991 Rear View Camera Install - Part 2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 03:44 AM
EBuyuk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by scatkins
No, it doesn't have the "predictive" aspect you refer to. But I'm very happy with it as is I don't think you will miss it in the least. (I don't really like the predictive features when I've used them on other cars anyway).

In the end, you really are more interested in seeing what is behind you, the straight lines that are presented are I guess useful, but I've considered cutting the jumper on the camera and removing them completely.

Honestly the CAM2 which is a Sony camera is really pretty good resolution wise and has decent low light capability.
Originally Posted by jawells1
Thanks. The lines being stationary or fixed don't matter much to me. I do like it in larger cars, or my SUV, when the lines bend to indicate front-wheel angle. But on the 991 the fixed lines work just fine. In much larger cars I would think where you are more reliant on the camera viewpoint to maneuver it makes a difference -- but in my case I use the rear camera more for additional safety check before reversing than anything else.

I also found that I can turn-on the rear camera and view through PCM at any time, whether in reverse or not, even while moving! Kinda cool on my spirited drives for my son to watch!!
Thank you for the feedback. I placed the order thru Nav TV. I bought the xg-cam unit, cam 6 camera for the rear and a cam 5 for the front. They were nice enough to give a 10% discount when I mentioned the forum as well.

Originally Posted by scatkins
The one recommendation I will make to anyone using the NAV TV solution (or any NAV TV) solution is they are a bit lax in their configuration management. So make sure you have it updated to the latest software..

I say that because Each product I've bought from them so far had older software on it. (this one included).

I had an issue with this product because I also installed a front camera (the Module supports front and back but not without the newer software). And it didn't work out of the box.. So I had to call them and eventually it was realized a sw upgrade to the module was needed.

If you are only using a single rear camera (which I assume is the majority) you still may care because I found that even the single rear camera works a bit better than with the older software.

How do I check if the software is up to date on the unit?

Old 01-30-2015, 12:40 AM
vaderone is on a distinguished road
Just wanted to thank Plenum for the time he took to develop this excellent DIY. I followed his instructions and was able to install reverse camera on my 2014 cS4.

I would also add that when pulsing the module to reboot the PCM head unit to delete your bluetooth phone during this step. My car has front and rear sensors, therefore, I had to pulse the XG module 5 times. Before pulsing the module, put the car in accessory mode, wait at least a minute for the system to complete its startup phase, and (if have the sport steering wheel) use the red input wire and pulse touch red wire to yellow wire at connector (metal part in connector). Each pulse you should hold the red wire to the yellow connector for about 1 second, release, and pulse again based upon your set-up. In my case I needed to pulse the module 5 times.

After the 5 pulses, it took the head unit about 30 seconds to go into "service mode" meaning the pulses were recognized. Once I got the "Service" screen my PCM took about 5 minutes to reprogram and then reboot to the regular screen.

Once you get your regular screen follow the instructions from Plenum and in "Car Settings" select reverse camera (RVC). Everything works great! I can see through the camera and there is an overlay of the car with sensor ranges.

Thanks again Plenum great job!

Old 01-30-2015, 05:11 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by vaderone
Just wanted to thank Plenum for the time he took to develop this excellent DIY. I followed his instructions and was able to install reverse camera on my 2014 cS4.

I would also add that when pulsing the module to reboot the PCM head unit to delete your bluetooth phone during this step. My car has front and rear sensors, therefore, I had to pulse the XG module 5 times. Before pulsing the module, put the car in accessory mode, wait at least a minute for the system to complete its startup phase, and (if have the sport steering wheel) use the red input wire and pulse touch red wire to yellow wire at connector (metal part in connector). Each pulse you should hold the red wire to the yellow connector for about 1 second, release, and pulse again based upon your set-up. In my case I needed to pulse the module 5 times.

After the 5 pulses, it took the head unit about 30 seconds to go into "service mode" meaning the pulses were recognized. Once I got the "Service" screen my PCM took about 5 minutes to reprogram and then reboot to the regular screen.

Once you get your regular screen follow the instructions from Plenum and in "Car Settings" select reverse camera (RVC). Everything works great! I can see through the camera and there is an overlay of the car with sensor ranges.

Thanks again Plenum great job!
Congrats, and thank you for the shout out. Glad to hear it all worked!
The "pulse" requirement is a very vague reference in the NAV-TV instructions and for most out there probably is very confusing at best. But once figured-out it really is a very simple procedure. They could definitely use some better documentation for us "amateurs" out here!

Old 01-31-2015, 12:46 AM
Thanks Plenum for all the instructions. I also got it installed, your instructions helped a lot! Installed the rear view camera as well as the front camera. One thing I noticed was after having the nav-tv unit installed is that the radio reception is not as clear anymore. Anyone else notice/has this problem as well?

