991.2 C2S - 530hp / 520 lb ft

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 01:43 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by zhecks
Finally, Porsche is addressing the HP race with the competition. I know Porsche is not about 0-60 acceleration but if a M3 outruns a 911 or 911s, it is just not right. M3 should not even be comparing to a 911, maybe a cayman. That's what M5 is supposed to compete with ( at a performance level).

I think this is great news.
Straight line speed has never been something Porsche has boasted about. Sure, the M4 may "outrun" a Carrera S in a straight line, but pay attention to track lap times. A base Carrera laps faster than a brand-new M4.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:41 PM
stealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Christophosphorus
Straight line speed has never been something Porsche has boasted about. Sure, the M4 may "outrun" a Carrera S in a straight line, but pay attention to track lap times. A base Carrera laps faster than a brand-new M4.
Useful if you are buying car for track only. But most people drive these cars on the street.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:21 PM
991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Useful if you are buying car for track only. But most people drive these cars on the street.
Not so sure, that's correct. Many people buy these cars for both track & street. I have no data to support my view other than what I see at the track. I would welcome data that supports your conclusion.

Frank C.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:03 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot

Meh, not a good argument. I track my car multiple times a year, and that's why I picked the 911. It's a light(er)weight, high-revving alternative to the bloated, turbo boats we have available in the car market at the moment.

Besides, cars on the street can't legally make use of any real power, right? If that were the case, you'd opt for a $35,000 Mustang GT, add $2,000 in mods, and be king of your neighborhood. Or, if I wanted luxury and straight-line speed, I'd get an M6, a C63 Coupe, etc.

There's a reason the 911, with it's so-called peaky (critics read "underpowered") engine has been a smash hit among enthusiasts for decades. I bought this car because it feels completely different from 90% of the cars out there, and it's a true performer beyond a straight line.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:48 AM
Grunty will become famous soon enough
If the holy grail is fuel efficiency, why not go full Monty a la p1/ laferrari/918 and do a hybrid? Going turbo across the whole line doesn't really offer huge gains, does it? Bonkers performance in Race mode and "look how green we are" Eco mode.

That being said, I am totally for having the boxster turboed. When I drive my wife's boxster s, I love the way it handles but it does need substantially more zip.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:05 AM
Havok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of light
I can't see the entire 911 range go turbo. What I do see happening is the base 991.2 getting the 991.1 carrera S engine and power bump, and rest of the line up getting hybrid motors. This gives you the power bump everyone wants and economy demanded by govts, while preserving the 911 turbo as the "turbo" model cars.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:15 PM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Grunty
If the holy grail is fuel efficiency, why not go full Monty a la p1/ laferrari/918 and do a hybrid?
Battery cost / replacement....give it 10 ~ years. But that is the future...I hope.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:33 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
400 HP is a joke. Everyone has more..... IMHO the car does not need more power. Having more Torque will be nice......

Old 10-22-2014, 12:48 PM
naples991 is on a distinguished road
I have watched Porsche upgrade their HP ratings since I owned my first 911 in 1988. They have ALWAYS been conservative in increasing HP model to model.

Sometimes car MFGs need to make a leap out of the norm to stay competitive. BMW did this with the twin turbo 335 making them comparable to Audi S-badged models, but with better gas mileage

Old 10-22-2014, 01:40 PM
Vetsky is on a distinguished road
I'm just curious what everyone thinks the power "should" be to keep up with other brands, and is it required for a mid-model refresh?

Do you think sales of the 911 would increase if it had another 50HP? I'm not so sure. I think Porsche is all about the whole package, and most buyers appreciate that.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:53 PM
tx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by m5_2010
400 HP is a joke. Everyone has more..... IMHO the car does not need more power. Having more Torque will be nice......
A new M5 weighing 1200 lbs. more than a 911S is a joke.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:55 PM
porsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to behold
Well I went from a 2010 Cayman S to the 2013 Carrera S yeah for more power without a doubt. The Cayman could certainly use more hp/tq. And to be honest for part of the exclusivity the 911 brings. But why can't we have our cake and eat it too. I want more power and still preserve the handling.
Competition is getting stiffer, with the new Vette and the new Z06 for under 80k, the Z06 will not only beat me in the straights but probably (for sure) the corners as well. Not to mention the GT-R

Old 10-22-2014, 02:14 PM
Vetsky is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by porsche42
Well I went from a 2010 Cayman S to the 2013 Carrera S yeah for more power without a doubt.
Fair enough. I figured most people that moved from the 987 to 981 move as a result of the new model. Exterior, interior etc..

If it was the same power would have you switched?

Old 10-22-2014, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by m5_2010
The 911 is a racetrack-bred car. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out, yet it's clear that many people consistently overlook that fact. This isn't a "go fast in a straight line" car, and it has never been. Now, if Porsche decides to completely change the direction of the 911, that's on them.

I find it amazing that so-called enthusiasts actually complain about the 911's power output without ever paying attention to its true home: the track. It's a lightweight, high-revving masterpiece that handles like a dream. If you're in the market for a stoplight drag car, get an AMG car and call it a day. If you're still interested in Porsche, get the Turbo.

Originally Posted by Vetsky
I'm just curious what everyone thinks the power "should" be to keep up with other brands, and is it required for a mid-model refresh?

Do you think sales of the 911 would increase if it had another 50HP? I'm not so sure. I think Porsche is all about the whole package, and most buyers appreciate that.
Another 50hp would be an interesting addition, but you're correct by saying that most 911 buyers are indeed interested in the "whole package." That's why I bought a 911 instead of an M3/4, M5/6, AMGs, Jaguar F-Type, etc.

The thing that strikes me as odd is the fact that owners (or potential owners) complain about the power output. 400hp... what more do you want for daily driving or a weekend cruiser? If you're gunning for the "Most Power" show, you shouldn't even be considering (or shouldn't have purchased) a Carrera.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:25 PM
porsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Vetsky
Fair enough. I figured most people that moved from the 987 to 981 move as a result of the new model. Exterior, interior etc..

If it was the same power would have you switched?

No I would not have. Probably gone to the Nissan GT-R

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991.2 C2S - 530hp / 520 lb ft