DIY: 991 Upper Third Brake Light Removal

Old 10-08-2014, 03:39 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
DIY: 991 Upper Third Brake Light Removal

The instructions below are specific to my 2014 991 C4S -- and for my own project... I do NOT go into how to remove the "lower" third brake light -- the one that is visible only when my active aero wing is deployed -- but if someone really needs a guide I will post something on that one as well.

Why remove the LED bar? Well, there may be a number of reasons, including replacement, or maybe using in another aero piece or tail. Whatever the reason, this should help....

Following are the few steps you'll need to take to remove the "upper" third brake light from the engine lid vent cover on a 991 (without ducktail or spoiler!). This DIY picks-up directly after the previous DIY, 991 Engine Lid Vent Grill Removal, so please start there if you are just starting-out on a project to that requires you to remove the LED bar.

For the remaining steps, you will only need some microfiber towels and a small standard screwdriver.

Here we go!

1. Go over to the grill you've already removed. Flip it over so that you are looking at the back-side...

2. Locate the two retaining clamps which are holding the brake light LED strip in place (circled in the pic below)

3. Hold the grill cover in a position that gives you access to the retaining clamps but is safely holding the cover to keep it from falling and getting scratched... Also make sure to hold onto the brake light as you dislodge it, as it WILL fall to the ground as soon as you release the clamps!

4. Use your micro screwdriver and push on the black tab inside the clamp. You want to push down away from the clamp until it snaps-free.

Repeat on the other side, and if you were keeping your hand over the LED bar it will just fall into your hand.... Or you may just need to flip the grill over and pull it gently from the front-side.

And you now have the LED bar separated from the grill... Here are a few shots of the part:

And the grill minus the LED bar...

And you are DONE!!!

As a last instruction -- to replace the LED bar in the grill just position the light in the opening and push on each side until you hear the "snap" of the clamp grabbing onto the mounting pin.

Hope you find this DIY a good reference for your own purposes.

Cheers!