Old 01-31-2015, 06:07 AM
ma991 has a spectacular aura aboutma991 has a spectacular aura aboutma991 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by EBuyuk
Thanks Plenum for all the instructions. I also got it installed, your instructions helped a lot! Installed the rear view camera as well as the front camera. One thing I noticed was after having the nav-tv unit installed is that the radio reception is not as clear anymore. Anyone else notice/has this problem as well?
See post #172 here:
http://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/8...camera-12.html

Hope that helps.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:22 AM
Originally Posted by ma991
See post #172 here:
http://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/8...camera-12.html

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the link. However it mentions that the fm reception problems are with the 420kit. However I have the 375kit. Rear camera 6 (299kit). Front camera 5 (382)

I don't necessarily think that the problem is with the 375/420 kits.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:04 AM
Richard911 is on a distinguished road
Great Job

We had ours professionally installed last year. Same system All in cost was around $1200

Again great job

Old 05-06-2015, 07:46 PM
StevieD'Santi is on a distinguished road
Hey Plenum,

Excellent work as usual, man! I completed your 3rd brake lite mod. Good to know there are great wire-heads like you with 991s. I'm planning to do this mod and was wondering what's the consensus on this module from Porsche: http://www.emeraldintegrations.com/c...ce-module.html ?

_Steve

Old 05-07-2015, 04:58 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by StevieD'Santi
Hey Plenum,

Excellent work as usual, man! I completed your 3rd brake lite mod. Good to know there are great wire-heads like you with 991s. I'm planning to do this mod and was wondering what's the consensus on this module from Porsche: http://www.emeraldintegrations.com/c...ce-module.html ?

_Steve
Hi Steve- I personally can't comment on the Emerald product. I didn't run across them back when I tackled my DIY project. But I would guess that if you look a bit deeper into the individual components that they are sourced from manufacturers such as NAV-TV. Note that it appears the Emerald product is available only for Panamera and Cayenne installs, and I didn't find any 991 products listed on the Emerald site (may be why I hadn't considered them). For $348 sounds like a steal, but it is likely you have other costs to add-on if this is purely a switching interface (and not a controller for the video sources). NAV-TV has a similar product.

If you try it out, please do a right-up for others to compare with.

Thanks!

Old 05-07-2015, 05:50 AM
gwi991 is on a distinguished road
I can see the need for this in suv but really our cars are so small and low to the ground i have to ask why just turn your head to look out the rear or have some become so lazy to do even that.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:13 AM
Originally Posted by gwi991
I can see the need for this in suv but really our cars are so small and low to the ground i have to ask why just turn your head to look out the rear or have some become so lazy to do even that.
I thought for about a second whether this ignorance is even worth responding to, but then realized that there are just enough of similar mind-set out there that I couldn't resist...

Your brilliant argument is like saying there is no need for ABS, because how hard could it be to hit the brakes without locking-up? Or air bags, or seat belts, or auto-locking doors, or DRLs, or auto-distance controls, or, or, or, or......

Thank you for that significant contribution to the 6SpeedOnline 991 community! I am sure your post will now become a reference source for all the lazy P-car drivers out there who are seeking-out the wisdom and relevance your insightful commentary has imparted upon us all. I vote to make it a "sticky" post.

This discussion thread can now end as it has reached the zenith of informative.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:48 PM
Rapture1 is on a distinguished road
Similar cars, similar thoughts.

Smaller kids could be behind our small cars.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:07 PM
gwi991 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by plenum
I thought for about a second whether this ignorance is even worth responding to, but then realized that there are just enough of similar mind-set out there that I couldn't resist...

Your brilliant argument is like saying there is no need for ABS, because how hard could it be to hit the brakes without locking-up? Or air bags, or seat belts, or auto-locking doors, or DRLs, or auto-distance controls, or, or, or, or......

Thank you for that significant contribution to the 6SpeedOnline 991 community! I am sure your post will now become a reference source for all the lazy P-car drivers out there who are seeking-out the wisdom and relevance your insightful commentary has imparted upon us all. I vote to make it a "sticky" post.

This discussion thread can now end as it has reached the zenith of informative.
Really now what is wrong with you lighten up. And how can you compare a backup camera to the things you mention thats ridiculous. I was just stating that i just didnt see the need for something like that in our cars since they are so small. Totally stupid to respond like the way you did now go sit in your car and enjoy your rear view camera!!!

Last edited by gwi991; 05-07-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:21 PM
DanInLA is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gwi991
Really now what is wrong with you lighten up. And how can you compare a backup camera to the things you mention thats ridiculous. I was just stating that i just didnt see the need for something like that in our cars since they are so small. Totally stupid to respond like the way you did now go sit in your car and enjoy your rear view camera!!!
I wish I had a backup camera in my C2S cabriolet. Just turning my head doesn't give me any visibility with the top up.

I think the mistake you made is assuming that just because you think it's not necessary then everyone else does as well. Also, did you expect not to get picked apart by calling those of us who would like a rear view camera lazy?

Old 07-15-2015, 07:22 PM
Cpages2 is on a distinguished road
So I purchased the PCM-3.1 XG-Cam System for my 2013 911 C2

https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT375/pcm31-xg-cam.html

Had it professional installed however I seem to be having two odd issues that other installed members say they don't have.

1) When I go into D from R (PDK) the camera goes off immediately, reading the install post and others they all say their favorite feature is the camera stays on for a few seconds when moving forward.

2) When I am in the Car Settings screen and go under Backup Camera and choose show screen I just get a black screen that says OBSERVER SURROUNDINGS. It does not show the video.

Any help or insight would be awesome!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 991 Rear View Camera Install - Part 2