroster state).

Actually the primary purpose of the defroster button method is to turn the module on so you can get at the the forward facing cam if installed. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to use the forward cam. The side effect I guess is that is if you only have the rear camera installed, the rear cam becomes visible. I also seem to remember it works slightly different with the newer firmware than it did before I downloaded the newer. Can't remember exactly.

But I guess getting back to my point is that the double press of the def button is kind of a pain (annoying) if you use it all the time like I do since I use it when I pull into my parking spot at work which has a low curb (the reason I put in the forward cam). So a dedicated button that I hold momentarily for just a couple seconds while I figure out how close I am I think may be a bit more handy. (I haven't done it yet just planning to).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 991 Rear View Camera Install - Part 2